Start by marking “Lost New York” as Want to Read:
Lost New York

Lost New York

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  7 reviews
When it was first published in 1968, the critically acclaimed LOST NEW YORK became an instant classic for the way it reawakened a lost city. Now expanded and updated, with 118 new photographs, the book reveals a fresh, true picture of New York as it has lived and grown, with startling reminders of how much that has vanished remains part of us. From the grandeur of the old
Paperback, Expanded and Updated Edition, 288 pages
Published August 8th 2000 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Lost New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost New York

I requested this book after watching the movie Cinderella Man. I was blown away by the images of the "Hooverville" which was set up in Central Park during the Depression.

This book has a ton of really great photographs of buildings, parks, hotels, museums and theaters. There are stories about demolitions and building. Can't wait to go to NYC and look at some of the buildings I read about.
Monica
This is the big weenie published in 1967 and other editions covering other cities have followed. I remember the hub-bub around the house about the demolition of Penn Station. This book made me strain to remember the old Penn station, which I couldn't do because our station was Grand Central. It was a defining moment for me. I surfed to Ireland to find the original (proper) book jacket.
Monica
Oct 17, 2007 Monica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
It took moving away from New York to fully appreciate it's architecture. I can read this bok every few years and still be touched by it. NY is still the greatest place on earth.
Jordan
I love anything New York (City) and here is the chance to see really amazing old buildings of New York that has been torn down.
Andy
Sep 01, 2007 Andy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: History and/or Photography
Shelves: history
As close as you can get to using a time machine! The photographs are wonderful, and the text is very extensive. Beautiful book.
Dan Lollis
This book is about buildings that no longer exist in New York...I wish I could have seen them.
Lynn Calvin
Amazon preorder,Amazon received
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Jj
Jj marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Brad V
Brad V marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Misha
Misha marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Kookoo
Kookoo added it
Aug 23, 2014
Ann Assorgi
Ann Assorgi marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Toree
Toree marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Ana Andjelkovic
Ana Andjelkovic marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Dave Courtney
Dave Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Mumbler
Mumbler marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Making of Beaubourg Schwartz/Silver Architects: Work in Progress Adhocism: The case for improvisation