Start by marking “The Best American Classics” as Want to Read:
The Best American Classics

The Best American Classics

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
A Best Recipe Series Classic available in paperback for the first time! Over the years, some classic American recipes have fallen into disrepair, barely recognizable shadows of their former selves. If you wanted a recipe for cornbread, fried chicken, hermit cookies, or green bean casserole that tastes at least as good as you remember, where would you find it? The Best Amer ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Cook's Illustrated (first published August 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Best American Classics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best American Classics

Mary
Jul 29, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, cookbook
Okay, I know what my friends are thinking...this is a cookbook and you don't "really" cook! However, I was intrigued by these people's obsession with perfection and fool-proofing (since I can't seem to achieve either). I happened to see the America's Test Kitchen show on PBS one night, and looked them up to see if they had any books in the library. And they did!

There were various books that I checked out from the same group, but this one only has the regular recipes that you see everywhere. How
Kendra
Nov 13, 2010 Kendra rated it it was amazing

Things have been a little busy around here and I haven't had time to really delve deeply into recreating all of the fantabulous offerings found within this book. But I did try the bacon. (We are so classy.) I have always favored the pan-frying method myself, while my mother always preferred the microwave. The book proposed trying it in the oven. We tried it. We liked it. Not really life changing. We don't eat THAT much bacon. But it is still good information.
Feb 01, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I did enjoy the breakdown of experiments to find the "perfect" recipe as presented in this book. That said, I tried several and didn't like them a tremendous amount, but the breakdown of how they came to their decisions on what made that recipe tops helped me adjust the recipe to my liking. Does that make sense?
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it liked it
This is not my favorite of the series, but it is very good, especially if your cookook collection doesn't cover this area
Shannon Stardust
Shannon Stardust rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
robin
robin rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
rita melvin
rita melvin rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Eleanore
Eleanore marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Rebecca Kasper
Rebecca Kasper rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Darcy
Darcy rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2014
Bj Henderson
Bj Henderson marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Heather Henkel
Heather Henkel rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
A
A marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Anita Juliao
Anita Juliao marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Kendra
Kendra rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Patti Trehar
Patti Trehar marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Andrea Huehnerhoff
Andrea Huehnerhoff rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2013
Foxglove Zayuri
Foxglove Zayuri marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2013
Sreevidhya
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2013
Cynthia Wood
Cynthia Wood rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013