Start by marking “Euthyphro/Apology/Crito/Meno/Gorgias/Menexenus (Dialogues, Vol 1)” as Want to Read:
Euthyphro/Apology/Crito/Meno/Gorgias/Menexenus (Dialogues, Vol 1)
Read Book

Euthyphro/Apology/Crito/Meno/Gorgias/Menexenus (Dialogues, Vol 1)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The five volumes that Allen has produced so far are much more than just another set of translations of Plato. They provide an accessibly coherent stand-alone course of study in Platonic philosophy. One can start right from the Preface of the 1st volume & read them all straight thru to the very end of his masterful edition of the Republic.
Allen develops a number of cr
Published September 10th 1989 by Yale University Press (first published January 1st 1892)

To ask other readers questions about Euthyphro/Apology/Crito/Meno/Gorgias/Menexenus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Euthyphro/Apology/Crito/Meno/Gorgias/Menexenus

Derek von Barandy
Translations are extremely readable (This is especially important if you teach it; I teach the Euthyphro and Polus section of the Gorgias). The commentary is useful, but definitely not as inspiring as any excellent commentary *on Plato* should be.

I should add that the Gorgias is on a very short list of books that have substantially changed my life for the better.
James
Who was Socrates? He died in 399 BC and according to Plato and Xenophon there was a trial at which he was condemned to death. But there are no writings of Socrates for he never wrote down anything. The result is we must rely on the picture of Socrates drawn by Aristophanes, Plato, and Xenophon. In the Clouds Aristophanes portrayed Socrates as a teacher who charged fees for instruction, taught a variety of subjects including rhetoric, and disbelieved in the traditional gods. All of this is denied ...more
Scott Zuke
Jan 25, 2010 Scott Zuke rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Philosophy and Classics students
Gorgias: R.E. Allen's translation was the clearest and ALSO the most accurate of three that I compared while studying Ancient Greek (the others being Donald J. Zeyl's for Hackett, and Lamb's in the Loeb Classical Library). It'd be very hard to top.

Meno: Excellent translation, so easy to read.

His introductions to these texts are very helpful in providing both section-by-section summary and analysis, as well as an overarching interpretation of how the texts might be viewed as a whole, leading to c
Pam Holzner
interesting. amazing from a historical persepective
Josh
I didn't actually read this book; it's my proxy for the various dialogues I've read. I prefer the early ones (Meno and Apologia are my faves) and stopped reading about 2/3 of the way through when they get too heavy for me. If I ever decide it's a good idea to read the Laws, just do me a favor and put me out of my misery.
Bill
The dialogues are great and R.E. Allen's commentaries are very helpful, but this is taxing, so I can hardly say I've "gotten" this book without closer rereading, which I'll do, someday.
Murph Hutson
Most of this work is concerned with the trial and death of Socrates. Socrates was absolutely brilliant. The logic he employs should be envied by all thinkers. A brilliant mind.
Harish
To be read again, again, again, and ...again
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Svetlana
Svetlana marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Abhishek
Abhishek marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Marta Ortega Gaspar
Marta Ortega Gaspar is currently reading it
May 24, 2015
Nellie Green
Nellie Green marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Olympia Pakis
Olympia Pakis marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Malena
Malena marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
M Moore
M Moore marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Arshad Khan
Arshad Khan marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Veysel
Veysel marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
KYLE
KYLE marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
K Barrett
K Barrett marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Erin
Erin added it
Apr 02, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Plato I: Euthyphro. Apology. Crito. Phaedo. Phaedrus. (Loeb Classical Library, #36)
  • Posterior Analytics/Topica
  • Sophocles I
  • Francis Bacon: The Logic of Sensation
  • Existentialists and Mystics Writings on Philosophy and Literature
  • Concluding Unscientific Postscript to Philosophical Fragments (Writings 12.1)
  • Dialogues and Essays
  • Principles of Human Knowledge & Three Dialogues Between Hylas and Philonius
  • Examined Life: Philosophical Meditations
  • Law 101: Everything You Need to Know about the American Legal System
  • Pragmatism and Other Writings
  • The Elements of Law, Natural and Politic: Part I: Human Nature; Part II: de Corpore Politico with Three Lives
  • Aeschylus II: The Suppliant Maidens, The Persians, Seven against Thebes, and Prometheus Bound (The Complete Greek Tragedies)
  • On Duties (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought)
(Greek: Πλάτων) (Arabic: أفلاطون)
Plato is a Classical Greek philosopher, mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosophy and science.

Plato is one of the most
More about Plato...
The Republic The Trial and Death of Socrates The Symposium Apology Five Dialogues: Euthyphro/Apology/Crito/Meno/Phaedo