Start by marking “Rules of Engagement (The Duquesnes, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Rules of Engagement (The Duquesnes, #1.5)

Rules of Engagement (The Duquesnes #1.5)

The Duquesnes, Book 1.5

WARNING
: Contains graphic language and explicit sex scenes (M/F, anal sex, mild bondage).

LENGTH: Novella (20,400 words)

After being shot three times in the chest and left for dead by his last lover, Jake Duquesne decides the middle of nowhere is a good place to recuperate. And it's perfect, until someone tries to sneak up on him, gun drawn and cocked.
Published November 12th 2011 (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Rules of Engagement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rules of Engagement

Fighting Destiny by Amelia HutchinsTaunting Destiny by Amelia HutchinsOnce Bitten by Trina M. LeeThe Kiss of a Vampire, the Heart of a Wolf by Samantha BatesSilvers Alpha by Samantha Bates
My book list no.2
44th out of 105 books — 8 voters
The Law of Attraction by N.M. SilberMini Skirts and Laughter Lines by Carol E. WyerThe Meaning of Purple Tulips by Bláithín O' Reilly MurphyOne Pink Line by Dina SilverFourteen Days Later by Sibel Hodge
Best Debut Chick Lit
237th out of 248 books — 890 voters

More lists with this book...

Holly
Another free nook download.

Whoa...this book was a train wreck from beginning to end. It starts with the 28yo virgin cop heroine getting clipped by the hero and knocked out, then handcuffed to the bed. When she comes to she decides he's the man to give her virginity to. and it just goes downhill from there.
Sol Belenda
Oct 30, 2015 Sol Belenda rated it liked it
Otra mini-historia pero con una trama algo más elaborada.

Por un lado tenemos a Jake, quién no sabemos exactamente a qué se dedica, pero sí que es algo relacionado con las fuerzas de seguridad. Al parecer decide tomarse unas vacaciones para dejar de lado su peligrosa vida.

Y por el otro lado está Katarzyna -uff pero que nombre más complejo e impronunciable jajaj-, ella es policía y debido a una mala experiencia amorosa -el novio la abandonó en el altar porque salió del closet, oh sí, lo mejor que
Katherine O'Grady
May 14, 2012 Katherine O'Grady rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
This was a kindle freebie that I picked up.
My quick notes: good, hot, good action.
My only complaint: the heroine is a virgin at the age of 28 and has been engaged three times. Unlikely, but okay, I'll suspend my disbelief. Of course the hero has a magic wang that makes her first time incredible and she immediately becomes an insatiable sex fiend for his wang.
Christina
Jun 06, 2012 Christina rated it it was ok
I didn't get it. Everything moved too fast, and I couldn't figure out why. It was basically a wham, bam, thank you m'aam type of story but then he comes to her at the end...and we're supposed to believe they have an HEA? I don't know, it'd probably be better if the characters and their relationship was more developed.

The sex is hot, though.
Lenore
This novella was too ambitious. Lots of sex packed with lots of action. Sex, cops, sex, clandestine agents, sex, East-European mobsters, sex, near-death experiences, sex; all haphazardly thrown together.
And did I mention all the romance tropes floating around?
Meeeeeh!!!
Tami
Feb 10, 2012 Tami rated it really liked it
Shelves: freebies
I thought this was a realy great story with some realy hot sex! It pushed a few boundries I've never crossed so I'm glad I have an open mind. Great short read for free! Perfect for a Friday afternoon (while I should be working).
SheLove2Read
Feb 13, 2012 SheLove2Read rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, 2012
Read the tweets by Book Binge and laughed/cringed. Like a train wreck, I read a few pages because I just HAD to. Wow. This was bad on a whole new level.
Jacquie Talento
Feb 09, 2012 Jacquie Talento rated it it was amazing
Very well written story. To the point on everything and intense. It held all things I look for in a book.
Tori
Apr 11, 2012 Tori rated it liked it
It was what it was.
Julie Read Our Lips! Book Review Blog
After being jilted at the altar, Kat looks for a place to crash and collect herself. A friend offers her log cabin in the middle of nowhere and Kat readily accepts. Too bad her friend’s bother, Jake, is also using the cabin for some away time as well.

