Start by marking “Summer of the Dragon” as Want to Read:
Summer of the Dragon

Summer of the Dragon

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  2,279 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
A good salary and an all-expenses-paid summer spent a sprawling Arizona ranch is too good a deal for fledgling anthropologist D.J. Abbott to turn down. What does it matter that her rich new employer/benefactor, Hank Hunnicutt, is a certified oddball who is presently funding all manner of off-beat projects, from alien conspiracy studies to a hunt for dragon bones? There's e ...more
Published March 6th 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of the Dragon

Vasilia
Sep 07, 2014 Vasilia rated it really liked it
Sometimes Elizabeth Peters reminds me strangely of Diana Wynne Jones ... esp. this book, which has several very Deep Secret moments, such as the eccentric convention of odd characters. It's a good thing! The only part about this book that I really couldn't stand was the fact that she kept mentioning the hero's moustache ... I just couldn't picture him as attractive when the only image coming to my mind was 70s cowboy ... yuck. Apart from this point, which I fully admit is totally shallow and wit ...more
CatBookMom
3/24 I am not finding this particularly interesting. I am puzzled by the high ratings, because, while there are some interesting characters in this, mostly it's been chit-chat, low on plot.
Johnna
Jun 23, 2017 Johnna rated it it was amazing
Modern style gothic.....you can never go wrong with this author!
Kara
Dec 30, 2016 Kara rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Relatively forgettable, but has an enjoyable protagonist.
Pato Myers
A quick and enjoyable read. Not quite was I expected, but still a fun read.
Marita
Feb 25, 2017 Marita rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book is so trivial that I almost did not want to finish it.
Tracy
Mar 24, 2009 Tracy rated it liked it
This was just a regular mystery with a regular romance woven in that resolved in the regular way. Hints at the culprit were there all along, and in the end we find one character knew the truth the whole time. It was an easy and quick read. I thought this novel was entertaining without straining any brain cells.

The characters made this book enjoyable for me. Elizabeth Peters gives us whole people to read about, not just personality traits and hodge-podge histories. Her books are about people who
Matthew Galloway
Aug 24, 2014 Matthew Galloway rated it really liked it
I loved the D.J.'s character in this novel. She was just so refreshing and fun. Intelligent, opinionated, happy with herself without having to conform... Sarcastic and realistic enough to not be bothered by all these expectations around her... (even if she was not a great archaeologist) Speaking of the archaeology... I loved the anthropology references in the book. I'm guessing Peters had an American anthropology background, because the information was good (though not deeply explored -- the ant ...more
Samantha
Apr 08, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
D.J. signs up to do an internship for an eccentric millionaire down in Arizona. When she gets to the mansion where she’s to spend her summer working she finds a bunch of weirdo’s whose professions range from alien hunters to past life readers. These nuts are all there for one thing, Hank –the millionaire’s- money. After some strange events happen in the mansion Hank turns up missing and D.J., Tom, and one of the maids are the only people who are worried. So they start looking for him and recruit ...more
Jessi
D. J. Abbott left her summer plans until the last minute. So when an all-expenses paid opportunity to stretch her anthropologic wings. It turns out the job is for the fabulously wealthy Hank Hunnicutt. Unfortunately, Hank is also known for his... eccentricities. When D. J. arrives at his southwestern mansion, it's filled to the rafters with hangers-on who are telling him about past lives and Atlantis and every other crackpot theory that's out there. So when Hank tells D. J. she's going to be hel ...more
Laina
Sep 23, 2009 Laina rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I was hesitant when I first started this book. For some reason it has always annoyed me when the narrator talks directly to the reader about "reading this book." From the first chapter, I prepared myself to think the voice was forced and not enjoy it at all.

However, it grew on me. I started to understand the humor, and soon I found myself laughing out loud. The main character and narrator D.J. was spunky, blunt, and quite frankly hilarious. I loved the story that involved all of the "crazies," a
Kyla
May 28, 2016 Kyla rated it really liked it
This is one of my Grandma's favourite books - she's been mentioning it for years, telling me that everyone she knows from 14 to 98 has loved it - and I figured it was about time to find myself a copy. I've never read anything by Elizabeth Peters before but I'll definitely be reading more because this book was hilarious and very well written. There were a few elements of the story that I didn't love but I just reminded myself that the book was written in the late 70s and nothing was bad enough to ...more
Carolyn F.
I've read a Barbara Michaels book (aka Elizabeth Peters) about a smart aleck woman who eats constantly large amounts of food and talks about food all the time. So guess what this book is about, a smart aleck woman who eats constantly large amounts of food and talks about food all the time. Also in both books the heroes are dark skinned, meanies, that fall in love in the last 10 pages. Can you say formulaic?

From the above, I guess you can tell I didn't care for the book. I rarely give one star b
Beth E
Apr 23, 2014 Beth E rated it really liked it
I had my to-read books in a jumble, and when I started this I was under the vague impression it was a fantasy book recommended by Robin McKinley. Clearly, I did not look at the author when I grabbed it off the pile of books. In this state, I was very impressed with the realistic description of the world of academia. I wondered how on earth the book was going to transition to fantasy.

