Start by marking “Seven Tales of Sex and Death” as Want to Read:
Seven Tales of Sex and Death

Seven Tales of Sex and Death

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Both revealing and disturbing, these eponymous tales explore themes of perversity and power, lust and mortality, offering the reader a disquieting feast of debauchery and decadence.
Published March 5th 2004 by Picador (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Tales of Sex and Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Tales of Sex and Death

Emmanuelle Maupassant
Having adored Patricia's 'Hallucinating Foucault (1996) and enjoyed The Deadly Space Between: A Novel (2002), I felt compelled to try this collection of her short stories.

The author writes that her intention was to 'disturb and provoke'. To this end, I believe she is partially successful, since these two tales have stayed with me for some days after closing the pages.

Moreover, I'm left asking myself why these particular stories are haunting me, which I'm sure is what Ms. Duncker would be pleas
Nux
May 18, 2009 Nux rated it it was ok
Seven tales, out of which I can say that I enjoyed reading 2 and indifferent to the rest. The title and back cover of the book are also rather misleading as they suggest something (at least to me) quite different than the stories in this book. I was expecting more thrill, more oomph, more scary.... apart from the violence told in a rather mild manner in 2 of the stories, there are no more violence. My favorite story, I'd have to say, is the last story, the one least violent and in fact rather fu ...more
Jaykayrisque
Nov 11, 2014 Jaykayrisque rated it it was amazing
Some women are aroused by the thought of being brutally raped. 'Stalker' takes that unacceptable premise a truly horrific step further.

In the future, Sophia is engaged in an underground sexual entertainment business. At some point in 'Sophia Walters Shaw' you might be sick.

In following tales, the author's characters encounter post traumatic stress and ghoulish superstition. The rural idyll succumbs to gathering forboding and authoritarian action.

All these stories are thoroughly convincing. Thoug
Tammy Lu
Apr 25, 2011 Tammy Lu rated it it was ok
not nearly enough sex nor death.
Alan
Feb 27, 2009 Alan rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
one or two excellent stories here, one or two not so..
Leonard Hulley
Leonard Hulley marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Wmeisengmail.Com
Wmeisengmail.Com rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Ele
Ele rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Linda Blinova
Linda Blinova rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2015
Stephanie (R-A)
Stephanie (R-A) marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Eline
Eline marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Nonums
Nonums rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2015
Simone Chandler
Simone Chandler rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
Danira
Danira marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Kate Shaw
Kate Shaw rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Redgirl
Redgirl rated it liked it
May 04, 2015
Uroosa Kashif
Uroosa Kashif marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Lucifer666
Lucifer666 marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Marcus Hobson
Marcus Hobson rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Damla Kellecioglu
Damla Kellecioglu rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Patricia Duncker attended school in England and, after a period spent working in Germany, she read English at Newnham College, Cambridge.

She studied for a D.Phil. in English and German Romanticism at St Hugh's College, Oxford.

From 1993-2002, she taught Literature at the University of Aberystwyth, and from 2002-2006, has been Professor of Creative Writing at the University of East Anglia, teachin
More about Patricia Duncker...