Start by marking “The Penguin Book of First World War Stories” as Want to Read:
The Penguin Book of First World War Stories

The Penguin Book of First World War Stories

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  6 reviews
An illuminating anthology of World War I fiction by some of England's best- known writers

This new collection of short stories about World War I features works by such famous British authors as Joseph Conrad, W. Somerset Maugham, Arthur Conan Doyle, John Buchan, Rudyard Kipling, D. H. Lawrence, John Galsworthy, Radclyffe Hall, Katherine Mansfield, Robert Graves, Muriel Spa
Published December 18th 2007 by Penguin Classics (first published October 25th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Penguin Book of First World War Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Penguin Book of First World War Stories

Manish
This anthology is strictly a British one. Only the British experience of the war is captured here. Divided into four sections namely – Front, Spies & Intelligence, At Home and In Retrospect, the collection provided some interesting perspectives on the Great War that were new to me.

Julian Barnes for instance writes: “She hated Hitler’s war for diminishing the memory of the Great War, for allotting it a number, the mere first among two. And she hated the way in which the Great War was held res
Marjanne
Apr 26, 2008 Marjanne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes history and/or war stories
This was a collection of short stories written about WWI, and I wish I could give it a 3.5 stars. I liked that the stories were divided up into four sections: Front, Spies and Intelligence, At Home, and In Retrospect. Primarily I picked up this book because I like history and it is too easy to forget WWI, it always seems to get over shadowed by more recent conflicts. My favorite story was "Blind" by Mary Borden, however there were several that I liked and almost all of them were interesting. Mos ...more
Tomgirl deni
A fascinating anthology, just read the authors I was most familiar with as very heavily requested. So will be ordering it again. Some of my favourites were as I say by authors I was familiar with, and I liked the way the book was split into sections.
Robert White
May 11, 2014 Robert White rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Short stories; -- some excellent, some good, some OK
Becky
Aug 18, 2012 Becky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: drama, war
as with any collection of short stories the quality of these varies. Some are brilliant, beautiful and moving, some are less wonderful. Worth reading the collection, if only to contrast those written by combatants and those written by later authors.
Aravind P
A good collection of First world war stories, gives a good glimpse of the war that was believed to be the end of all wars. The study and cultural representation of Great war could be considered as the beginning of anti-war movements.
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Avril
Avril marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Thomas O'neil
Thomas O'neil marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Robert Huddleston
Robert Huddleston marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Alessia
Alessia marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
umberto
umberto marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Evgeny
Evgeny marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Inna Shpitzberg
Inna Shpitzberg marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Madhurika
Madhurika marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Laura Sulston
Laura Sulston marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
English Travel Writing From Pilgrimages To Postcolonial Explorations Body Language in Literature Britain Rewritten: Stories Of A Multi Ethnic Nation Represented Reporters: Images of War Correspondents in Memoirs and Fiction Facing the East in the West: Images of Eastern Europe in British Literature, Film and Culture.