Start by marking “Kalte Asche (David Hunter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Kalte Asche (David Hunter, #2)

Kalte Asche (David Hunter #2)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  7,813 Ratings  ·  415 Reviews
Merkwürdig sieht die verbrannte Leiche aus, die der forensische Anthropologe David Hunter auf der abgelegenen Hebriden-Insel Runa zu Gesicht bekommt. Durch die unglaubliche Hitze des Feuers ist sie fast gänzlich zu Asche zerfallen -- bis auf Beine und Füße, die fast unversehrt in den Raum ragen. Auch in der Umgebung des unmittelbaren Tatorts hat das Feuer kaum Schaden ange ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Rowohlt (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Kalte Asche, please sign up.

Carolina Garcia Izquierdo Not necessarily, you will be able to follow(continue) the plot well. But it is suitable to do it in order to know the life of the principal prominent…moreNot necessarily, you will be able to follow(continue) the plot well. But it is suitable to do it in order to know the life of the principal prominent figures.(less)

Thessbuecherwelt
May 21, 2017 Thessbuecherwelt rated it really liked it
besser als Band 1. Aber umgehauen hat es mich trotzdem nicht.
Gosia
Feb 22, 2013 Gosia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After enjoying the hell out of "The Chemistry of Death" I was very eager to start reading the second book about Dr Hunter. And... oh boy. I don't really know where to begin.
The book starts interestingly enough: gruesome murder, interesting location, good ol' Dr Hunter... But then it takes over a hundred pages until something, ANYTHING happens. Some of the characters in the book were so cartoonish I was afraid I might injure my eyes with all the eyerolling. Here's your token single mother with a
Hannah
Mar 04, 2010 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, gripping police procedural mystery. A slow start, but midway it takes off and there are several twists at the end that took me totally by surprise, especially the final few paragraphs - WHAT??!!

If you enjoy the *locked room* variety of murder mystery, Written in Bone should satisfy. Gruesome in places, and a plot twist that's creepy to say the least, but a quick and satisfying read.

Anna
Rating: 4.5 stars

This is the second in the David Hunter series, and was just as compelling as The Chemistry of Death. The tension, the forensics, the story telling; they all had me gripped from page one, and one of the reveals made me gasp out loud and say 'NOOOO!' I loved the eerie atmosphere of the remote island, cut off from the mainland during a savage storm; no-one can arrive, no-one can leave, and there’s a killer on the loose with a fondness for fire. It gave me the chills!

Beckett has be
Mathilda Grace
Mar 04, 2017 Mathilda Grace rated it it was amazing
Je kleiner der Ort, desto dunkler die Geheimnisse seiner Bewohner.

Wenn man dann noch auf einer Insel in einem dicken Sturm festsitzt, wird eine Mordermittlung schnell zum Wettlauf gegen die Zeit, denn plötzlich gibt es einen zweiten Mord, einen Mordversuch und jede Menge Verdächtiger, weil irgendwie jeder etwas zu verbergen scheint.

Auch der zweite David Hunter Roman folgt dem bekannten Schema und bietet dabei jede Menge zum Grübeln. Ich mochte es sehr, wie sich nach und nach alle Puzzleteilen zu
Gwenn
May 14, 2008 Gwenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moira
This book rocketed along, with lots of twists and turns until the very last page. It's a variation of the "and then there were none" theme, with all the characters trapped on a very small island in the Hebrides and no obvious suspects for any of the murders. The hero, a forensic anthropologist, is not quite smart enough to figure things out before we do, but that is part of the wonderfully sustained tension. Now I'm off to find the author's first book!
Димитър Цолов
Разследванията на д-р Дейвид Хънтър продължават да ми се вслаждат. И "дедуктивните способности" на "малките ми сиви клетки", ако мога да използвам израза на Артър Конан / Кристи ;) стават все по-добри и по-добри - отново рано-рано се досетих за... (нищо не казвам :) ) А пък леееко отвореният край подсказва само едно - в най-скоро време ще награбя и третата книга от серията!
Jenny
Mar 15, 2017 Jenny rated it really liked it
Auch der zweite Teil der David Hunter Reihe hat mir wieder gut gefallen.
Die Hinweise auf den Täter waren wesentlich weniger offensichtlich.
Ich konnte gut miträtseln und lag mit meiner Theorie auch nicht ganz daneben,aber im Gegensatz zum ersten Teil bin ich nicht hinter alles gekommen.
Schade fand ich,dass das Setting doch recht ähnlich war wie im ersten Teil.
Wieder spielt sich alles in einem abgelegenen Dorf (hier Insel) ab und wieder gehört jemand,dem David Hunter vertraut zu den Verbrechern.

