Start by marking “The Economist” as Want to Read:
The Economist

The Economist

Edited in London since 1843, The Economist is a weekly international news and business publication, offering clear reporting, commentary and analysis on world current affairs, business, finance, science and technology, culture, society, media and the arts. As noted on its contents page, The Economist's goal is to "take part in a severe contest between intelligence, which ...more
Published by The Economist Newspaper Limited (first published 1843)

Agasti Tari
Jun 30, 2014 Agasti Tari rated it it was amazing
The Economist is the best magazine available on international politics and economic policies. Keeps you up to date with all the happenings in the world at Macro level. It is also a great magazine of you want to improve your vocabulary. Slightly expensive but worth it!
Colin Flanigan
Apr 16, 2013 Colin Flanigan rated it it was amazing
Any magazine that started in 1850 and you can get delivered electronically is worth it! Well there are other reasons...it is a British publication with an international scope and articles that challenge you. The April 6 issue has a 16 page report on China and the internet along with a few good articles on Korea. The magazines look at the United States is worth the subscription. This makes the "dismal science" actually entertaining! Try one issue at the grocery store or the local library if this ...more
Simon
May 07, 2012 Simon rated it it was amazing
Just read it from cover to cover every week. Get used to the words you don't understand, then look 'em up!
Richard Chen
Nov 19, 2016 Richard Chen rated it it was amazing
i am le pretentious elite
Abhishek
Jan 16, 2016 Abhishek rated it it was amazing
I had long been exasperated by the lack of a good source of current affairs on my reading list. With the astronomical figures some newspapers charge for a subscription and the limitations on number of free, quality articles available on the net, my grip on what was happening in the world was slipping. No más, no más. I was strolling through Schiphol this Christmas, waiting for a connecting flight, when the double issue of The Economist sitting on a newstand caught my eye. One look at the cover ...more
Konrad von Pless
Aug 19, 2016 Konrad von Pless rated it really liked it
A good periodical with deep analyses and very interesting topics ranging from business, to geopolitics, to economics, to science and art. The topics are fresh and up-to-date, the price is acceptable, and the cover is always attractive. It does have a certain bias, especially noticeable when it comes to the recent issue of immigration, but otherwise does a great job of explaining and recounting international affairs.
Jjaekley
Jul 26, 2012 Jjaekley rated it it was amazing
This and Pacific Standard are my go to newsmagazines. The economist offers balanced and thoughtful insight into world events. I appreciate the fact that this weekly covers events that most other newsmags only footnote. It helps me see the relationships between events taking place around the world as well as stay informed. Pacific Standard is more of a culture and trends mag.
E
Feb 25, 2016 E rated it it was amazing
Premium content, excellent analyses, clever and even humorous at times - it's impossible to not fall in love with the Economist. As one of the best periodicals on newsstands today, this newspaper gives wholistic and interconnected examinations of global events from week to week. It's not a surprise that I eagerly wait for this to arrive in my mail box every Friday.
Avishek Sahu
Mar 21, 2016 Avishek Sahu rated it really liked it
The magazine I have read for many years now; over the past couple of years only in digital edition. Till recently it featured the most amazing prose I have found in any newspaper, magazine, or for that matter, book. I'll be chivalrous and admit that I owe a large part of my growth as a writer to religious reading of The Economist magazine!
Sean
Jan 09, 2013 Sean rated it really liked it
Shelves: periodicals
This was my favorite periodical for many years, partly because of the quality of writing and also due to the seemingly favorable attitudes of the editors toward individual liberty. Since 2008, however, the writing quality seems to be slightly lower, and the political and economic viewpoints occasionally veering toward statism.

Nonetheless I estimate one of every two issues is worth a read.
Core
Aug 31, 2015 Core rated it it was amazing
The best news magazine I can find in the world today. I like how it is objective in describing an event but also subjective at the very end of an article. And the subjective part happens to be what I agree on. Perhaps I am not knowledgable enough on the matter and get sway by editors' opinions. Next year I will unsubscribe 'TIME' and just keep this.
José Monico
Jan 01, 2014 José Monico rated it it was amazing
Nothing but absolute adoration, and love for this magazine. This, and Foreign Affairs are my can't-miss papers. Sure I enjoy other magazines on ocassion like Mother Jones, Pacific Standard, The American Conservative, etc., but can't miss The Economist weekly.
Kishore Cumar
Feb 20, 2015 Kishore Cumar rated it it was amazing
It's excellent magazine on world news, it is also uses words you'd want to add to your vocabulary, I'm referring the dictionary very very often than never before, you must give it a try, I gave it 5 stars because I've never seen anything like this
Craig
Jan 28, 2016 Craig rated it really liked it
The Economist is my weekly read for open-minded and honest updates on the world's goings-on. Unlike most others, this newspaper assumes its readers have the intelligence and maturity to read beyond a primary school level. One's intelligence is not insulted, just enhanced.
Chris
Jul 15, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
This is my weekly newsmagazine, and I shall have no others before it. Read it cover to cover every week and within a few months you'll be better informed than the majority of your peers. Economically moderate-to-conservative, socially fairly progressive, with emphasis on individual freedoms.
Ian Richardson
Ian Richardson rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Siim
Siim rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2015
Navin
Navin rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2011
Bj Atchley
Bj Atchley rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2013
Christian Adams
Christian Adams rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2016
Jeremy Freund
Jeremy Freund rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2014
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2008
Nana
Nana rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2012
Rahmilyna Putri
Rahmilyna Putri rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2013
Nicolai Cappelen
Nicolai Cappelen rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2011
Joel Fun Wei Xuan
Joel Fun Wei Xuan rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Crackerreader Rademaker
Crackerreader Rademaker rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2012
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2012
Scott Troolin
Scott Troolin rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2013
Khaled Seddik
Khaled Seddik rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2011
  • The Complete Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook
  • Financial Management: Theory and Practice
  • China's Trapped Transition: The Limits of Developmental Autocracy
  • The Challenge to Succeed
  • The Time Of Your Life
  • Viking
  • Granta 112: Pakistan
  • The Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told (Batman)
  • Breaking BUD/S: How Regular Guys Can Become Navy SEALs (formerly The SEAL Training Bible)
  • Batman: Gotham Underground
  • Torchwood: Department X
  • The River Runs Black: The Environmental Challenge to China's Future
  • Batman: The Ultimate Guide to the Dark Knight
  • Fluid Mechanics w/ Student Resources DVD (McGraw-Hill Mechanical Engineering)
  • Ultimate Spy Book
  • Pirate
  • A Book of Simple Living
  • Losing Our Cool: Uncomfortable Truths About Our Air-Conditioned World (and Finding New Ways to Get Through the Summer)