Seawitch

Seawitch

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  1,313 ratings  ·  12 reviews
There were ten of them. Oil magnates. All in a secret meeting to plot the destruction of Lord Worth, England's famous oil billionaire. They hired the notorious troubleshooter Cronkite -- violent, ruthless, deadly. Cronkite was not above using nuclear weapons. The target: Seawitch. Lord Worth's massive ocean oil rig. But Lord Worth had a few tricks of his own. The most dead...more
Published 1979 by Fontana (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Seawitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seawitch

Catyj
Another Alistair MacLean novel that I first read as a teenager (my father's selection of books has a lot to answer for). Again, there are no surprises. Our hero is beyond skill and beyond reproach. His love interest is weak and flat and silly, and just a tad whiny. The bad guys have destruction of epic proportions in mind. And the US military is easily flummoxed and deceived. Seawitch remains another of my favourite MacLean novels - alongside Circus, The Golden Gate and River of Death.
Alistair...more
Matthew DeBettencourt
Ten major oil investors plot against one of the most powerful oil tycoons in the world, a British Lord named Lord Worth. But when Lord Worth catches wind of their secret meeting, he comes up with a plan to defend the Seawitch--his most prominent oil rig--at any cost.

Believe it or not, I actually picked up this book because, shortly before seeing it, Alistair MacLean was a question (or answer?) on Jeopardy. So I read it, and I enjoyed it.
It is fast-paced, so despite the long chapters, the ride wi...more
Gannonl
In the world of big oil business' anything goes. Even if people may get hurt. That is the way that ten of the biggest oil magnates work. They hire a ruthless man to destroy the dream rig of their top rival. The only things that the ten magnates did not count on were the work of two private detectives, how ruthless their man actually was, and the connections millionaires have.
Allister MacLean writes a great novel filled with suspense, romance, and lots of action.
Suby
A three legged oil drilling rig owned by a British Lord, 10 of his competitors who wants the lord and his rig destroyed to stabilize oil prices, a villain who will undertake the demolition of the lord and his rig and two ex cops turned private detectives - these are the characters.
The story is fast paced with all of Alistair MacLean intrigues and suspense. A good thriller to read for leisure.
Nerissa
Surprised they haven't made a cheap hollywood movie staring sean connery as the wealth oil mogul scot and steven segal as the renegade cop. Some very unbelievable scenarios that would suit hollywood.
Ludo Theuns
Het is ongelofelijk dat de reeks van techno trillers die zo lang geleden geschreven zijn, ook vandaag nog zonder moeite de lezer kunnen boeien, zonder ouderwets over te komen.
Fredrick Danysh
The Sea Witch is an oil drilling platform in the North Sea. A group of terrorists attempt to capture and destroy the rig. One man has to prevent this.
Sarah Sammis
I've heard good things about MacLean's books but even at the halfway point in this book I just wasn't engaging with the plot or the characters.
Glen
loathed the smug "heroes",particularly Lord Worth.a rare misfire from Maclean
Hazel
I read lots of MacLean during my teens. Picked up the habit from my father.
Srikanth R
An OK read...Definitely not the best of Alistair Maclean
Intrepid86
Intrepid86 marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Robert Jenkins
Robert Jenkins marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Hamish Mclennan
Hamish Mclennan marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
James Love
James Love marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
  • The Tightrope Men
  • In the Hour Before Midnight
  • XPD
  • Octopussy
  • The Snare of the Hunter
  • The Wreck Of The 'Mary Deare'
  • The Matlock Paper
Alistair Stuart MacLean (Scottish Gaelic: Alasdair MacGill-Eain), the son of a Scots Minister, was brought up in the Scottish Highlands. In 1941, at the age of eighteen, he joined the Royal Navy; two and a half years spent aboard a cruiser were to give him the background for 'HMS Ulysses', his first novel, the outstanding documentary novel on the war at sea. After the war he gained an English Hono...more
More about Alistair MacLean...
Where Eagles Dare The Guns of Navarone Ice Station Zebra When Eight Bells Toll Force 10 from Navarone