Start by marking “The Complete Poems” as Want to Read:
The Complete Poems

The Complete Poems

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,353 ratings  ·  28 reviews
This collection includes all the poems from the incomplete "Collected Poems" of 1929 and from the separate smaller volumes issued during Lawrence's lifetime; uncollected poems; an appendix of juvenilia and another containing variants and early drafts; and all Lawrence's critical introductions to his poems. It also includes full textual and explanatory notes.

For more than s
Published January 1st 1994 by Penguin Classics (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Poems

Kevin Shannon
My favorite poem from my favorite poet:

"Self Pity

I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself."
-D. H. Lawrence, 1929
Oh D.H.! How did I forget you? My running in the woods in a white dress at midnight poet! If I were the king of the world, I would declare that all poets must have beards and use at least two exclamation points and two question marks per poem, and must write at least one poem with wind in it per year.

Song of a Man Who Has Come Through

Not I, not I, but the wind that blows through me!
A fine wind is blowing the new direction of Time.
If only I let it bear me, carry me, if only it carry me!
If only I
What is it about Lawrence and sex? Even the tortoises are having intercourse in this collection of poetry.

And let me just say, Lawrence, the bunny poem, dude, really?

That aside, or maybe because of it, many of the poems in the collection are good. Even if Lawrence had never written any of his novels, many of these poems might have earned a place in literature as well. He covers more than sex, but politics and the hope and contradiction that is America. There is much about gender roles and rela
The Great American Sage Don Jones introduced me to D,H. Lawrence poetry in 2000 and D.H. is one of the greatest gifts I have received in understanding the depth and breath of the sacred masculine's longing for wholeness in our world ~ true love, natural beauty and authenticity in interactions with others. This is a complete digest of D.H.'s poetic angst, insights and blessings in modernity that reveals a new wonderful landscape of wholeness in humanity and horizons in the human heart for all of ...more
Nathan Nearpass
Dec 19, 2009 Nathan Nearpass is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
'One thing is certain, we've got to take hands off love.
the moment i swear to love a woman all my life that very moment i begin to hate her.
In the same way, if i swore to hate a woman all my life, I should instantly feel a pang of compunction
Amounting almost to love.' D. H. Lawrence
I had to read some of D.H. Lawrence's poems for an English class my favorite one was Bat. Lawrence begins this poem by describing a beautiful scene of bats flying in the sunset in Florence Italy. He believes these bats to be swallows, but asks himself why are they flying so late. He begins to study the way they fly and how they look in the sky. When he realized that they are bats he changes, and begins to describe this animal with certain disgust, he calls them "creatures that hang themselve
Darina Philogene
Didn't read this in its entity because I'm not a fan of poetry but I read a good amount of these poems and I liked them.
But there are too many for me to sit and read this from beginning to end.
I'm not entirely sure that every poem in here needed to be published, but it was a complete collection and read over the course of many, many months, worth the effort in my opinion.
Ata A
D.H. Lawrence's poems are intensely expressive. My personal favorite of his poems in this large collection is the very last, "Phoenix". For those interested in Metaphysics - especially Sufism or even Buddhism - they will appreciate the words of the poem "dipped into oblivion" [fanaa' in sufic nomenclature].

Overall I adore the work! It also includes poems regarding politics, love, morality, religion, justice, etiquette and even subtle satire :)

Here are some short selections:

Souls to Save

You tell
Daniel Klawitter

Why does the thin grey strand
Floating up from the forgotten
Cigarette between my fingers,
Why does it trouble me?

Ah, you will understand;
When I carried my mother downstairs,
A few times only, at the beginning
Of her soft-foot malady,

I should find, for a reprimand
To my gaiety, a few long grey hairs
On the breast of my coat; and one by one
I watched them float up the dark chimney.
Stella Wang
Quick read since the poems are just so beautiful and straightforward! His words are so beautiful but also witty sometimes! The poems certainly make me think of the cruel reality yet appreciate certain things!
This is one I've picked up off and on over many years. My favorite is the little poem

I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now, I could say that it is not a poem, but just a piece of observation which sticks in my memory. Which, I suppose, could be a definition of poetry after all.
Reading this book was an epic experience in my life. I read it kind of slow. It's really like reading someone's journal. There's just a strange powerful energy to it. Most of the poems aren't great by themselves, but together they gain all these strange momentums, they start to take you over. Some of his short ones are his best.
ماهر Battuti
Though Lawrence is mainly known as a novelist, he has written huge number of poems. His poetry is deep and digs into the consciousness of human nature and also mythical connections.
Some of the poetry of Lawrence was translated unto Arabic, and I have rendered his poem "Ship of Death" into Arabic as far ago as 1964.
I read some of his short stories and poems in highschool and thought they were dark and depressing with few redeeming qualities. I appreciate the attempt at defining the "human condition", but it just gets depressing and old after a while.
Awesome Poet!!!! Here is one of the poems I loved. It's short.

I never saw a wild thing/
sorry for itself./
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough/
without ever having felt sorry for itself.
I studied D.H. Lawrence for a high school assignment. Lucky for me, because I really liked his work a lot. I haven't read every poem, but some of my favorite are "Ship of Death" and "Snake."
Andrew Hodgson
Look for selections instead. Lawrence had a lot of half formed repetitions, and junk. He was weak when working in rhyme, stronger outside of it. Pretty experimental.
why struggle thru lady chatterleys lover and missing the lame sodomy bit anyway its that lame when you can be a complete pansy and use this as yr pillow
Fanny Howe recommended this to me while I was in Russia.

So far, I'm still in the rhyming doggerel early poems.
Terry Mendez
This is a poet that will never get old he was way ahead of his time
there is a poem about a broken bird-
i forgot the title
quoted in g.i. jane movie
by guy who plays aragon
"The Piano" is my absolute favorite poem. I treasure this collection and keep it on my nightstand.
Emmanuel Sigauke
Lawrence at his best int terms giving an insight about life.
Rotten politics - wonderful, searching lines.
Jan 05, 2008 Allison rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poets
Shelves: poetry
Rabbit Snared in Night. My oh my.
Julia Michell
Adore The Snake!!
Alice Smith
Alice Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
  • Selected Poetry
  • Collected Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • Poetical Works: Tennyson
  • The Metaphysical Poets (Penguin Classics)
  • Collected Poems, 1912-1944
  • Works of William Blake
David Herbert Richards Lawrence was an English writer of the 20th century, whose prolific and diverse output included novels, short stories, poems, plays, essays, travel books, paintings, translations, literary criticism and personal letters. His collected works represent an extended reflection upon the dehumanizing effects of modernity and industrialisation. In them, Lawrence confronts issues rel ...more
More about D.H. Lawrence...

“I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.” 694 likes
“Nobody knows you.
You don't know yourself.
And I, who am half in love with you,
What am I in love with?