Start by marking “Breakout” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Breakout

Paul Fleischman

Breakout

Del has spent 17 years bouncing among foster homes. Smart, sharp-tongued, a master mimic, she’s fed up with her world and with being Del. Faking her own death, she leaves both herself and L.A. behind — until her escape lands her in an all-day traffic jam. Fast-forward eight years. It’s opening night for the one-woman play she’s written and is starring in — a show called Br
Audio, 0 pages
Published December 1st 2003 by Recorded Books (first published July 15th 2003)

Meaghan
Considering that nothing actually happened in this slim novel, I found it extremely interesting and funny. It's essentially a 140-page description of a traffic jam. It alternates chapters: one thread of the narrative is the 17-year-old protagonist who gets stuck in a massive Los Angeles traffic jam while running away from her umpteenth foster home, and the other thread is the same young woman, now a successful adult performance artist, who just did a play about a traffic jam.

As the people in the
Tranna Foley
Very interesting concept. Told in alternating chapters by same author. One voice is when she was young and running away from L.A. after living in several foster homes. The other is through her one-woman show loosely based on her experience in a traffic jam trying to escape L.A. I liked the book, but kinda wish I knew more about what happened to her.

Review from Publisher's Weekly:
Fleischman (Whirligig; Seek) explores the way art allows people to re-examine their lives, in this chronicle of a you
Jason Kurtz
A strange book where there are two perspectives. One, Del, a runaway who is starting her new life, and two, Del eight years later, relaying her experiences as a live stage performer. Her experience/performance takes place during a several hour long traffic jam, and consists of a "slice-of-life" type narrative about "otherness" and how it needs to be accepted throughout one's life.

Fleischman is poetic, and understands people. Is this enough for a novel? This same scenario could have taken place a
Kay Carman
The book club of which I'm a member just finished reading Seedfolks by Flesichman, and in the afterward by the author he alluded to another of his books: "In an earlier book of mine, a character who's lost her mother vows to keep her alive by becoming her." I was intrigued by that comment and searched Fleischman's titles trying to decide what book that might me. I chose Breakout, but find that wasn't it.

It was a good story though. A 17-year-old foster child sets out to run away from the latest i
Diane
Mar 03, 2015 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 13-25
A young teenager desperately tries to escape her life cycle of never being accepted by blazing her own trail. She is held up however on the interstate by a massive traffic jam in Los Angeles. Running on adrenaline and hope after faking her own death and running from foster care she makes a new life for herself as an actress. She has already cultivated the necessary skills throughout her life as she has tried to be accepted by one foster family after another.

This novel has detailed inner dialogu
Cheri
This book is very awesome to me because it goes through Dels life the day of the traffic jam that she was in. This book shows me how she changed and got to know the people around her and saw their lives and became friends. Del was ready to leave her family, change her name and move on with her life and that's sad. She was nice to other people and when she left she didnt go back. She wrote a play about it 8 years later, she had had a daughter by that time. when it flashed back and forth I got to ...more
Kaley Jones
In the beginning of this book, I was really confused by how the author kept switching from future to present, but then as I kept reading, it started to make since. I have never read a book like this before, and I would recommend it, because it makes you think about the simplest of things. It starts out with a girl whose running away from a life full of foster homes, and she's stuck in a L.A. traffic jam. Then, the text turns into italics and its an interview with a girl named Elena, and she's an ...more
Salsabrarian
This novel alternates between Del's teenage self and her adult self. Both are stuck in traffic jams, one as a foster child bent on running away and the other a performance artist of some kind (I think). The hours spent stuck on the freeway serve as teenage Del's revelatory moment, the beginning of her journey to becoming an artist. I just couldn't get into this, but the horror of being caught for hours behind an accident was rendered well enough to make me feel as uncomfortable as if I were ther ...more
Linden
Jan 03, 2015 Linden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle School readers
Recommended to Linden by: A display at my local library

A very fresh work, in the form of an interview with Elena Franco, a twenty-five-year-old woman on the opening of a one-woman show, 'Breakout' interleaved with the narrative of seventeen-year-old Del, the person Elena used to be during her own break out from foster homes and other people's expectations.

Fleischman's clean, wise and observant prose will remind readers of his ability to create memorable auditory works such as his books of poetry for two voices, Joyful Noiseand I Am Phoenix and Seed
Bobby
Oct 01, 2007 Bobby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Fleischman's book is creative and tells an interesting story well, but the story at times is rather drawn out and void of progression. The voice of Del is well developed and provides a strong female character finding herself after years of doubt.
Tim DeFrange
I admit that there were moments in this book when I felt amazed at Del's ingenuity and talent. But the novel on the whole didn't seem to go anywhere as a story. I just didn't feel captivated as I waded through this story.
Jessie
Jul 09, 2010 Jessie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa
I don't even know what made me decide to read this. There is nothing about the concept that is interesting. In fact, the whole story is rather dull. Very boring.
Jo
Sep 23, 2007 Jo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: fiction, youth
I was not going to give this one star but then it would look like I just did not do the star rating.
Melissa
I think a coworker recommended this one to me, but I don't remember. Nor do I really remember what this book was about.
Laurel Kathleen
Mar 13, 2014 Laurel Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Utterly fascinating and leaves you wanting more. One star off for not making this fabulous book longer. Has this author written anything bad? Because everything I've read by him is fantastic.
Fran
Nov 29, 2009 Fran rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I don't know why I even considered finishing this book except, that due to a bad head cold, my eyes hurt too bad to read, and I didn't want to get out of bed to get another audio cassette. . .

Tiffiny
Feb 01, 2010 Tiffiny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didnt-finish
I've read other books by this author and loved them but this one I just didn't get and couldn't get through it.
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2016
Krissy
Krissy rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2009
Sarah rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2010
Beckett
Beckett rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2009
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2009
Clara
Jan 31, 2009 Clara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It doesn't stick out in my memory as particularly interesting.
Amy
Amy rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2009
Erica
Erica rated it did not like it
Sep 17, 2009
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2008
Matt Ross Schaaf
Matt Ross Schaaf rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2017
Betsy
Betsy rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2010
Kara
Kara rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2008
Spectra
Mar 21, 2010 Spectra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was written with a good layout, but very boring. no offense to Mr. Fleischman, but true.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Paul Fleischman grew up in Santa Monica, California. The son of well-known children's novelist Sid Fleischman, Paul was in the unique position of having his famous father's books read out loud to him by the author as they were being written. This experience continued throughout his childhood.
Paul followed in his father's footsteps as an author of books for young readers, and in 1982 he released
More about Paul Fleischman...