Ni
Roland
Apr 04, 2011 Roland rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This reader loved The Chemistry of Death and in Written in Bone the descriptions of the actual finds are no less enthralling. However, it is unacceptable if, in I-narration, a third person in a chapter (i.e. a later report by the I-narrator – anything else would be impossible) fails to see shadows lifting themselves from the dark. This is cheating or oversight – not good writing. The extended ending with twist upon twist, too, is not convincing, just laboured. There is more to say – the constant ...more
Gerald Sinstadt
When Patricia Cornwell embarked on her series of novels about a forensic detective, the territory was fresh and interesting. But disciples have appeared, disinterring the bodies and conducting autopsies but finding little that is original. Simon Beckett is a follower though with a link back to Agatha Christie.

Written in Bone has a self-styled forensic anthropologist for a central character, thus justifying any amount of grisly information about burning bodies. But Dr David Hunter is cut off by
Jasmine
Jun 22, 2011 Jasmine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british
I didn't like this as much as the first one it was really really similar thematically and basically feels like he's reworked the same plot.

he's still clearly a smart guy which I like, but I mean there aren't enough crimes in london he has to go out to bumfuck scotland to find one? fine whatever, then there's a storm OH NO. But then ugh really a bit too thematic and cliche.

on the other hand, I liked the ending it was awesome. I think he really pulled that through, if the rest of the book was a
Carmina
Nov 17, 2016 Carmina rated it really liked it
Konnte mich nicht ganz so überzeugen wie der erste Teil. Die Handlung plätscherte lange vor sich hin, ohne dass so richtig Spannung aufkam. Die Rahmenhandlung erinnerte mich auch sehr an den ersten Teil, da hoffe ich, dass sich Beckett für den dritten Teil mal was Neues ausgedacht hat. Das letzte Drittel des Buches konnte mich dann wieder voll überzeugen, es war super spannend und die Auflösung und ihre Wendungen fand ich richtig gut. 3,5*, aufgrund des tollen Schreibstils aufgerundet auf 4.
Cátia Santos
Dec 28, 2013 Cátia Santos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melhor ainda que o anterior! Só peca por me ter deixado novamente descobrir muito cedo quem estava por detrás dos crimes, mas não deixou de ser surpreendente!

E não podia ter concluído o meu 2013 reading challenge de melhor forma: no dia 31 de dezembro, com um livro 5*! :)))
Kawana
Nov 11, 2016 Kawana rated it it was amazing
Ich wollte eigentlich 4 sterne geben weil ich fand dass es schon parallelen zum ersten teil gibt....aber das Ende! Krass.
Lénia
Dec 25, 2013 Lénia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Gostei tanto!! Absolutamente inesperado e muito, muito bem construído.
Aylin
Jun 10, 2017 Aylin rated it it was amazing
amazing!!
Сибин Майналовски
Ами прекрасно. Нямам други думи за тази книга. Класическа "заключена стая", обрати до последната страница, разтърсващ финал и никакви сантиментализми. Прекрасно. Наистина прекрасно.
Alexandra
Aug 02, 2011 Alexandra rated it really liked it

Der Oskar für die grauslichsten Einstiege in Kriminalromane geht an.... Simon Becket!! Jedes mal auf Seite 1 beginnts mich zu schütteln in Chemie des Todes (Band 1) ging es um Larven und ihre Arbeit an einem toten Körper und in "Kalte Asche" um die Wirkung von Feuer auf Körper. Sehr sachlich - deshalb aber nicht minder grausam sondern eher mit verstärktem Ekelfaktor wird dem Leser extrem detailgetreu vermittelt, was passiert, wenn der Körper wie eine Kerze verbrennt. Ein mittlerweile bewährtes
John Wiltshire
Sep 28, 2015 John Wiltshire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in the David Hunter series. This time set on an isolated Scottish Island, the tension ratchets up and up with each page. Atmospheric and densely plotted, this is an excellent addition to the series. David Hunter is a forensic anthropologist. He's drawn into the investigation of a bizarre find: the partially burnt body of a young woman in a croft. Stories always work well in remote, isolated communities, and in this novel the island becomes cut off by a terrible storm--no commu ...more
Diego
Dec 16, 2009 Diego rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ENGLISH: As a forensic thriller... awesome. The main character is easy to be related with.
It was kinda gruesome in some parts but keeps you in the line the whole time. It made me elaborate like 5 different theories about the possible killer or killers, but in the end everything turned out right the opposite and with multiple endings. I can't say that I enjoyed it, too many corpses being analized and explicit descriptions, but I got hooked by the plot.

ESPAÑOL: Lo leí en inglés así que no sabría
Kala
Nov 24, 2012 Kala rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Plot line:
A murder occurs on a small island in the middle of no where. With technology difficulties from a storm, our hero determines how the victim died and that the murderer is still on the island. More bodies appear and it's now the hero's job to stop him before he kills again.

