Start by marking “Nuestra Arma es Nuestra Palabra: Escritos Selectos” as Want to Read:
Nuestra Arma es Nuestra Palabra: Escritos Selectos

Nuestra Arma es Nuestra Palabra: Escritos Selectos

En este libro fundamental, Seven Stories Press presenta una poderosa colección de escritos literarios, filosóficos y políticos del enigmático vocero de los zapatistas, SubComandante Marcos. Con la Introducción del ganador del Premio Nobel, José Saramago, e ilustrado con bellas fotos en blanco y negro, Nuestra Arma es Nuestra Palabra cristaliza, la pasión de un rebelde, la ...more
Published December 5th 2000 by Siete Cuentos (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Nuestra Arma es Nuestra Palabra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nuestra Arma es Nuestra Palabra

Benjamin
Sep 09, 2011 Benjamin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tons of Marcos's strange communiques from the Lacandon Jungle, from 1994 through 2000. The first half of the book are the (for Marcos) more or less standard reports about Zapatistas actions and invitations to encuentros etc. The second half as the Don Durito the Beatle stories and the truly excellent Viejo Antonio stuff, a mix of Popul Vuh and post-everything rebellion. I wish the editors had just left everything in chronological order because reading one kind of missive for while gets a bit tir ...more
Malcolm
On New Year's Day 1995, the day the NAFTA Agreement came into force, a group of indigenous Mexicans, manly armed with wooden guns, occupied five towns in the southern state of Chiapas: they were fighting to be seen, yet their leader wore a ski mask and his face was never seen. The politics of the Zapatista rebellion (named for the national liberation leader in the early 20th century) are quite brilliant and paradoxical – a fight to be left alone, a fight to be seen, a fight to demand that Mexico ...more
Israel Calzadilla
Dec 09, 2009 Israel Calzadilla rated it liked it
Terminado de leer hace mucho, me faltaba tiempo para la reseña. Le doy 3 1/2.

El Subcomandante Marcos es el vocero y estratega de los zapatistas, un movimiento insurgente indígena basado en México, Chiapas específicamente.

En los diecisiete años que han pasado desde esa rebelión, Marcos ha alterado el curso de la política mexicana y ha surgido como un símbolo internacional de la construcción de los movimientos de base, rebelión y democracia.

"Nuestra Arma es Nuestra Palabra", está dividido en tre
Dan
Feb 28, 2011 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Subcomandante Marcos has a way with words. He relays his political ideology through a series of whimsical and humorous short stories and essays. He brings the real-world tragedy of a people to light, in a way that is not preaching nor heavy handed, but lyrical and beautiful. An enlightening read, and one that will change the way you look at society, and the plight of the Zapitista movement.
Br1cht
Sep 15, 2013 Br1cht rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book and the author really touched me. So if you want to read one of the most thought inducing books of the century, read this one.

The sub-commandante puts his very soul on display for all to see and even if you dont agree with his politics youll agree with his humanism.
Sparring
"dignity cannot be studied. you live it or it dies. it aches inside you and teaches you how to walk."

"everything for everyone. nothing for ourselves."
Rachel Jackson
Jul 08, 2013 Rachel Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for the third time in October 2015. Original review below.

- - - - - - - - -

I first heard about Subcomandante Marcos in a writing class three years ago but never got around to reading any of his publications until more recently. But once I cracked open Our Word is Our Weapon, I was hooked. Marcos writes about the history of the Zapatista National Liberation Army and the physical fights they've had to go through to get the slightest bit of attention. He writes of them being blown off or bein
Micah
May 15, 2011 Micah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: radicalism, favorites
"We are the end, the continuation, and the beginning. We are the mirror that is a crystal that is a mirror that is a crystal. We are rebelliousness." Wearing masks so they might have a face, going nameless so they might be known, dying in order to live . . . Upon consulting with the dead in the mountains, the Zapatistas demand everything for everyone and walk in a world with many worlds. Marcos is a master of the communique, but I probably enjoyed the stories of Old Don Antonio the most, where t ...more
Morgan (Turbo)
Jan 31, 2016 Morgan (Turbo) rated it liked it
En este libro el revolucionario Subcomandante Marcos cuenta la historia de la revolución. Es un colección muy grande de obras de poesía, ensayos de política, y cuentos. Enfoqué en la tercera parte en que Marcos cuenta las historias graciosas de Don Durito de Laconda que es una parodia de Don Quijote. As veces la narrativa me hace reír. Otras veces lo me hace rasguñar la cabeza y me pregunto, "Qué?" Las acciones y plática de Don Durito no hacen mucho sentido as veces pero vale la pena leer por el ...more
Aris Azhari
Sep 03, 2007 Aris Azhari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zapatista
zapatista, globalisasi dunia, negara-bangsa, dan cerutu kuba.

sebuah buku dengan berbagai kisah tentang mereka yang terpinggirkan, tertekan karena pilihan, yang setia menjaga nilai-nilai warisan dari tanah kelahiran.