Jake, a mercenary-type, is hiding from some bad guys and mistakes Kat for an intruder. They both exchange names and sort out the confusion in bed with handcuffs. Kat, who’s a cop, can’t believe Jake subdued her so easily, but being interrogated in h
MsRomanticReads

After being shot and nearly dying during his last mission, Jake Duquesne is done with women and his job. Hiding out in his cousin's cabin up in the mountains seems like a good idea, until someone tries to sneak up on him, gun drawn. Jake tackles the intruder and is surprised to find a woman beneath him.

Katarzyna Delaney is 28, a cop, has been jilted three times and she's still a virgin. She regains consciousness handcuffed to a bed with a gorgeous male standing over her. A phone call clears up
Niina
This short erotic romance is for all the romantic suspense lovers! You got yourself a black ops operative with great bedroom skills, a town cop with chips on her shoulder about men and intact virginity, well at least for the first 20 pages. And of course handcuffs and cast iron headboard. Can it get any better than that? Yeah though so - pretty damn hot!

This is almost bordering on erotica except the story is good and the characters are lovable and totally three dimensional. I loved the little pl
Ronna
Mindless short story seemingly more the work of the author's fulfilling a fantasy than creating a real story. A meddling cousin pairs up her gun for hire cousin with her husband's subordinate on the police force at a remote mountain cabin. She thinks that they both could use the solitude of the cabin as well as a brief sexual encounter during their "vacations". After the initial misunderstanding, determining the cousin set them up and realizing they are in fact attracted to each other, things ra ...more
Josetta
May 11, 2015 Josetta rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Wanted something quick to read...chose this. Okay, if you need a sex book, this might do it for you. Didn't do it for me at all. First off, the author kept using the phrase "her sex", meaning her vagina; so much that it was distracting and annoying. Who uses that anymore?? I found it hard to believe that she was a 28 year old virgin, too, especially as a cop, and her three ex-fiances were cliched. The plot, such that it was, was contrived and predictable. Even the sex was pretty "normal" and I f ...more
Emily
Katarzyna Delaney decided to take her friends advice and hang out at her cabin for the two weeks she was supposed to be on her honeymoon. Having her third fiancee run out on her was a huge blow and she needed time to figure out if she was ever going to be willing to go down that road again.

Jake Duquesne is taking the time he needs to recover from three gun shot wounds at his sisters cabin, when he hears someone breaking in he quickly moves to detain them. What he finds is a vulptuous women who i
Tracy Zullo
May 25, 2016 Tracy Zullo rated it it was ok
Freebie / erotica : why does it always have to have the woman a virgin? At 28? And a cop? The writing is good but the story lurches from cliche to cliche. You need to suspend disbelief to enjoy this one.
Christin
Feb 08, 2016 Christin rated it it was ok
Eh... romance "novellas" don't really work. Not long enough to build the story and leaves you feeling like you just read the script to a really bad adult film.
Sharon
Feb 21, 2012 Sharon rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Not a book I would have picked up if it hadn't been for the fact that I'm reading on a kindle, so no one can judge my books by their covers. This short story honestly just wasn't that great. The characters themselves were interesting, but the story line barely existed. So many characters were introduced merely to play a part in the action, but were never explained, and so many completely inexplicable things happened, then were entirely brushed off. Just not a very satisfying read.
Nicola
Feb 24, 2012 Nicola rated it it was ok
After reading the interesting synopsis I downloaded this free book on Kindle. After finishing the book I was left wondering why I needed to know that Jake had been shot 3 times by a former lover. I am not sure what this had to do with two people spending their entire acquaintance in bed. It is hard to learn about backgrounds and characters when there is little interaction between the characters that is not sexual.''
Not a book I will recommend.
Rhonda
Aug 08, 2012 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
A short read packed with hot sex and intense action. This book kept me on the edge of my seat throughout. I loved it. I hope Ann continues bringing it just like this.