Well, of course it never did transition into a fantasy book, but it was a very satisfying read nonetheless. I felt
JC
Apr 22, 2010 JC rated it really liked it
I really thought this book was going to be a 5 after the first few pages. I love the sarcastic attitude that D.J. takes to everything. It made me laugh. Unfortunately, things slowed down quite a bit during the course of the book and while I still enjoyed it quite a bit, it wasn't as good as my first impressions led me to believe. D.J. is a funny girl who is a bit of an oddball, but she gets pretty lucky in this story where she has to find out what happened to Hank, her summer employer. A fun rea ...more
Rebecca
Jun 01, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
I liked the archaeological details of the plot in this one--always one of Peters' strongest points. I also enjoyed all the colorful characters, and the lovely descriptions. What I didn't buy, unfortunately, was the romance between the main characters. Maybe because arguing is not my favorite form of flirtation--I just don't find it sexy. I also don't think it's EVER right for a man to spank a woman just because he's frustrated with her. Just, ew.
Kristina
This is one of my favorite "cozy" books. Whenever I want to read a book that I found comforting and familiar, I turn to Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels and read one of her books. This book is just about perfect: D.J. and Tom have a funny and sarcastic friendship and the adventure/mystery is great. Even though I have almost every sentence memorized, I still love this book. I have 2 different paperback copies of it and I've read it a million times.
Jean
Feb 06, 2015 Jean rated it it was amazing
Fun is the word to describe this book. From the moment that anthropology student DJ showed up, running late for getting a summer internship, I loved it. DJ enjoys her food, has a sense of humor, and doesn't tolerate pseudo-scientists well.

The love interest was plausible, the mystery was fast-moving, and educational tidbits were dropped in painlessly. In short, it is top-notch Elizabeth Peters.
Chris
Jan 21, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Set in the desert landscape of Arizona on a luxurious ranch of a wealthy "kook"; quite a collection of characters who subscribe to either paranormal, alien origins, or a few "true" scientists to boot gather to either pursue their own projects or "feed" off the generosity of their host, Hank. He has brought our heroine there to help him with a mysterious find. Someone doesn't want that to happen. An enjoyable light read, some interesting southwest history, a mystery and a little romance.
Shane Sawyer
Nov 14, 2016 Shane Sawyer rated it really liked it
Sometimes I'm not in the mood for moral shades of grey or psychological angst. At such times, a book by Elizabeth Peters (a.k.a. Barbara Michaels) often hits the spot. In Summer of the Dragon the writing, plotting, and characterization are all good. There is a lot of humor, a dash of romance, and a satisfying ending. This book is fun and has a lighter feel than the types of crime novel that are generally more popular today but, at the same time, it is not sappy or sentimental.
Jenn
May 31, 2009 Jenn rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
I am a great fan of Elizabeth Peters. Amelia Peabody ranks among my most beloved characters in literature. This Peter's novel is the first I have ventured to read outside of the Peabody series. I liked it. But that is it. There was nothing to set it above the realm of average. The lead character was spunky, but that is it. They story itself was mediocre.

Audio review: Listening to this novel didn't take away or add to my enjoyment. It was read well enough, but nothing astounding.
Margaret Sturgill
Jan 26, 2012 Margaret Sturgill rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
It was enjoyable quick read( actually a listen in this case). Even though written in the 1979, it does not feel particularly dated, except couple of time I did have this voice going in the back of my mind "next time use a GPS instead of a compass....". The book is not as good as the Amelia Peabody series but still humorous and enjoyable.
Maria
Sep 08, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've never been a fan of the Vicky Bliss series, just the Amelia Peabody series, and was happy that this one-off has more overtones of Amelia than Vicky. The archaeology references, especially the references to odd-ball theories, went right over my head, but the characters are priceless. And there's lots of food. And a good mystery.
Julia
This seemed more of a gothic than a mystery. A young woman finds herself in mysterious circumstances where not everyone is who she thinks. Some of the characters are humorous. Unlike some of the Amelia Peabody books, I figured out who the villain was very quickly and then had to wait for the main character to catch up.

A quick and fun read.
Bryn
Jul 03, 2010 Bryn rated it it was ok
Recommended to Bryn by: Mom
Shelves: mystery
One of several books borrowed from and recommended by my mom after I ran out (gasp!) of reading material on my first summer vacation of the year (see my review of Breaking Dawn).

The result? Just okay. Not sure I would read another unless stuck in another similarly unfortunate situation in the future, god forbid.
Christy
Nov 22, 2008 Christy rated it it was ok
I love Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series. I cannot get into her other series books, however. The Vickie Bliss series couldn't keep my attention long enough to even move on to the second book in the series. This book didn't have the same lovely character development as the Peabody series. It wasn't endearing, and the romantic progression was weird, and abrupt.
Lara
Aug 26, 2007 Lara rated it really liked it
This is another one of those silly books that I just read over and over again. D.J. is so dang likable, what with her smart mouth and her love of food (well, you know, I can relate), and I find the history and romance of turquoise fascinating. And there are just so many silly characters and situations, that I just can't help but love it!
Bronwyn
Apr 07, 2011 Bronwyn rated it really liked it
Another good read :)
Stand alone set in the desert outside of Arizona. An anthropologist has a summer intern job with a fabulously wealthy eccentric. Fun characters. Nice mystery and a little romance. The heroine loves to eat and is funny.
Chris
Jun 26, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
Such a fun read! The main character DJ is one of the most likeable ones I've come across. I loved the wonderful narrative. She is delightful The mystery was interesting. There were some great characters.
Joyce Hertzoff
Jul 13, 2014 Joyce Hertzoff rated it it was amazing
I forgot how much fun Elizabeth Peters books could be. The great characters and the tongue in cheek descriptions and dialogue were very entertaining. Knowing the part of the country she described in this story also helped.
  • Into the Darkness
Elizabeth Peters is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also wrote as Barbara Michaels as well as her own name. Born and brought up in Illinois, she earned her Ph.D. in Egyptology from the University of Chicago. Mertz was named Grand Master at the inaugural Anthony Awards in 1986 and Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America at the Edgar Awards in 1998. She lived in a historic farmhouse in Frede ...more
More about Elizabeth Peters...