The Power of Resilience

The Power of Resilience

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  13 reviews
FROM THE AUTHORS OF THE LANDMARK "RAISING RESILIENT CHILDREN "COMES A GUIDE TO RESILIENT LIVING FOR ADULTS""Brooks and Goldstein have created a uniquely wise guide summarizing a vast amount of research into a practical set of strategies to overcome adversity and live a stress-hardy life."--Jack Canfield, author of "Chicken Soup for the Soul(R)

""Continuing their pioneering...more
Published January 1st 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published January 1st 1955)

Paula
There is much about this book that is rehashed. If you've read books on Attribution Theory and Reframing, then you've heard it all before. The section in which he defines Attribution Theory was particularly disappointing. There is so much more to the theory than the author credits. The author briefly introduces Learned Helplessness, but then I've always considered that the weakest point of Attribution Theory. The greater part of the theory, such as the effects of Cognitive Dissonance, is not cov...more
Nancy
Sep 12, 2008 Nancy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to make their lives better
Recommended to Nancy by: Robert Brooks
Shelves: psychology
I recently saw Robert Brooks speak at a local school. I enjoyed him there (which is why I bought the book), and I enjoyed what he had to say in this book as well. In his view, resilience pretty much boils down to the ability to be empathic, re-writing negative scripts, and having a positive mindset. Most of what he suggests seems like obvious common sense, but it surprising how often we forget to use it. Nothing earth-shattering here, but a nice simple reminder of how best to treat yourself and...more
Anna Sinova
Interesting review of research on differences between people who are more and less resilient. However he does not provide any practical or achievable way to change other than suggesting to act like the more resilient people. I wish the book instead discussed the research on effective strategies that result in people being more resilient. I suspect, just telling people to be so does not work very well.
Christina
A self-help book that is a cut above the rest. This book divides "resilience" into several different qualities that resilient people have and then offers suggestions on how to cultivate these qualities. I found the chapters on handling stress, avoiding perfectionistic thinking, and maintaining self-control particularly helpful. The many anecdotes from the authors' joint therapy practice make the book an engaging read.
Karlene Olesuk
I'm reading less and less self-help books these days, but I'm about half-way through this book....at least I think it's the title, since there are a few resilience books out there. I like the "resilience score" they make you do for yourself and explaining their method as well as some common sense tips.
Rebekah
I've been working through this one on and off for almost a year, reading when I didn't feel as strong as I wanted to be. The result? I've decided that through all the events and constant changes in my life, I'm actually more resilient than I thought. I just need little reminders once in a while.
Loretta Estrada
I'm anticipating reading this book once I've finished my current reads. It's waiting for me on my nightstand. I heard Robert Brooks speak at a conference spring 2009. He was an accessible, intelligent speaker. His book will hopefully be the same.
Morgan
Apr 06, 2010 Morgan marked it as started-but-not-finished  ·  review of another edition
I went to see Dr. Brooks talk about how to raise resilient children at the Children's Museum (for work). Great speaker! But I've never gotten past the first chapter of a self-help book and this one was no different.
Ashley
Book club pick March 2014
Martin Goldberg
Just OK. Could have been so much better. "Succeeding When Your Supposed To Fail" by Rom Brafman is a similar book and WAY better.
Pennyb4437
Good information about building your own and other's resilience.
Rhenz
This book will help me in improving my personality.
Perrin McCormick
From Chris Brogan's Three Book Diet
Ylva
May 09, 2012 Ylva marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting-etc
recommended by lecturer
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Gigi
Gigi added it
Jul 15, 2014
Marko
Marko marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Jennifer Reid
Jennifer Reid marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Ledimir Nunez
Ledimir Nunez marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Servando Ortega
Servando Ortega marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Yaniv
Yaniv marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Jteare
Jteare marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Honey
Honey marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Ryan Walter
Ryan Walter marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Keshia Davis
Keshia Davis marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author named "Robert Brooks" on goodreads.
More about Robert B. Brooks...
Raising Resilient Children: Fostering Strength, Hope, and Optimism in Your Child Raising a Self-Disciplined Child: Help Your Child Become More Responsible, Confident, and Resilient Nurturing Resilience in Our Children: Answers to the Most Important Parenting Questions So That's How I Was Born! The Self-Esteem Teacher