Start by marking “Twice Loved” as Want to Read:
Twice Loved

Twice Loved

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,587 ratings  ·  66 reviews
A Heart Divided…

LAURA. Five long years ago, lovely Laura Dalton waited on the bleak Nantucket shore for the day her beloved husband Rye would return ... and then she learned his ship was lost at sea.

DAN. Rye's closest friend. And for Laura, Dan was a shining beacon to light the dark hours ... a father to her baby... a husband to a grateful widow.

It was a second chance for
Mass Market Paperback
Published 1984 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Twice Loved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twice Loved

KatLynne
Wow – what an emotional read! I needed my tissues for sure with this wonderful, bittersweet love story!

Lavyrle Spenser is a master of human emotions. And boy were my emotions used in this book:-) There is desire, guilt, love, recriminations, fear, impatience, jealousy, despair and hope! All wrapped up in the lives of three friends who had grown up together in Colonial Nantucket and now find themselves facing one of the greatest challenges of their lives…

Rye Dalton, Laura Traherne, and Daniel Mo
Jennifer AlLee
Another first book for me. I was on a trip with friends (and bored out of my mind) when I went down to the hotel gift shop looking for something to read. I picked up Twice Loved and spent the rest of the weekend buried in it. I was 18 at the time and this was the first real romance novel I'd ever read. Ms. Spencer drew me into her story from the first page. My heart broke for the three main characters who are caught in a terrible triangle not of their own making. (Warning for those of more delic ...more
Hilcia
I've loved every single book I've read by Lavyrle Spencer so far. I still love her gorgeous writing style and how she develops characters and a story -- all are evident in Twice Loved. On the positive side, I absolutely love the setting and atmosphere in this novel. It is set in a small fishing village, and the place and people who inhabit it come alive in this novel.

Unfortunately for me, this romance is a triangle, and I mean one of those triangles where the woman who finds herself in the midd
Fiary
Kisah cinta segitiga antara Rye – Laura – Dan

Mereka bertiga telah berteman dan bersahabat sejak kanak-kanak hingga usia dewasa. Rye , putra pembuat tong & pemburu ikan paus di pulau Nantucket dan Laura saling jatuh cinta, kemudian menikah. Dalam petualangannya memburu ikan paus untuk meraih kekayaan demi menghidupi keluarganya, Rye ikut berlayar dengan kapal Massachusetts .

Laura mendapat kabar kapal yang ditumpangi Rye tenggelam dan jasad Rye tidak ditemukan. Dalam kedukaan Laura yang tera
Jaime Atkins
I love Lavyrle Spencer's writing. She is so detailed and thorough that you can't help but be swept up in each of the character's thoughts and emotions. This book, however, just didn't grab me the way many of hers have. I didn't like that it began with Rye coming home. I think it would have been much better if it had started with a prologue detailing the love affair between Rye and Laura. We get to see glimpses of the past throughout the book, but I never totally felt it.

Before ever reading th
Debra
This was my first LyVryle Spencer, and still my favorite.

Laura and Rye are childhood sweethearts, patiently putting up with their friend Dan, who follows them constantly.

They all grow up. Rye goes off to sea to make some money so they can have a better life. Little does he know that Laura is pregnant.

Rye is lost at sea. When he returns, some years later, he discovers that Laura has married Dan and they have a child who looks just like him.

This is where the story really begins and what a great s
Lisa
I was tempted to give this book three stars, but decided on two to be tough. I enjoy reading LaVyrle Spencer's books and Twice Loved, like her others, is well written. However, in this case, I got the feeling that Spencer had gone to Nantucket for a summer holiday and decided that she must write a book using the island as a back drop to a love story. As a result, this tale of triangle love is a bit thin in terms of plot and character development. Many of her other books have a lot of meat on the ...more
E. Jamie
Lavyrle Spencer is one of my favorite authors and I adore all her books but this one holds a special place in my heart. The Fulfillment is a close second! An auto buy author. Her books are bursting with heartwrenching emotion and passion.
Rizky
3.5 stars for this novel

Wow, I really love this novel. So emotional and romantic to read, and I think I've to read the other novel of hers ^^. Of course she will become one of my favourite author =)
Lisa Gatlin
Heartwrenching heartwarming lovely

Rye makes a brilliant, sexy and romantic hero....come home from the sea. It is harder to emphasize with Laura and definitely hard to feel too sorry for Dan. I don't get Spencer's total disregard for grandparents. Rye dies...laura loves him so much that she keeps his son from his parents. The child is their only grandchild. Why not the truth. Papa died at sea. These are your grandparents. I have now married our best friend and he is your new papa. It seems so sel
Manuela
Uno dei primi romance che ho letto. Allora mi piacque molto, oggi forse lo valuterei con meno entusiasmo.

