The Queen of Stone (Eberron: Thorn of Breland, #1)

The Queen of Stone (Thorn of Breland #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In the land of monsters, you'll want her by your side.
Nyrielle Tam--better known by her code name, Thorn--is a Dark Lantern sent undercover to a summit in the monstrous kingdom of Droaam. The beasts of Droaam have organized and want recognition from the kingdoms of Khorvaire. Breland attends to gauge its neighbors' reaction to the new state's demands of equality . . . an...more
Published November 4th 2008 by Wizards of the Coast

To ask other readers questions about The Queen of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen of Stone

Paul Genesse
The Queen of Stone
Thorn of Breland

The medusa on the cover made me pick it up, but the writing sucked me in. The first three chapters are extremely well-done, and kept me guessing for quite some time. If you love strong female characters, this is a book for you.

The main character is a super spy named Nyrielle Tam. Code name: Thorn. Picture OO7, except she’s a female half-elf who uses magic. Instead of all the technical gadgets that James Bond has, Thorn has magical items to help her on her secret...more
Artemisa
I liked Thorn but on the other hand she had nothing special about her ((view spoiler)but that happens in the end of the book and feels almost as an after thought or a "it's fate" solution to end the story).
I like the setting (I have been is a Eberron DnD champaign for 2 years or so), but it's nice to get to know other parts of the world.
I guess I noticed some little details that are an Eberron flavor, like the fact that there are 12 nations + 1 nations...more
Jeremiah Mccoy
It is a game fiction tie in, but not a terrible one.

The beginning of the books weak, but a few chapters in it picks up and the writer seems to find his footing. It is apparently a follow up series, and unfortunately, it did not explain enough of the previous events to make the references to the previous events clear. The handling of the Queen of Stone character was very well done, as were a number of the interactions. I felt like character was obtuse at times to a frustrating degree, but that i...more
Jeff
I think Baker does a nice job of creating some central characters that you can actually care about, which isn't easy when one is a medusa. Unfortunately, the book ends with way too many unanswered questions. I'm sure those questions are answered in the books that follow, but I would have liked a little more explanation at the end.

Still, I did enjoy it, and it was a nice way to start off the new year.
Robert Carlberg
This was a really good book. Not so many twists and turns or anything, but just a great story. Eberron was a great realm to base stories in, and I wish I could find a way to get others to play in something like it. Thorn is a great character with enough of a secret by the end, that I can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy.
Michael
Though it wasn't until recently that I even enjoyed fantasy, but the Eberron setting with it's mixture of science fiction and fantasy adds to the action packed scenes and big reveal of an evil even inside a kingdom of monsters. Good read but it really isn't going to win awards.
Peter Levi
I was intrigued by the premise of the book wherein the lead gets involved in a monster-ruled nation within Eberron (a D&D campaign setting). Sadly it's full of lifeless, one-dimensional characters with a simplistic plot and just not worth reading.
MJ
It started pretty mediocre and finished the same. It was terrible but it was never particularly interesting nor original - about the only reason I finished it was the fact that it was short and I figured I may as well see it through to the end.
Sharon
Interesting and involved plot with wonderful characters that draws you into the story, again not predictable like so many other books
Dean Gilbert
Excellent pacing, and Thorn has now become my favorite D&D character. Really focuses on what an Eberron story is really like.
Kat Malmberg
Kat Malmberg marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Devin
Devin marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
John M Campbell
John M Campbell marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Nat
Nat marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Kadir
Kadir marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Kelso
Kelso marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Winterking
Winterking marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Marios
Marios marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
19558
I've been interested in games since I first fell under the sinister influence of the Dungeons & Dragons boxed set, back in sixth grade. Over the last few decades I have managed to turn gaming from a hobby into a career. Here is a list of the highlights of my life as a game designer. If you have any questions, let me know!

From 1994-2002, I fell into the computer games industry. My first job was...more
More about Keith Baker...
LMNO Peas Eberron Campaign Setting (D&D: Eberron) The City of Towers (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #1) The Shattered Land (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #2) The Gates of Night (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #3)