Opinion:
I started this book not knowing that this was the SECOND in a series. The author tried to bring me up to speed, but the character was flat. This should be impressive because the story is told in first person, bu
Tattered Cover Book Store
This is a forensic suspense/mystery/thriller that has more than a few twists and turns to it, even up to the bitter (or sweet,depending on how you look at it) end. CSI, Reichs, Cornwell, etc fans will love it. I can't say I was at the EDGE of my seat, but I was way past the middle of it and turning pages fast....
Premise: a forensic anthropologist gets called out to a remote British island to investigate a suspitious death. A storm, a fire and more than one body keep him there as he risks his lif
Dimitar Jovanovski
Like 'Chemistry of death' before it, I really enjoyed this book. Beckett writes so well that it's almost impossible to skim read his novels. Every sentence earns its place in the book. Again, the atmosphere is palpable, and the characters well-written and vivid. There's a very real sense of isolation and a feeling of a community turning in on itself as the characters are effectively stranded on a lonely Scottish Island with a psychopathic killer on the loose. Beckett creates a thrilling murder m ...more
A Girl Has No Name
Apr 06, 2014 A Girl Has No Name rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thriller, 2015
"Kalte Asche" hat mich wirklich gut unterhalten und ich konnte das Buch etwa ab der Hälfte nicht mehr aus der Hand legen. Ich mag Becketts Schreibstil und obwohl es sowohl im Aufbau, als auch im Setting einige Ähnlichkeiten zum ersten Teil gab, fand ich die Geschichte sehr spannend. Einige Apsekte waren recht vorhersehbar, während das Ende mich dann doch sehr überrascht hat. Da die forensischen Details, die mir im ersten Buch so gut gefallen haben, hier weniger zur Geltung kamen, gibt es "nur" v ...more
Stefanie
Well, I'm not exactly going to write a review about this but, instead, I'm going to ask a question: How can you possibly destroy such a promising story with such a lame ending?? I had hopes for this book - just as for its predecessor - but Beckett's formulaic "final twists" ultimately always destroy the stories for me. I'm disappointed.
Barış Erdem
May 14, 2012 Barış Erdem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Son derece sürükleyici ve gerilim dolu bir kitap.Yazarın ilk kitabı ölümün kimyası da güzeldi ama bence bu kitapta kendini aşmış. Karakterler son derece güçlü, kurgu sağlam. Okuyucuyu ters köşeye yatıran katil tahminlerinin her geçen sayfa değiştiği bu tarz kitapları çok seviyorum bu nedenle polisiye - gerilim sevenlere şiddetle öneririm.
Wolfgang
Jan 24, 2016 Wolfgang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super-Krimi - stilmässig so gut wie die "Chemie des Todes" aber die Handlung ist wesentlich angenehmer zu verdauen - einfach nur gruselig anstatt grausam.
Am Ende geht's ein bisschen "over the top" mit der Handlung und das Buch wird so wie ein Film-Thriller, wo der tote Böse immer nachmal aufsteht. Aber insgesamt ein wirklich schöner Krimispass.
Darren Roubinek
Mar 26, 2013 Darren Roubinek rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable murder mystery. Thin characters. The opening just plods along. Oh, yes there are twists (lots of twists), but they're forced and convenient twists that only the author can fully enjoy. It was like reading an afternoon soap opera script.
Esma Tezgi
Jun 09, 2015 Esma Tezgi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Okuması güzel ve gerilimi iyi ayarlanmış, merak uyandırıcı bir polisiye.
Yorum için tık tık :)
Maraia
The first book was great, but this one was even better. And oh, so painful. But what a cruel cliffhanger! :O
  • Der Augensammler
  • Mordsfreunde (Bodenstein & Kirchhoff, #2)
  • Rauhnacht (Kommissar Kluftinger, #5)
  • Der fremde Gast
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barrett, #3)
  • Das Jesus-Video
  • Die Reinheit des Todes (Julius Kern, #1)
  • Winterkartoffelknödel (Franz Eberhofer, #1)
  • Rachesommer (Walter Pulaski, #1)
  • Jung, blond, tot
  • The Death Sculptor (Robert Hunter, #4)
  • Bretonische Brandung (Kommissar Dupin, #2)
After an MA in English, Simon Beckett spent several years as a property repairer before a stint teaching in Spain. Back in the UK, he played percussion in several bands. He has been a freelance journalist since 1992, writing for The Times, The Independent on Sunday Review, The Daily Telegraph, The Observer and other major British publications. In 2002, as part of an article on the National Forensi ...more
More about Simon Beckett...

David Hunter (5 books)
  • The Chemistry of Death (David Hunter, #1)
  • Whispers of the Dead (David Hunter, #3)
  • The Calling of the Grave (David Hunter, #4)
  • Totenfang  (David Hunter, #5)

“When it comes to misfortune, we are all selfish at heart, offering up the same prayers: not me, not mine. Not yet.” 10 likes
“Kiedy los nam nie sprzyja, w głębi serca wszyscy jesteśmy egoistami i wszyscy wznosimy te same modły: tylko nie ja, tylko nie ja, jeszcze nie teraz.” 3 likes