perjuangan tak melulu soal peluru dan senjata, selalu ada 'ruang untuk kata'.
karena bagi marcos, kata adalah sebuah senjata.

vale!
Josh Hogan
Apr 15, 2009 Josh Hogan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, sad, hilarious and real, all at the same time. Subcomandante Marcos and his compatriots aim to "plant the tree of tomorrow, and this book tells you exactly what they mean by that and how they are doing it.
M.
Sep 14, 2013 M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sosyal-bilimler
Durito'yla Söyleşiler kadar etkili bir edebiyat üslubu ve derinliği yok. Ancak yine de EZLN ve Marcos hakkında okuma yapanların ilgisini çekebilir.
Linda
Jul 29, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: global-issues
This collection of writings by the head of the Zapatista movement in Mexico tracks the growth of this important grassroots rebellion against neoliberalism. Don't expect a dry read; Subcomandante Marcos is an clear and poetic writer with an enlightening message.
Og
May 17, 2007 Og rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very informative, first true postmodern revolution
Elsie
Dec 09, 2007 Elsie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best. Read this if you read anything.
Alberto
Feb 14, 2009 Alberto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful to read women lead the revolt.
Michael
An interesting look into the man behind the Zapatista rebels in Chiapas. I read the first edition of this book, long before the Zapatista's changed their ideology to outright Marxism.
pippi
Jun 05, 2007 pippi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zapatistas
it's big. real big. thus it can be a little repetitive. and i can't help it if i find subcommandante really hot.
Brook
Apr 05, 2007 Brook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair revolutionaries
Shelves: nonfiction
A great journey through a wide variety of texts, from pirates to modern communiques.
Jeanne Kay
Jan 29, 2015 Jeanne Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without exageration, the one book that changed my life.
Nina
read The Story of Dreams by Subcomandante Marcos
Sps
Nov 15, 2010 Sps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language, 900s
The best kind of nonsense. Of course my East Bay leftist heart was completely won over by the politics, but really, the combination of gravity-plus-whimsy in the tales made it irresistible.
Ruth
Dec 27, 2009 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i am looking forward to this book!
Courtney
Mar 09, 2010 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a great read. His communiques are moving and passionate, and the short stories are funny, yet there is a seriousness to them. I read it in one day because I could not put it down.
Diego
Mar 15, 2011 Diego rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uno de aquellos libros que te cambian.
Anton Rifco
Oct 25, 2011 Anton Rifco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The war for the word has begun.
Luke
Luke rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2008
Enedina Martinez
Enedina Martinez rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Jake McClean
Jake McClean rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2015
  • The Zapatista Reader
  • The Fire and the Word: A History of the Zapatista Movement
  • Wobblies and Zapatistas: Conversations on Anarchism, Marxism and Radical History
  • Century of the Wind (Memory of Fire, #3)
  • Villa and Zapata: A History of the Mexican Revolution
  • Empire's Workshop: Latin America, the United States, and the Rise of the New Imperialism
  • The Revolution of Everyday Life
  • The Ralph Nader Reader
  • Anarchy
  • How Nonviolence Protects the State
  • Che Guevara Reader: Writings on Politics & Revolution
  • The Subversion of Politics: European Autonomous Social Movements and the Decolonization of Everyday Life
  • The Heart That Bleeds: Latin America Now
  • Red Emma Speaks
  • Zapata and the Mexican Revolution
  • The Voltairine de Cleyre Reader
  • Hugo Chavez: The Bolivarian Revolution in Venezuela
  • We Are Everywhere: The Irresistible Rise of Global Anti-Capitalism
Subcomandante Marcos (date of birth unknown) is the spokesperson for the Zapatista Army of National Liberation (EZLN), a Mexican rebel movement. In January 1994, he led an army of Mayan farmers into the eastern parts of the Mexican state of Chiapas in protest of the Mexican government's treatment of indigenous peoples.

Marcos is an author, political poet, adroit humorist, and outspoken opponent of
More about Subcomandante Marcos...

“There once was a brown horse that was brown like a bean, and he lived in the home of a very poor farmer. And the poor farmer had a very poor wife, and they had a very thin chicken and a lame little pig. And so, one day the very poor farmer s wife said: We have nothing more to eat because we are very poor, so we must eat the very thin chicken. So they killed the very thin chicken and made a thin soup and ate it. And so, for a while, they were fine; but the hunger returned and the very poor farmer told his very poor wife: We have nothing more to eat because we are so poor, so we must eat the lame little pig. And so the lame little pig s turn came and they killed it and they made a lame soup and ate it. And then it was the bean-brown horse s turn. But the bean-brown horse did not wait for the story to end; it just ran away and went to another story.

Is that the end of the story? I asked Durito, unable to hide my bewilderment. Of course not. Didn't you hear me say that the bean-brown horse fled to another story? he said as he prepared to leave. And so? I ask exasperated. And so nothing you have to look for the bean-brown horse in another story! he said, adjusting his hat. But, Durito! I said, protesting uselessly. Not one more word! You tell the story like it is”
10 likes