Jake has commitment issues, and Katarzyna has big brother issues, virginity issues and failing engagment issues. Together they overcome all their problems, even manage to detain a huge criminal. Both of the main characters are fully developed.
Coco at *My Reading Nook Blog*
I liked this novella, but didnt love it mainly bc it was waaaayyy too short! The story had so much potential for more, IMO. Just when the story got going, there's a fast forward 6 mos and it's over. It left me with too many questions. For that reason, I was happy I got it for free. I do like the author's writing style and will read other full-length novels by Ann Bruce.
Heather Thibdeaux
Warning, this book isn't for someone who can't take blunt language and/or sex.

Okay. It wasn't a work of art. But it definitely kept me "occupied." The beginning was very rushed. "Hello. My name is . . ., let's get naked." Very Fifty Shades of Grey-ish. If there is another book in the series, I may read if it's free or reduced priced.
Candace
Feb 26, 2012 Candace rated it liked it
This book was OK, but not great. I'm just not a fan of a book where two strangers meet and within 30 minutes are in bed. I need more of a story line and plot. This book did have a little plot (after) so it wasn't as frustrating for me as others, but still not my favorite.
Jill
Mar 18, 2012 Jill rated it it was ok
Felt rushed and I guess the characters just didn't gel for me. I still finished it, but it wasn't my favourite. I read a lot of these sorts of books and I guess now a days it has to be stand out great to impress me. This one just wasn't quite there for me.
Evie
Oct 02, 2015 Evie rated it really liked it
This was a quick and steamy read... It'd been nicer if it'd been longer. Definitely, I'd like to read more of Anne Bruce's work.
Tasha
Feb 14, 2013 Tasha rated it it was amazing
she can have her long awaited honeymoon without a battery operated device hmmm sounds like she will be having fun but for the ones who havent read this book im not telling but i will say this is a book to read Most Definitely!!
Vibeke
Feb 13, 2012 Vibeke rated it liked it
Shelves: hot
Okay so who wouldn't want to be stuck in a cabin with a hot guy. An okay read with passionate sex but not All of the storyline was entirely credible but I liked the action story entwined with the romance story.
Cathy
Feb 26, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it
I thought this was a realy great story with some realy hot sex! It pushed a few boundries I've never crossed so I'm glad I have an open mind. Great short read for free! Perfect for a Friday afternoon.
Anna
Feb 21, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
Recommended to Anna by: Amazon/Kindle
Novella about 2 law enforcement officers (male and female) who hook up when a mutual acquaintance allows both of them the use of an out of the way cabin in the woods at the same time.

Missy Jane
Feb 24, 2012 Missy Jane rated it really liked it
This was a really good quick, hot read. I liked the characters and just wished for more development. However, being a short story it was well done.
  • The Horse Master of Shanhasson (Blood and Shadows, #0.5)
  • Some Like it Rough
  • Wild Passion (Wild, #3)
  • Playing Doctor (Bandit Creek, #26)
  • Sweet Revenge (New Orleans Trilogy, #2)
  • Pleasure's Foehn (WindVerse, #1)
  • Loving Control (Club Rio Brava, #1)
  • Identity Crisis
  • A Bolt From The Blue
  • Taken by the Cops (erotic menage)
  • Zane's Way (O'Malley Wild, #1)
  • All In (Be-Wished, #1)
  • A Bit Of Sass
  • Private Property (Hauberk Protection, #1)
  • Pleasure with Purpose (Cinderella Chronicles, #3)
  • Needing Nita (Serve and Protect, #3.5)
  • French Quarter (Hot in the City, #1)
  • Zakia and the Cowboy (Thunder Creek Ranch #1)
Ann Bruce is the pseudonym for a self-professed computer geek who, in between snowboarding, reading comic books, and wearing out the buttons of her PS3 controller, writes because it's an acceptable means of explaining all the voices in her head.
More about Ann Bruce...

“Are you setting me up?"

"Dear God in heaven, no! She's sworn off relationships with men, so you're safe. Besides, I don't think anything permanent would work with you." She paused. "I was thinking more along the lines of a fling."

"Jesus Christ," Jake muttered, running a hand down his face. "You're pimping me out.”
1 likes