Beach Babylon

Beach Babylon

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  39 reviews
How does it feel to live and work in the world's most beautiful and luxurious tropical island resort, surrounded by white sandy beaches and aquamarine seas? How does it feel to be in the lap of luxury when you're thousands of miles from anywhere else? And when the guests are some of the richest and most demanding people in the world, where do you find the energy every day...more
Published April 12th 2008 by Corgi Books (first published January 1st 2007)

Paul Robb
I did enjoy Beach Babylon, although not as much as my favourite (Air) Babylon book. It is very breezy although I certainly would not want to work 24/7 in paradise like the manager - delegation would be the answer although then of course there would be no story. I guessed the plight of Ben (Assistant Manager) in the end and it was really like watching a documentary on the very wealthy, knowing that this life is very much out of reach unless I win the lottery.
Sam Still Reading
Jun 23, 2011 Sam Still Reading rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Babylon fans
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: liked other Babylon books
Beach Babylon is yet another of the Babylon series that contains Hospital, Hotel, Fashion, Wedding etc. Each book, with the help of several anonymous insiders, provides an insider’s look into the world of hotels, hospitals etc. As I found Hospital Babylon amusing with some truth to it, I decided to try some more Babylon books. Not to mention that they also appear on discount piles and are exceptionally easy reads that can be read during busy working periods.

Beach Babylon is somewhat similar to H...more
Caroline
I am a fan of the Babyon books. This one I did consider a bit less fun then the other that I have been reading. But then I have never been at a beach resort and I have never mingled with the super rich. The thing is that Edward-Jones ones more manages to give you a very good insight of how things work back stage and that not everything is glamour and glitter. You might be after a job like one of them featured in this one but I do believe that after a few months you do long for so many ordinary t...more
Karschtl
Well, if this isn't the perfect read for a holiday on the beach then I don't know what is. Luckily I read the book really on a day we spent at the beach (instead of at the pool).

It's a sometimes a bit embarrasing to read how outrageous some ppl can behave - especially when they are on holiday. Especially the Germans don't get off too well in this book.

I don't know if I would like living on this island. I probably would be contended with books, movies and some friends to hang out with (hey, that'...more
Shea
Nov 07, 2013 Shea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ihave
Phew!
I could feel the stress faced by the hotel manager while reading this. Good read as it gave me new perspective on hotel business.
Looking forward to read other Babylon titles. Imogen Edward-Jones Beach Babylon
Fluffychick
Not as good as Hotel Babylon...could be that some of the "shock" factor was used up in reading that first and lets face it, it's more of the same on a desert island! Maybe beacause I've stayed in a few luxury resorts I've seen a fair bit of it myself already. What i did find interesting was the sheer dullness of a tropical paradise for those who work there and although it pains me to say it...i actually don't envy them!
Kingfan30
Another light entertaining read from the Babylon series. It really was just an extension of Hotel Babylon just set on a different venue! I was not really surprised at the lives of the rich and famous and how demanding they could be and it did leave with a craving for a glass of champagne.
Tania
This formula is becoming a bit of a cliche. While it really worked for Air and Hotel, it falls a bit short here.

Not the most interesting in the Babylon series - especially if you couldn't care less what rich people get up to on an island resort.
Kathleen
Wanneer je zin hebt in een waargebeurd verhaal dat leest als een fictie-bestseller dan is de "Babylon"-reeks een must.Ik heb genoten van dit boek en hoop gauw aan het bij de bib gerserveerde "Air Babylon" te kunnen beginnen.
Sharon
Intresting, mind you, has made me realise I wouldn't work on a island resort if they paid me the money they could, I'd be inclined to be fired within the first couple of days, for telling guests where to get off.
Arielle Walker
Terrible writing, but the behind-the-scenes look at the world of luxury resorts was interesting enough to allow me to finish it. Hour-long read at most, preferably lying on a gorgeous beach somewhere.
Nouran Gamal
reading about extravagant lifestyles as this makes you appreciate the small things you have in life and be grateful to having a VERY normal plain lifestyle. Thank God for everything :)
Josie
I really enjoyed this book.
I have been reading some pretty heavy foreign fiction recently and it was nice light hearted trash to take an afternoon off the grid.
Jenny  (hades2) (Chocolate Chunky Munkie)
I do love the Babylon books, very entertaining. Beach Babylon was a light and fun read, just what I needed to lighten this dark Autumn day.
Oddmonster
These books exist for a reason, and that reason is for when your brain goes doolally and needs to stop thinking so much.
Zabetta Camilleri
the best option ever for a rain sunday in london - takes you away and reminds you that here is not that bad at all ... mind candy
Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else]
What? I was on a tropical island resort at the time. I believe a trashy novel is mandatory in these circumstances.
Bill McCartney
If this is how the top 0.00001% live on holiday - I'm not impressed.
Some funny bits, but generally very boring stuff!
Beth Lloyd
Ok, but didn't seem so good, after reading Jess Ruston's 'Luxury'. But it was ok, would like to read the flight one.
Sandra
another quick and amusing read in the Babylon series, I enjoyed this one as much as Hotel Babylon

Wendy Hamnett
not bad, but not the best i have read, not my usual read either, but if you like a nice easy read, this is ok
Leonie
Fun, fast, entertaining read. Glad I don't have to deal with the public in my job!
Rose
I happen to live in this environment, so I found it quite entertaining and cute...
Sephie
Great bit of escapism in the trials and tribulations of running a millionaire's paradise.
app
Some funny bits but a bit strained really. Go for Air Babylon over this one.
Nicki
I really liked Air Babylon. This was not as good, but still worth a read.
Helen
Found this book quite funny. Sounds a bit like Faulty Towers in the sunshine.
Rachel
Hospitality at it's finest. Who know that perfect to this much work.
Joanne Faulkner
I read this book while I was on holiday, it was a good read:)
Amanda
One of my favorite beach reads! Read while in Playa
  • Tan Lines
  • Playground: A Childhood Lost Inside the Playboy Mansion
  • Wish You Were Here
  • Have Mother, Will Travel: A Mother and Daughter Discover Themselves, Each Other, and the World
  • Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud
  • The Love Academy
  • Karaoke Culture
  • You are Not Alone: Michael: Through a Brother's Eyes
  • The Beach House
  • Home Truths
  • The Tent, the Bucket and Me
  • The Personal Shopper (Annie Valentine, #1)
  • A Friend of the Family