Start by marking “Who Owns Antiquity?: Museums and the Battle Over Our Ancient Heritage” as Want to Read:
Who Owns Antiquity?: Museums and the Battle Over Our Ancient Heritage

Who Owns Antiquity?: Museums and the Battle Over Our Ancient Heritage

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  17 reviews

Whether antiquities should be returned to the countries where they were found is one of the most urgent and controversial issues in the art world today, and it has pitted museums, private collectors, and dealers against source countries, archaeologists, and academics. Maintaining that the acquisition of undocumented antiquities by museums encourages the looting of archaeol
Published June 1st 2008 by Princeton University Press (first published April 21st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Who Owns Antiquity?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Owns Antiquity?

The Rape of Europa by Lynn H. NicholasThe Rescue Artist by Edward DolnickThe Forger's Spell by Edward DolnickThe Lady in Gold by Anne-Marie  O'ConnorMuseum of the Missing by Simon Houpt
Art Crime
17th out of 41 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

An interesting, passionate argument against retentionist cultural property laws. I am inclined to lean toward the author's side of the fence, in that antiquities are the property of the world community and do not belong to single nation-states, but the text's praise of "globalization" made me a bit apprehensive. A global community is ideal, but until we get past nation-state egos my fear is of globalization becoming some kind of weapon ("the most superior nation-state gets to globalize in its ow ...more
The crux of Cuno's argument is essentially pro-museum: Ancient art and artifacts belong to humankind and should therefore be held in a way that they can be best studied and viewed by all, as well as be best preserved, and modern nation-states, particularly when they have no lineage from or appreciation of the ancient civilization from which the works came, should not have property rights in such works simply because the works happened to have been found in the soil within a given nation-state's ...more
John David
While still conspicuously ignorant of the subjects, museum acquisitions, museology in general, and the debates concerning (re)appropriation of “culturally significant objects” all fascinate me. James Cuno manages to cover all these bases in this book whose major question is: Do modern states have the right to demand the return of objects that may be deemed to have cultural, aesthetic, or national value? And if they do, what reasons validate this demand?

Cuno’s short answer is that states don’t h
Jim O'Donnell
One year ago, New York’s Metropolitan Museum announced that it will return 19 objects from King Tut’s tomb to Egypt – 19 small bits and fragments. The Met has been quick to toot its own horn, saying the return of these objects was voluntary and that they were under no legal obligation to do anything. But we’re not talking the Rosetta Stone here. Nor the famous Nefertiti bust held in Berlin. Nor the incredible Haremhad statue detained at the Met. Nineteen trinkets is nothing to crow about. Ahhh b ...more
Title is self-explanatory - discusses issues of nationality and imperialism in the management of historical artefacts. The author is making an argument against nationalistic retention, but still provides a very good overview.
If you believe that the Elgin marbles should be returned to Athens because the contemporary geopolitical entity that holds sovereignty there asserts they belong to it because they are essential to its cultural esteem (and where they were found), this book is not for you.
Thought provoking. Certainly an interesting take on a challenging issue, who owns what is found below the ground of the country you're in?
Vanessa Ruth
brings up some good points, however, hard to get past the self-important and self-righteous attitude that comes across in the writing.
Interesting because he lays out the legal arguments, as well as cultural arguments of why groups may or may not have claim to antiquities simply because they were once part of their land. Whose cultures have benefitted? How have acheologists and anthropologists avoided being an active and productive part of the discussion? Cuno addresses these topics and more. I will never visit an art, natural history, or cultural museum with the same eye ever again.
Cuno argues that current laws and policies regarding archaeological finds are conducive only to nationalism, not education. "What, we wondered, is a national culture in this modern age, when the geographic extent of so many cultures does not coincide with national borders, and when national borders are usually new and artificial creations designating sovereignty over the cultural artifacts of peoples no longer extant or no longer in political power?"
Dec 04, 2008 Rachel marked it as to-read
Shelves: nonfiction, history
So far, I am only in the introduction, but I really enjoy what I am reading. It has discussed the Elgin/Parthenon Marbles, the Rosetta Stone and ancient Chinese Bronzes. It is very easy to read and I am interested to see where it goes from here.
Talbot Hook
A very good read, in all. However, the parts on the political side, especially in terms of international and nationalistic retentionist policies, were too technical. Apart from that, it was well thought-out, and the history was told well.
Cynthia Acierno
Thought-provoking. I don't entirely agree with Cuno's conclusions about western museums as the best custodians for ancient artifacts but he makes a good case and raises all the right issues using real-world examples.
SO boring and the digital edition's quality was awful; black boxes instead of images, a dearth of capital letters at the beginning of sentences and proper nouns... Dreadful. I couldn't bring myself to finish it.
blah. apologia for the centralization of global history into museums built, funded and run by rich dead (on the inside) europeans. Q: Who owns antiquity? A: The same people who own everything else.
This book changed the way I view antiquities and their ownership. It systematically goes through every possible argument and debunks it. This is truly a great read!
Judy Scheibach
At times difficult to read but has some very thought-provoking content.
Ivy marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Deborah marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Anne Ratchford
Anne Ratchford marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Susan Johnston
Susan Johnston marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Andrew Meintzer
Andrew Meintzer marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Britta marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Terry Roberts
Terry Roberts marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
karen heaney
karen heaney marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Gary Roman
Gary Roman marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Travis marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Future of the Past
  • Inside the White Cube: The Ideology of the Gallery Space
  • Stealing History: Tomb Raiders, Smugglers, and the Looting of the Ancient World
  • Loot: The Battle over the Stolen Treasures of the Ancient World
  • The Silk Road in World History
  • The Medici Conspiracy: The Illicit Journey of Looted Antiquities--From Italy's Tomb Raiders to the World's Greatest Museums
  • From Lucy to Language: Revised, Updated, and Expanded
  • The Great Human Diasporas: The History Of Diversity And Evolution
  • Chasing Aphrodite: The Hunt for Looted Antiquities at the World's Richest Museum
  • Pictures & Tears: A History of People Who Have Cried in Front of Paintings
  • Hot Art: Chasing Thieves and Detectives Through the Secret World of Stolen Art
  • Origins Reconsidered: In Search of What Makes Us Human
  • Skull Wars: Kennewick Man, Archaeology, and the Battle for Native American Identity
  • Cherokee Women: Gender and Culture Change, 1700-1835
  • Decoding the Heavens: A 2,000-Year-Old Computer and the Century-Long Search to Discover Its Secrets
  • Exhibiting Cultures: The Poetics and Politics of Museum Display