Start by marking “Kid Beowulf and the Blood-Bound Oath” as Want to Read:
Kid Beowulf and the Blood-Bound Oath

Kid Beowulf and the Blood-Bound Oath

Kid Beowulf is an action/adventure/humor graphic novel series inspired by the epics of old. Currently slated as a 12-book story arc, it follows the journey of twin brothers Beowulf and Grendel as they encounter other epic heroes from Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Each book functions as a separate adventure and is inspired by a countrys specific epic poem. The books can ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Bowler Hat Comics

To ask other readers questions about Kid Beowulf and the Blood-Bound Oath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kid Beowulf and the Blood-Bound Oath

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 09, 2016 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
What do kids look for in a graphic novel? Action. Adventure. Courageous heroes. Scary bad guys.

Where better to look for a plot for a graphic novel than in the epic poem, Beowulf? That's what Alexis E. Fajardo has done with this ok. It's all here, along with monsters and weapons and super powers and a bit of magic.
Betsy
This is a true story. I started college in 1996. Earlham College. Richmond, Indiana. Nice place. Little Quaker school (“Fight! Fight! Inner light! Kill, Quakers, Kill,” ← our sports chant). Little colleges have little cute traditions. Mine was keen on complicated pranks. One day I go down to the cafeteria for a bowl of Cheerios and lo and behold there, on the ceiling, is this epic mural of two cartoon characters touching fingers ala Michelangelo's Adam and God in The Sistine Chapel. The ...more
Alan
May 24, 2008 Alan rated it it was amazing
Interesting take on classic Norse lit for kids of all ages. Or kids 9+...
Kathy
Oct 17, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it
A valiant effort at a kid-centered reimagining of the complex tale of Beowulf in graphic novel format. Complicated family lines, weird names, and lots of violent politics will make this a challenge, but the dragon and the monstrous-looking mother of twins Beowulf and Grendel are great. The talking sword adds even more humor.
Erin
Jul 01, 2008 Erin added it
Having never read Beowulf (or even seen the movie, for that matter) I read Kid Beowulf and the Blood-Bound Oath entirely free of any expectations of the book living up to its anonymously-authored predecessor. Therefore, I can say that for those of us who have never been introduced to the story, Kid Beowulf stands well on its own as a dramatic and clever presentation that combines an epic tone with well-developed characters and clever touches of humor.

Author and illustrator Alexis E. Fajardo fir
Nov 06, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
This review is on behalf of my six year old daughter. I wasn't sure if she was old enough for this book, but she picked it up on her own from my bookshelf, drawn to the pictures. She has discovered graphic novels in the last year or so, and when I found her, she was already halfway through this one. She spends hours--hours!--reading this book, poring over the words and pictures. She has reread it quite a number of times, and whenever she sees it, she ends up picking it back up. Though the ...more
Barbara
This action-packed retelling of the classic Beowulf story features two brothers, twins Beowulf and Grendel, who were separated at birth and then reunited later in life. The graphic novel format captures the violence and blood as well as the hubris, greed, and passion of the various family members of these two. Readers will develop empathy for Gertrude with her monstrous form but desire to be loved and recognized by her all-too-human and imperfect father. The relationships among many of these ...more
Jenna
Jul 13, 2015 Jenna rated it liked it
7/12/21015
Upon starting from the first book and rereading this volume, I enjoyed the backstory between the families and characters all the more. It was entertaining and distinct while still including aspects of the epic. I do wish that we had seen more of the brothers, but I'm sure that'll all play out in future volumes, now that the past has been settled upon. Gertrude, in particular, was enjoyable to watch, even if she might have had a bit of instalove with Edgethow.

9/27/2013
Interesting attemp
Tammy
Aug 29, 2013 Tammy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I met Fajardo a couple of years ago at SPX, where he took a very short while to convince me to try his take on the Old English legend. I shouldn't have left this in the pile for so long. Kid Beowulf is clever and literary in the best way a kids' comic can be. It must have been fun for Fajardo to take the poem and give its characters life and backstory. Making Beowulf and Grendel brothers is genius.
Christian Lipski
May 17, 2010 Christian Lipski rated it it was amazing
Excellent!! Even if you don't know the original poem, this is a great book. It doesn't hurt that the original tale is summed up in the first few pages, though. The story of Beowulf and Grendel before the events of the poem - how did they grow up? What did they do? Great story.
Ms. Yingling
Jul 23, 2016 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Did not meet the needs of my collection at this time. A bit too difficult for my graphic novel fans.
Linnaea
Sep 30, 2014 Linnaea rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth
Really cute. I enjoyed the buildup to the boys' life. It doesn't stay "true" to the story (at least my memories) but quite adorable, I look forward to reading the next one.
Karen Luk
Sep 29, 2008 Karen Luk rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A fun twist on the legend of Beowulf. It's part of a 12 volume series following Kid Beowulf and company all over Europe.
Snow
Snow rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Carol Tilley
Carol Tilley rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Eti
Eti rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2013
Jenni
Jenni rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Travis
Travis rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Gloria
Gloria rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2009
Mompop
Mompop rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Eric Steinberg
Eric Steinberg rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2014
Grace
Grace rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2012
Kristen Leclercq
Kristen Leclercq rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Karen
May 23, 2008 Karen marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction
Hooray! It's on Goodreads. Now we just need to get the cover image.
Josiah Bates
Josiah Bates rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2016
Caitlin Adams
Caitlin Adams rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Todd Glaeser
Todd Glaeser rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2013
Alexis E. Fajardo is a student of the classics – whether Daffy Duck or Damocles – and has created a unique blend of the two in his graphic novel series, Kid Beowulf. Lex currently resides in Santa Rosa, where, when not penning Kid Beowulf, he works as Senior Editor of Publishing at the Charles M. Schulz Studio.
More about Alexis E. Fajardo...