Start by marking “Another Republic: 17 European and South American Writers” as Want to Read:
Another Republic: 17 European and South American Writers

Another Republic: 17 European and South American Writers

First published in 1976, this astonishing anthology from two U.S. Poet Laureates, Charles Simic and Mark Strand, compiles a selection of the finest translated literature of the time, showcasing the then-little-known writers who had a profound influence on the current generation of poets.

Published April 1st 2008 by Ecco (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Another Republic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Republic

Steven
Mar 06, 2008 Steven rated it liked it
The seventeen poets collected here present the two sides of the international modernist/surrealist movement. These poets’ work is either concerned with creating new myths that explore the world with a fresh surrealist eye or with documenting the historical events that shaped their countries’ histories. Of the former group, Julio Cortazar’s prose poems are the most inventive and inspiring, as they combine the surreal imagery and flat tone of the movement with human themes. His excellent “The Lin ...more
Cooper Renner
Aug 07, 2014 Cooper Renner rated it really liked it
Anthologies are always a grab-bag, writers you might be sympathetic to, others you aren't. But this fairly small collection samples from quite a number of "foreign" literatures and comes up mostly on the winning side. I found Henri Michaux particularly interesting, among the writers I'm not really familiar with, and found the selections of Yannis Ritsos--whom I think often quite good--not very interesting at all.
Megan
Oct 22, 2007 Megan rated it really liked it
If the American poetry scene has got you down, this book is a good refuge. Poems about eggs, math, the weight of clouds and other things. A lot of the translations were so well done I kept flipping to the back of the book to see if the poem had originally been written in English.
Daniel Rounds
Jul 11, 2014 Daniel Rounds rated it it was amazing
This is probably the most important book of translations I have ever read. This book opened a whole new world of international poetry to me and shaped my reading agenda for almost two decades.
Kallie
Jul 06, 2012 Kallie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I have read this book (on my 'keeper' shelf) several times. Simic and Strand offer a wonderful introduction to these poets, who are mind-expanding and don't settle for 'beauty.'
Fred
Dec 28, 2007 Fred rated it it was amazing
this book changed my life.
TC
TC rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2008
Colby Cotton
Colby Cotton rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Eve
Eve rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2009
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2013
cold green tea
cold green tea rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2008
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2014
Jeff Streeby
Jeff Streeby rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2013
John
John rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2009
M.B.
M.B. rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2009
Arkskier
Arkskier rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2014
Robert Beveridge
Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2008
Amie
Amie rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Challie Facemire
Challie Facemire rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2012
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2009
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2009
Gary McDowell
Jul 11, 2007 Gary McDowell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Introduced me to Ponge, Herbert, Pessoa, Amichai, Celan, Holub, etc. So very important.
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Lea C.
Lea C. rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2008
Dore Kiesselbach
Dore Kiesselbach rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2013
Allie
Notes: For class. Christopher Merrill's poetry Bible!
Jill Johnson
Jill Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2009
Jack Hayes
Jack Hayes rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2010
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Dia
Dia rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Charles Simic (born Dušan Simić) is a Serbian-American poet and the 15th Poet Laureate of the United States. He is co-Poetry Editor of the Paris Review. Simic is the 2007 recipient of the Wallace Stevens Award from the Academy of American Poets. This $100,000 (US) prize recognizes outstanding and proven mastery in the art of poetry.
More about Charles Simic...