Start by marking “The Ladies of Longbourn (The Pemberley Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Ladies of Longbourn (The Pemberley Chronicles, #4)

The Ladies of Longbourn (The Pemberley Chronicles #4)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Exploring what life was like in Jane Austen's era, Collins explores the themes of how a complex young woman's passionless marriage forces her to find strength both within herself and her family. Her rejection of the conventional marriage without love or passion, makes her a truly Austenian heroine.
Published October 1st 2008 by Sourcebooks Landmark

To ask other readers questions about The Ladies of Longbourn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ladies of Longbourn

Shannon
While Ms. Collins writes well, I finally realized what it is about this series that disappoints me.

First, all of her main characters are so disgustingly good and modern in their outlook. The reason we like Darcy and Elizabeth is that they are flawed, and those flaws almost keep them from the person best suited to them. The fact that they slowly learn and become better people is half the fun of P&P. The worst that can be said of any of these later characters is that they make mistakes in judg
Jess Swann
Alors tome 4 *soupir* Anne Marie s'est mariée mais ce n'était pas une union d'amour (ce que tout le monde condamne alors que concrètement, c'était monnaie commune non ?) Donc on retrouve les mêle tout habituels : Emma Watson, Caroline Fitzwilliams.... le tout sous la houlettes des matrones bien pensantes : Elizabeth & Jane... Du reste, rien ne change : par exemple tout le monde appelle Elizabeth "Lizzie" mais Mr Darcy reste Mr Darcy.... Donc on déroule l'histoire et tout y est tellement atte ...more
Brittany
Here's the thing that bugs me the most I think. The black sheep are tucked safely away in another pasture. If they don't fit into this little niche they have of being the only people who can save the county, they don't belong. Charles wasn't allowed in the county while he stilled blamed Jonathon for Amelia-Jane's death (rightly so, but that's a whole other review), Amelia-Jane gets killed off because she doesn't want to be a political wife, Julian Darcy is sent to Cambridge because he has no int ...more
Becki
Feb 11, 2015 Becki added it
Shelves: book-collector
I enjoyed this book more than the last couple. Perhaps because I wasn't reading it back to back with the rest of the series. \n\nI was able to be more engaged with that characters without thinking of Jane Austen's originals.
bookyeti
A novel which could truly be one of Ms. Collins' finest works, The Ladies of Longbourn is a treasure for any avid Jane Austen fan who adores the beloved novel, Pride and Prejudice.

As this lovely, intricate story unfolds - with an enjoyable and convincing narrative - the reader lives vicariously through thee lives of the three heroines of the time, each with their own moving saga to tell.

These ladies of Longbourn are unforgettable; the story, touching. Indeed, it can be well said - Ms. Collins we
Roxanne
Wonderful! Fantastic! Amazing! Incredible :) I really could go on and on about how much I loved this book. Anne-Marie and Colin *swoon* Twists and turns from beginning to end. I laughed out loud several times, gasped in shock and was moved to the verge of tears.
Samantha
Once again Ms Collins has written a most absorbing story, using the beloved characters of Darcy, Elizabeth, Jane and Bingley as bases for her own characters.

Following the characters of Anna and Anne-Marie Bingley, the Ladies of Longbourn is the fourth of ten ooks in the Pemberley series, one in which I have become deeply absorbed in.
Jacqueline
It's not Jane Austen. Not a bad read, but the slow pace of Austen that arises from a slower time just gets frustrating from a modern author. In Austen, it is attention to detail. These sequels just endlessly repeat description slightly reworded.
Dawn
Moved a little quicker than the others in this series (or maybe I've just read it in bigger chunks). As a die-hard Jane Austen fan, I've really enjoyed this series.
"Aubri"/Lisa
Another solid installment from Rebecca Ann Collins. I have to admit though that the political aspect of this story began to wear on me - lol!
Samantha Garlock
I love, love, loved this addition to the PC. Mr. Colin Elliot swept me off my feet that is for darn sure.
Barbara
It's a nice story, written in Jane-Austen-ese, and there are lots more in the author's series (yay).
Kaitlin
Could not put it down!
Anna-maria Bucsa
Anna-maria Bucsa is currently reading it
May 27, 2015
Susanne
Susanne marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Ana-maria Balas
Ana-maria Balas marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Desislava Zhejnova
Desislava Zhejnova marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Morgan Maker
Morgan Maker marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Claudine Dimuzio
Claudine Dimuzio marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Linda Klassen
Linda Klassen marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Mrscarriemilesgmail.Com
Mrscarriemilesgmail.Com marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
K V
K V marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Debbie Byrd
Debbie Byrd marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Pinkilove98
Pinkilove98 marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
  • The Road to Pemberley: An Anthology of New Pride and Prejudice Stories
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • Darcy's Temptation: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Intrigue at Highbury: Or, Emma's Match (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #5)
  • Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A Tale of a Gentleman and an Officer (Darcy and Fitzwilliam, #1)
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • A Pemberley Medley
  • Mr. Darcy's Secret
  • My Dearest Mr. Darcy (Darcy Saga #3)
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • Letters from Pemberley: The First Year
  • Conviction: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice
  • And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)
  • Caroline Bingley
  • Apprehension And Desire: A Tale Of Pride And Prejudice
  • Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker
Rebecca Ann Collins is the pen name of a lady in Australia who loves Jane Austen’s work so much that she has written a series of sequels to Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, following Austen’s beloved characters, introducing new ones and bringing the characters into a new historical era.
More about Rebecca Ann Collins...

The Pemberley Chronicles (10 books)
  • The Pemberley Chronicles (The Pemberley Chronicles, #1)
  • The Women of Pemberley (The Pemberley Chronicles, #2)
  • Netherfield Park Revisited (The Pemberley Chronicles, #3)
  • Mr. Darcy's Daughter (The Pemberley Chronicles, #5)
  • My Cousin Caroline (The Pemberley Chronicles #6)
  • Postscript from Pemberley (The Pemberley Chronicles, #7)
  • Recollections of Rosings: The acclaimed Pride and Prejudice sequel series (The Pemberley Chronicles, #8)
  • A Woman of Influence
  • The Legacy of Pemberley
The Pemberley Chronicles (The Pemberley Chronicles, #1) The Women of Pemberley (The Pemberley Chronicles, #2) Netherfield Park Revisited (The Pemberley Chronicles, #3) Mr. Darcy's Daughter (The Pemberley Chronicles, #5) My Cousin Caroline (The Pemberley Chronicles #6)