Start by marking “Summer of the Dragon” as Want to Read:
Summer of the Dragon

Summer of the Dragon

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,807 ratings  ·  79 reviews
A good salary and an all-expenses-paid summer spent a sprawling Arizona ranch is too good a deal for fledgling anthropologist D.J. Abbott to turn down. What does it matter that her rich new employer/benefactor, Hank Hunnicutt, is a certified oddball who is presently funding all manner of off-beat projects, from alien conspiracy studies to a hunt for dragon bones? There's e ...more
Published March 6th 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of the Dragon

Matthew Galloway
I loved the D.J.'s character in this novel. She was just so refreshing and fun. Intelligent, opinionated, happy with herself without having to conform... Sarcastic and realistic enough to not be bothered by all these expectations around her... (even if she was not a great archaeologist) Speaking of the archaeology... I loved the anthropology references in the book. I'm guessing Peters had an American anthropology background, because the information was good (though not deeply explored -- the ant ...more
Jessi
D. J. Abbott left her summer plans until the last minute. So when an all-expenses paid opportunity to stretch her anthropologic wings. It turns out the job is for the fabulously wealthy Hank Hunnicutt. Unfortunately, Hank is also known for his... eccentricities. When D. J. arrives at his southwestern mansion, it's filled to the rafters with hangers-on who are telling him about past lives and Atlantis and every other crackpot theory that's out there. So when Hank tells D. J. she's going to be hel ...more
Basil D
Sometimes Elizabeth Peters reminds me strangely of Diana Wynne Jones ... esp. this book, which has several very Deep Secret moments, such as the eccentric convention of odd characters. It's a good thing! The only part about this book that I really couldn't stand was the fact that she kept mentioning the hero's moustache ... I just couldn't picture him as attractive when the only image coming to my mind was 70s cowboy ... yuck. Apart from this point, which I fully admit is totally shallow and wit ...more
Beth E
I had my to-read books in a jumble, and when I started this I was under the vague impression it was a fantasy book recommended by Robin McKinley. Clearly, I did not look at the author when I grabbed it off the pile of books. In this state, I was very impressed with the realistic description of the world of academia. I wondered how on earth the book was going to transition to fantasy.

Well, of course it never did transition into a fantasy book, but it was a very satisfying read nonetheless. I felt
Tracy
This was just a regular mystery with a regular romance woven in that resolved in the regular way. Hints at the culprit were there all along, and in the end we find one character knew the truth the whole time. It was an easy and quick read. I thought this novel was entertaining without straining any brain cells.

The characters made this book enjoyable for me. Elizabeth Peters gives us whole people to read about, not just personality traits and hodge-podge histories. Her books are about people who
Samantha
D.J. signs up to do an internship for an eccentric millionaire down in Arizona. When she gets to the mansion where she’s to spend her summer working she finds a bunch of weirdo’s whose professions range from alien hunters to past life readers. These nuts are all there for one thing, Hank –the millionaire’s- money. After some strange events happen in the mansion Hank turns up missing and D.J., Tom, and one of the maids are the only people who are worried. So they start looking for him and recruit ...more
Jean
Fun is the word to describe this book. From the moment that anthropology student DJ showed up, running late for getting a summer internship, I loved it. DJ enjoys her food, has a sense of humor, and doesn't tolerate pseudo-scientists well.

The love interest was plausible, the mystery was fast-moving, and educational tidbits were dropped in painlessly. In short, it is top-notch Elizabeth Peters.
Maria
I've never been a fan of the Vicky Bliss series, just the Amelia Peabody series, and was happy that this one-off has more overtones of Amelia than Vicky. The archaeology references, especially the references to odd-ball theories, went right over my head, but the characters are priceless. And there's lots of food. And a good mystery.
Joggingt
The main character is a bit caustic and unlike -able but the humor and sarcasm keeps you riveted. The story line makes the alien theories on those history channel a big joke. There are a few inconsistencies but the storyline makes you overlook them.
Laina
I was hesitant when I first started this book. For some reason it has always annoyed me when the narrator talks directly to the reader about "reading this book." From the first chapter, I prepared myself to think the voice was forced and not enjoy it at all.

However, it grew on me. I started to understand the humor, and soon I found myself laughing out loud. The main character and narrator D.J. was spunky, blunt, and quite frankly hilarious. I loved the story that involved all of the "crazies," a
Summers
Good mystery, not too much violence, a lot of crazy people. I didn't really like the main character -- but I think the author did that on purpose. Learned a little about turquoise...
Joyce Hertzoff
I forgot how much fun Elizabeth Peters books could be. The great characters and the tongue in cheek descriptions and dialogue were very entertaining. Knowing the part of the country she described in this story also helped.
Carolyn F.
I've read a Barbara Michaels book (aka Elizabeth Peters) about a smart aleck woman who eats constantly large amounts of food and talks about food all the time. So guess what this book is about, a smart aleck woman who eats constantly large amounts of food and talks about food all the time. Also in both books the heroes are dark skinned, meanies, that fall in love in the last 10 pages. Can you say formulaic?

