Start by marking “The Candy Darlings” as Want to Read:
The Candy Darlings

The Candy Darlings

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  235 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The candy became an obsession between two outcasts—one who only wanted to fit in, the other who knew she never would.
Urban legends, rumors, lies, myths, mysteries, fairy tales. Stories, in all their magical forms, bound them together.
“Satin Chocolate–Covered–Chicken Bones,” “Astro Pop,” “Fun Dip,” “Thrills.” The candy stories—outrageous, twisted, hysterical— were an escape
Published September 4th 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Candy Darlings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Candy Darlings

Stephanie
Dec 07, 2007 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like good YA
Shelves: from-library
This book was very readable and very disturbing. Children can be so horrible to each other, and I had nightmares after finishing this book. It was so good, though, that I read it all in one evening, devouring it like the candy it celebrates. Recommended.
Emma
Jul 22, 2015 Emma rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I ended up liking this a little bit more at the end. I think the ideas were good elementarily, but the ways they were presented were not beneficial to the quality of the book. Some parts were really weird and twisted, and I didn't feel like I really got closure on a lot of the conflicts at the end. I guess this could be drawing parallels to the nature of stories, their ability to sustain and endure, but we never find out who Rose is or what happened to Blake.

I liked that the name of the protagon
Boston
Jun 14, 2013 Boston rated it it was ok
I just gave this book away to a boot shop last time I cleaned off my bookshelves. Why, you may ask? Because I knew that I would never read it again and would never recommend it to anyone. It is a strange, pseudo-fairytale retelling of a variety of stories made to involve candy.

It chronicles the lives of two friends; the more mature and "new kid" friend and a more naive partner. The "new kid" goes on to tell all of these disturbing and often paranoid stories about candies and sweets that is enoug
Lucy
Jun 08, 2008 Lucy rated it it was amazing
After her mother dies, a girl and her father move out of their house filled with memories to a smaller house and a new neighborhood. Our narrator (whos name we never learn) is desperate to reinvent herself, to be popular, and it works for a time, until Megan Chalmers moves in. Megan is weird and unabashed - and though our heroine tries to keep away from her, they form an instant bond of outcast friendship. Megan is also addicted to candy, a stark contrast to our heroine, who vowed never again to ...more
Grace
Jan 28, 2013 Grace rated it it was ok
I first discovered The Candy Darlings over six years ago when I was seventeen or sixteen in a clearance bin a Borders.
I always would look through the clearance out of curiosity, and the title and cover of this book intrigued me.
Now, it has been my experience with fiction that the title of a book is often not describing the plot at all.
'The Last Unicorn', for instance, is in fact truly about the last unicorn on Earth.
But 'The Mermaid Chair' is not about mermaids. At all.
So, I was pleasantly surp
Alexia Hoffstaetter
Oct 03, 2009 Alexia Hoffstaetter rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books I've every read it's so twisted and chilling
Heather
Gabbi
Oct 23, 2012 Gabbi rated it it was amazing
I really really liked this book. This book is about the srtruggle of teenage life at home and in school in a new town with one girl(the main character,unknown name) trying to keep her dad from going mad and the desire to become a popular "normal" girl for the start of her new life. The other girl(Megan) with having to go home to an empty house waiting for her mother to come back from her bussiness trips.Both dealing with a lost loved one and an obsession with candy.The find each other at school ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
May 03, 2008 Jennifer Wardrip rated it liked it
Reviewed by Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

What the new girl wanted was to start over, find a completely new identity. Now that she and her dad had moved, she was able to do just that. She had it all mapped out--start the new school year at a new school, make some new friends and become part of the "in" crowd. Then all chances of being popular were ruined when Megan Chalmers entered the scene, with her weird self, eating candy all the time.

But now the girls befriend ea
jiayi
Sep 16, 2014 jiayi rated it really liked it
One of the first few 'young adult' books I've dabbled into although I am pretty sure I was just an 11 year old then. Overall, it was a memorable read and I think what really caught my attention throughout the whole books were the little stories with the assortment of candies and sweets. It was craved my sweet tooth immensely. Dark and twisted, I would highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in something just a little kinkier.
Ashley Osborne
Sep 15, 2014 Ashley Osborne rated it it was amazing
The darker side of young adult literature. Totally twisted and unexpected. It's a part of my personal collection.
J. Liliana
Nov 22, 2014 J. Liliana rated it really liked it
Enticing. Absolutely loved it.
Karina M
Jan 01, 2009 Karina M rated it it was amazing
This book, was purely amazing.
I got the honor of being proclaimed as Christine Walde's number one fan and she got to visit my Writing Workshop. It was a delight to meet her, and her words create instant pictures in your mind even when not on paper.

