Start by marking “The Lighthouse Cat” as Want to Read:
The Lighthouse Cat

The Lighthouse Cat

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In an old lighthouse, where a twenty-four-candle lantern lights a sparkling blue-green sea, dwell a solitary keeper and his little companion -- a cat called Mackerel. Together the two climb up, up, up to watch over the nighttime sea and down, down, down to eat and play.

On one stormy night, the quick rush of a fierce wind darkens every candle. Soon an errant fishing boat, l
Published July 20th 2004 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Lighthouse Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lighthouse Cat

Ruth
Being a lighthouse keeper is a lonely job that requires much dedication. Each night the lighthouse keeper climbs up, up, up the stairs to light the twenty four candles in the lighthouse beacon. Each morning he climbs the stairs again to extinguish the candles and perform the daily maintenance that keeps the light visible to passing ships.

One afternoon, the supply ship arrives with groceries for the lighthouse keeper. In addition to the usual food and supplies, the supply ship is also carrying a
Rosa Cline
This is an absolutely wonderful book! The storyline and the illustrations! (The illustrations would be beautiful on a wall as paintings!) This book will capture your heart even if you don't like lighthouses or cats but if you enjoy those things you will be hooked! A special book explaining how a lonely lighthouse keeper finds a friend in a cat, and how the candles go out and how important it is to keep the candles lit. The cat meows out to the neighborhood cats and they all end up helping a fish ...more
Alicia
Jul 10, 2009 Alicia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I like that this story is about a cat and a lighthouse. I just don't really like stories like this that have such unrealistic events in them. Well, I guess it is supposed to be good for the imagination.
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library last week, because the cat looks quite a bit like one of our cats, and because of the lighthouse. He loves lighthouses -- not sure why.

Holy Mackerel! This is a long book! This is probably the best story that I didn't read in its entirety. For the most part, I just read the first paragraph on every page. If something crucial happened in the story in other paragraphs, I read them, too. So I probably read about a third of the book. The sto
Sharon Maroldi
Well written and lengthy for a bedtime book, but worth it. The lighthouse keeper suffers a setback and his candles blow out in the storm, luckily the cat he recently discovered, Mackerel, is able to summon every cat in the neighborhood, they all get to the top of the lighthouse and their gleaming, bright eyes, are like a beacon for the boat. Nice - especially, if your child has or loves cats.
Cheryl
I agree with the other reviewers - the pictures are gorgeous, the history is interesting, but the drama is a bit too fantastical.
Bree
Notes:
enjoyable
cats glowing eyes save the day when the candles blow out
Michelle
Beautiful artwork and very realistic cats
Meleofa
Love how the cats helped out.
Nikki
Very charming.
Miri
Miri marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Sabina
Sabina marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Isaac&Veronica
Isaac&Veronica marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Brett
Brett added it
Sep 18, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Brenda
Brenda added it
Jun 27, 2014
Judy Park
Judy Park marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Breanna Swanner
Breanna Swanner marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Rowena
Rowena added it
May 20, 2014
Debra Allenspach
Debra Allenspach marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Santa's Snow Cat I Love Cats The Chocolate Cat Christmas Magic Santa's Snow Kitten