Uthie
Biasanya saya menyukai cerita-cerita dari LaVyrle Spencer. Tetapi tidak untuk yang ini.

Memang secara garis besar ceritanya khas dengan gaya LaVyrle Spencer. Tokoh-tokohnya down to earth, kisah cintanya bikin nyesek. Namun kali ini...

Saya keberatan dengan pertemuan sembunyi-sembunyi (baca : perselingkuhan) Laura dan Rye yang ujung-ujungnya mereka sempat berhubungan intim :| Yah.. kangen sih kangen. Cinta sih cinta. Tapi ya harus ingat status juga dong. Harus ingat moral juga. Masa mau main sero
Anastasia Cynthia
Laura Dalton tak pernah mengira ia akan menemukan Rye menyembul di kerai rumahnya. Setelah lima tahun berlayar, Laura telah merelakan kepergian suaminya, yang tak ayal divonis mati empat tahun lalu, namun hari itu kapal penangkap ikan paus Omega merapat di Teluk Nantucket. Dan sosok Rye yang tegap tak ayal melandaskan solnya. Dengan wajah yang dipenuhi cambang, Laura masih merindukan saat-saat mereka yang lalu. Namun, kini Laura Dalton terlanjur belajar untuk mencintai sekali lagi, mencintai Dan ...more
Gita Ganesha
Hey boys..
Bagaimana jika kau adalah seorang suami yang harus pergi selama bertahun-tahun untuk bekerja demi memberikan keluargamu kehidupan yang layak. Tapi ketika kau kembali, kau menemukan istrimu telah memiliki suami lain. Suaminya yang dulu adalah sahabatmu dan sekarang bahkan mengakui anakmu sebagai anaknya?

Well, begitulah inti cerita novel ini. Berat kan? Cukup menguras perasaan.

Rye Dalton adalah seorang pelaut yang harus berlayar selama berbulan-bulan untuk menangkap ikan paus. Ketika Rye
Gwen
Je déteste la couverture !

Il est rare que je commence un livre et que celui-ci me donne des envies rejets, où je trouve le début détestable, tout en ayant l’impression d’avoir déjà lu un livre dans le même genre. Bon an mal an, j’ai continué. L’histoire est bien écrite, agréable à lire.
J’ai trouvé original le fait qu’un marin – soit disant décédé – revienne en vie chez lui, la plus part du temps lorsqu’ils sont disparus en mer, c’est pour de bon.
Après lecture, je me suis demandée est-ce possib
Caca Venthine
Ada yang gak gitu suka sama novel romance fiksi terjemahan gitu? Yap gue orangnya ._. Makanya jarang beli novel macem gini. Beli ini novel sebenernya udah dari 3 bulan yang lalu,tapi baru aja ada keinginan baca 3 hari kemarin ._.

Dan setelah baca novel Twice Loved ini....... Kyaaaa gueee nyeseelllll.. Nyesel kenapa gk baca dari awal gue beli waktu itu?????? :'( Sumpah ceritanya keren banget.. Terharu dan bikin nangis juga di beberapa bagian. Begitu banyak konflik namun dikemas dengan kata2 yang m
Miidi
This is the 1st LaVyrle Spencer book I haven't completely enjoyed. A particularly gaping plot hole is the little boy having no contact with his paternal grandparents. I mean if my son died at sea, I'd do everything to be a part of my grandson's life.
And Rye had grown up in the town, wouldn't anyone in the village have said something to the child about his father in all those years? That aspect simply did not ring true to me.
Iolanda
One of Spencer's best! This was the second book I read from this author and it was just -- WOW. I fell in love with these characters and grew to care about them and I couldn't put the book down.