The book is my favorite. It's dark and twisted and the candy is described in such a way it makes me crave the candy. Her writing really creates pictures in my mind. The Candy Darlings-a great read!
Cassie
May 07, 2007 Cassie rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian
I read about this author in the newspaper and was happy to support local talent. The book was very well-written, but extremely dark for a Young Adult book (unless it's just me getting older!). I'm also a candy fiend, so I identified in that way with the main girls, and loved their interaction with a mentor figure. Overall, though I just felt a little unsatisfied with the characters and the conclusion. I will definitely watch for Walde in the future!
Chloe
Aug 25, 2008 Chloe rated it liked it
The writing itself was good, and the plot was good, but it was a bit inconsistent, if you will? There was something about it...the writing style didn't exactly fit the plot or the narrator...And the ending could've used more clarification...Overall, it was pretty good. Not revolutionary, but better than a lot of books for teens (in my opinion).
Johanna
Jul 04, 2008 Johanna rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: teens
Shelves: teen
I thought there where some great ideas and concepts for a young person to enjoy but it didn't really go any where interesting like I thought it would at the beginning.
I did love the way the author strung words together to create beautiful images in my mind.
But a bit of a disappointment over all.
Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc)
Jan 18, 2015 Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc) rated it really liked it
Reminiscing on some old reads that I loved
rose
Jan 09, 2008 rose rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those into the whole fairytale mentality but looking for something a little sugar-funked up
Recommended to rose by: local library reccommended reading shelf
juvenille at times, but a good read. kind of a francescia lia block fairytale feel with a middle school new girl meets new girl meets the boy who sits behind her in sugary metaphor.
Sam
May 08, 2008 Sam added it
a girl jus lost her mother and wont eat candy but ironicly she befriends a person who eats nothing but that and fins the strenght to stand up for herself.
Robin Novak
Dec 21, 2013 Robin Novak rated it it was amazing
I just love this book. I read the whole thing in 2 days I couldn't stop reading it. It was the best
Katrinda Tejeda
Sep 26, 2012 Katrinda Tejeda rated it it was amazing
This book is my favorite book of all time because it brings me back to my best year in middle school that I will never forget and always treasure.
Ly
Jun 22, 2010 Ly rated it really liked it
Are those stories about Megan??? And I can't find the girl name, I think it's creepy like no one ever called her by name in the book.
Esonja
Jul 05, 2010 Esonja rated it really liked it
This was a great and sordid combination of Heathers and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, with some spooky twists thrown in.
Molly
Aug 15, 2007 Molly rated it did not like it
this. was. really. bad. it was kind of stupid, and just really crazy and kooky and BAD.
Paige
Feb 27, 2011 Paige rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. Very thought-provoking. Amazingly realistic.
Greenflowers
May 16, 2010 Greenflowers rated it really liked it
That she slowly accepts what happens to her mother.
Kayla
Jun 26, 2011 Kayla rated it really liked it
dark and sinister and oddly compelling
Saskia
Saskia rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Kim Enright
Kim Enright marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
  • The Girl with the Mermaid Hair
  • Exploits of a Reluctant (But Extremely Goodlooking) Hero
  • Doing Time: Notes from the Undergrad
  • Buddy Is a Stupid Name for a Girl
  • Wave
  • Real Time
  • Willow and Twig
  • Trapped (Wild at Heart, #8)
  • Straydog
  • Ruby
  • Love Rules
  • A Perfect Gentle Knight
  • Lois Lenz, Lesbian Secretary (Career-Girl, #1)
  • Crush
  • Lark
  • Circle of Silence (WiHi, #2)
  • Amandine
  • Cupcake (Cyd Charisse, #3)
Christine Walde has been published in several national and international journals, including The New Quarterly, Descant, The Antigonish Review, and Plath Profiles. She was most recently shortlisted for The 2009 Descant Winston Collins Award. Her first novel, The Candy Darlings, was published by Houghton Mifflin in the US (2006) and by Penguin Canada (2007). She is currently the Writer-in-Residence ...more
More about Christine Walde...