Start by marking “National Geographic Complete Birds of North America” as Want to Read:
National Geographic Complete Birds of North America

National Geographic Complete Birds of North America

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Essential, comprehensive, and easy to use, National Geographic Complete Book of Birds is an astonishing resource that covers every bird species in North America, as well as all the migrants that fly through. The entries are organized by family groups-an incredible 82 are included-according to the American Ornithological Union guidelines. Within a family, each separate bird ...more
Published November 15th 2005 by National Geographic

Be the first to ask a question about National Geographic Complete Birds of North America

Anna Nesterovich
An extended version of National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America, with all its pros and cons. The book is not a field guide, because it's big and heavy. But more space did not improve lack of information on habitat, behaviour, morphs, and such things as annual cycles, times of breeding/migration/moulting, descriptions of nests (their location, material and so on), and preferred food.

Still, it is the best guide to American birds I found so far. It contains recognisable picture
Tiffany
This is NG's answer to Sibley's guide and Sibley's Guide to Bird Life and Behavior. I like the NG's organization better. Sibley's goes by family, NG by individual bird. Too heavy to carry around but great for reference. It might not have as many different plumages as Sibley's, but it has beautiful and accurate illustrations, and its maps and other graphics beat Sibley's hands down. This is the reference book I reach for first.
Florence
For serious birders, this is a great resource! There are 962 species of birds recorded in North America; 4000 illustrations of them are found here. One of my favourite is the hummingbird bird. There is a dozen pages of information here to help identify various breeds of "hummers", the smallest of all birds.
Abby
Entering into a life of more wilderness. Trying to identify what's around me.

I love browsing this but when trying to find a bird I've seen in my backyard it's a bit hard to locate since everything is organized into species and families.
Adam Johnson
Adam Johnson is currently reading it
May 12, 2015
J.
J. is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2015
Jason Broander
Jason Broander marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Jim
Jim is currently reading it
Mar 01, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Manda
Manda marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Erick Deeton
Erick Deeton marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jonathan K. Alderfer is an art consultant and a bird artist whose illustrations appear in National Geographic field guides. He began his career as a painter in the 1980s as an illustrator of articles for The Western Tanager, the Los Angeles Audubon Society's newsletter.
Jonathan is an avid, expert birder.
More about Jonathan Alderfer...
National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America National Geographic Backyard Guide to the Birds of North America National Geographic Birding Essentials National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern North America National Geographic Kids Bird Guide of North America: The Best Birding Book for Kids from National Geographic's Bird Experts