Laura loses her husband, Rye, believed to be lost at sea long gone. So she turns to her and Rye's best friend, Dan for comfort who steps into the role immediately because of his loyalty to his best friend and unrequited love for Laura. Only thing is, five years later, Rye returns home! Alive! And in one
Bridgette
In Twice Loved, LaVyrle Spencer takes three ordinary characters and places them in an unusual and complicated life situation where they seem to have no logical means of escape. Three friends find themselves forced to make decisions that test moral and ethical boundaries in the pursuit of personal happiness. Twice Loved is a hard book for me to review as I loved the storyline, I was transfixed throughout the reading, I came to care deeply for the characters. However, I felt tied up in knots throu ...more
Marianne
Nobody does frustrated love like Spencer. The pain oozes off the pages. Spencer invents more ways to keep lovers apart than any other author I have read.
But she works everything out in the end......unlike real life, which makes her books fun to read.
Dina Oktariani
Ini buku kedua LaVyrle Spencer yang aku baca... Dan Twice Loved ini ceritanya bagusss!!! Jadi setelah menghilang lima tahun, Rye kembali. Tapi waktu Rye pulang ternyata Laura, istrinya, udah menikah dengan Dan, sahabatnya Rye. Karena lima tahun yang lalu, Laura mendapat kabar kalau kapal yang membawa Rye tenggelam dan semuanya dinyatakan tewas. Laura ini lagi mengandung, jadi Dan ini yang nemenin Laura terus karena ternyata Dan juga udah suka sama Laura tapi Laura-nya suka sama Rye.

Laura galau,
Roub
i did not like it. i thought laura was an ungrateful little bitch! poor dan! he's being no better than a lovesick puppy. it's not all her fault. gratitude is not love and she loved rye, always had!
Cathleen
Love this book every time I read it. Today I wanted to end the year on a beautiful romantic note. So reading LaVyrle spencer is the best way I know!!!
Megan Warma
This was the last of LaVyrle Spencer's book I had to read and it did not disappoint!! The story is so sweet, tragic, emotional. I wish she was still writing
yani
buku ke 2 dr LaVyrle Spencer yg ku baca..ehmm...lebih suka dgn yg separated bed sih...tp cerita ini juga bagus kok..persahabatan yg kuat terjalin antara laura,rye, juga dan..cinta segitiga,yg sempat 'menggoyahkan' persahabatan, tp teteo berakhir dgn kebahagiaan..
sosok jane yg slalu menjadi ibu peri bagi laura..
1 yg ku catat dr buku ini adalah:
"Kita di takdirkan bersama. Aku tidak peduli apakah kita akan bersama di rumah ini atau di tempat yang belum pernah kita lihat sebelumnya. Yang aku tahu ha
Rebecca Dean
Read this book first time in 1984. Read again in 2013, but didn't like it as much as I remembered. The intimate scenes were WAY TOO EXPLICIT. I like so much more left to the imagination. Also, I think that LaVyrle wrote like this in her first few books and then started backing away to better writing and less details. The shock factor and explicitness wasn't needed after she became a best seller (but who am I to know how those things work).

I probably won't be keeping this book and that is sad, be
Ervina Dayanthi
Remind me of Pearl Harbor movie
Pam
I usually love Spencer's books, but this one felt a little flat to me. The setting, colonial Nantucket, was interesting and there was a lot of authentic historical detail, but I didn't feel the characters were fleshed out well at all. I didn't connect with any of them, and once the love triangle had been resolved, I found myself really anxious for the story to end.
Beleth
Como siempre, una narración sublime, muy bien ambientada en la época y llena de detalles que no se pueden dejar pasar. El trio amoroso está muy bien llevado y los giros inesperados hacen que el lector se quede siempre con el corazón en un puño.

Reseña completa en http://beldevoradoradelibros.blogspot...
Tammy
I read this a l-o-n-g time ago but I re-read it this past week when I found it on my library's 3M Library ebooks list. I read every book LaVyrle Spencer wrote back in the day -- this is not my favorite of hers, but enjoyable and heartbreaking by turns. It is a sweet, and bittersweet love story. I have it in my personal library and it will stay there.
  • Bitterleaf
  • Loving Julia
  • Heart of the West
  • Foxfire Bride
  • Uncommon Vows
  • Never Marry a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #3)
  • Comanche Magic (Comanche, #4)
  • Come Spring (Storm Family, #3)
  • The Price Of Desire
  • That Scandalous Evening (Governess Brides, #.5)
LaVyrle Spencer is an American best-selling author of contemporary and historical romance novels. She has successfully published a number of books, with several of them made into movies. Twelve of her books have been New York Times bestsellers, and Spencer was inducted into the Romance Writers of America Hall of Fame in 1988.

Spencer is known for creating realistic characters and stories that focu
More about LaVyrle Spencer...
Morning Glory Separate Beds Small Town Girl Family Blessings That Camden Summer