From the above, I guess you can tell I didn't care for the book. I rarely give one star b
JC
I really thought this book was going to be a 5 after the first few pages. I love the sarcastic attitude that D.J. takes to everything. It made me laugh. Unfortunately, things slowed down quite a bit during the course of the book and while I still enjoyed it quite a bit, it wasn't as good as my first impressions led me to believe. D.J. is a funny girl who is a bit of an oddball, but she gets pretty lucky in this story where she has to find out what happened to Hank, her summer employer. A fun rea ...more
Jeanne Marchiondo
Thoroughly enjoyed the heroine anthropology student and her exploits. Fun, fast read.
Lyn
Liking this author - want to read more of her books.
Lauren
I don't care how dated it gets, I love this book.
Schmerica
I just really enjoy Elizabeth Peters' writing style.
Chris
Set in the desert landscape of Arizona on a luxurious ranch of a wealthy "kook"; quite a collection of characters who subscribe to either paranormal, alien origins, or a few "true" scientists to boot gather to either pursue their own projects or "feed" off the generosity of their host, Hank. He has brought our heroine there to help him with a mysterious find. Someone doesn't want that to happen. An enjoyable light read, some interesting southwest history, a mystery and a little romance.
Jenn
Jan 27, 2012 Jenn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio
I am a great fan of Elizabeth Peters. Amelia Peabody ranks among my most beloved characters in literature. This Peter's novel is the first I have ventured to read outside of the Peabody series. I liked it. But that is it. There was nothing to set it above the realm of average. The lead character was spunky, but that is it. They story itself was mediocre.

Audio review: Listening to this novel didn't take away or add to my enjoyment. It was read well enough, but nothing astounding.
Rebecca
I liked the archaeological details of the plot in this one--always one of Peters' strongest points. I also enjoyed all the colorful characters, and the lovely descriptions. What I didn't buy, unfortunately, was the romance between the main characters. Maybe because arguing is not my favorite form of flirtation--I just don't find it sexy. I also don't think it's EVER right for a man to spank a woman just because he's frustrated with her. Just, ew.
Kristina
This is one of my favorite "cozy" books. Whenever I want to read a book that I found comforting and familiar, I turn to Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels and read one of her books. This book is just about perfect: D.J. and Tom have a funny and sarcastic friendship and the adventure/mystery is great. Even though I have almost every sentence memorized, I still love this book. I have 2 different paperback copies of it and I've read it a million times.
Christy
I love Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series. I cannot get into her other series books, however. The Vickie Bliss series couldn't keep my attention long enough to even move on to the second book in the series. This book didn't have the same lovely character development as the Peabody series. It wasn't endearing, and the romantic progression was weird, and abrupt.
Margaret Sturgill
It was enjoyable quick read( actually a listen in this case). Even though written in the 1979, it does not feel particularly dated, except couple of time I did have this voice going in the back of my mind "next time use a GPS instead of a compass....". The book is not as good as the Amelia Peabody series but still humorous and enjoyable.
Lara
This is another one of those silly books that I just read over and over again. D.J. is so dang likable, what with her smart mouth and her love of food (well, you know, I can relate), and I find the history and romance of turquoise fascinating. And there are just so many silly characters and situations, that I just can't help but love it!
Bryn
Aug 26, 2010 Bryn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bryn by: Mom
Shelves: mystery
One of several books borrowed from and recommended by my mom after I ran out (gasp!) of reading material on my first summer vacation of the year (see my review of Breaking Dawn).

The result? Just okay. Not sure I would read another unless stuck in another similarly unfortunate situation in the future, god forbid.
SJuhl4
An eccentric AZ rancher gets help from an archeologist. The ranchers discovery ends up deadly and he doesn't even know for sure what he found. I love the way she gives you many suspects, sends you looking in all directions and always wrappes up the mystery and romance beautifully.
Cathie
Very formulaic, I kept waiting for Scubby and Shaggy to chime in. I'm a sucker for strong female characters so it was enjoyable on that front. The plot was weak at best. Nice deversion from the heavy books I have been trying to get through lately. All around a bubble gum read.
Nicole
Delightful! Take a graduate student escaping Classical archeology into anthropology, add Arizona sunsets and glowing turquoise, and you have a fun read. It's a mystery and a light romance, but mostly it's an excuse to remember Arizona and wallow in the richly described experiences.
  • Into the Darkness
Elizabeth Peters is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Barbara Michaels as well as her own name. Born and brought up in Illinois, she earned her Ph.D. in Egyptology from the University of Chicago. Mertz was named Grand Master at the inaugural Anthony Awards in 1986 and Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America at the Edgar Awards in 1998. She lived in a historic farmhouse in Fred ...more
More about Elizabeth Peters...
Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody, #2) The Last Camel Died at Noon (Amelia Peabody, #6) Lion in the Valley  (Amelia Peabody, #4) The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody, #3)