Start by marking “Another Republic: 17 European and South American Writers” as Want to Read:
Another Republic: 17 European and South American Writers

Another Republic: 17 European and South American Writers

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  10 reviews
First published in 1976, this astonishing anthology from two U.S. Poet Laureates, Charles Simic and Mark Strand, compiles a selection of the finest translated literature of the time, showcasing the then-little-known writers who had a profound influence on the current generation of poets.
Published April 1st 2008 by Ecco (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Another Republic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Republic

Steven
The seventeen poets collected here present the two sides of the international modernist/surrealist movement. These poets’ work is either concerned with creating new myths that explore the world with a fresh surrealist eye or with documenting the historical events that shaped their countries’ histories. Of the former group, Julio Cortazar’s prose poems are the most inventive and inspiring, as they combine the surreal imagery and flat tone of the movement with human themes. His excellent “The Lin ...more
Cooper Renner
Anthologies are always a grab-bag, writers you might be sympathetic to, others you aren't. But this fairly small collection samples from quite a number of "foreign" literatures and comes up mostly on the winning side. I found Henri Michaux particularly interesting, among the writers I'm not really familiar with, and found the selections of Yannis Ritsos--whom I think often quite good--not very interesting at all.
Daniel Rounds
This is probably the most important book of translations I have ever read. This book opened a whole new world of international poetry to me and shaped my reading agenda for almost two decades.
Mii
This book is a great read!
Megan
If the American poetry scene has got you down, this book is a good refuge. Poems about eggs, math, the weight of clouds and other things. A lot of the translations were so well done I kept flipping to the back of the book to see if the poem had originally been written in English.
Kallie
I have read this book (on my 'keeper' shelf) several times. Simic and Strand offer a wonderful introduction to these poets, who are mind-expanding and don't settle for 'beauty.'
Gary McDowell
Introduced me to Ponge, Herbert, Pessoa, Amichai, Celan, Holub, etc. So very important.
Wendy
This anthology felt a bit uneven, but the best work floored me.
Allie
Notes: For class. Christopher Merrill's poetry Bible!
Fred
this book changed my life.
Amy
Amy added it
Jul 19, 2015
Parro
Parro added it
Jul 18, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Michał Piątkowski
Michał Piątkowski marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Ti
Ti marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Vitali Rabinovich
Vitali Rabinovich marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Steve
Steve added it
Dec 11, 2014
Holly Mitchell
Holly Mitchell marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Janel
Janel marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Jeanette Cheong
Jeanette Cheong marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
jorycat
jorycat marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Charles Simic (born Dušan Simić) is a Serbian-American poet and the 15th Poet Laureate of the United States. He is co-Poetry Editor of the Paris Review. Simic is the 2007 recipient of the Wallace Stevens Award from the Academy of American Poets. This $100,000 (US) prize recognizes outstanding and proven mastery in the art of poetry.
More about Charles Simic...
The World Doesn't End The Voice at 3:00 A.M.: Selected Late and New Poems Walking the Black Cat Hotel Insomnia Sixty Poems