Start by marking “The Message: The New Testament in Contemporary Language” as Want to Read:
The Message: The New Testament in Contemporary Language

The Message: The New Testament in Contemporary Language

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  1,147 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
The message preserves the authentic, earthy flavor and expressive character of the Bible in contemporary language. With more than six million copies sold, Eugene Peterson's unique paraphrase has opened up understanding and insight into God's Word. This new easy-to-carry format is great for carrying or for giving away. This new format brings the life-changing power of the N ...more
Published March 5th 2000 by NavPress (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Message, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Message

Mary
May 14, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
I love how The Message reads so smoothly, takes me into large sections of text, and makes me laugh when I recognize a verse and how appropriately Eugene Peterson expressed it with creative, insightful language. I recently read the intro to the Promise Keeper's edition and fell in love with his pastoral heart for us. I love how an author I've never met can feel like a personal mentor.
Evie
Apr 27, 2008 Evie rated it liked it
For someone concretely atheist, I must admit that if anyone were to want to understand the gist of the Christian bible in a tolerable way, this would be it. I got my hands on this book thanks to the well-intentioned aunt of a boyfriend during high school. Written as a novel about the life of Christ, this version of the New Testament is highly readable (compared to the alternatives).
Maureen
Jul 28, 2009 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My second time through this version of the New Testament. It is easy reading and am now reading The Message Bible by Eugene Peterson. I've learned that to really gain insight into The Word, you keep rereading the Bible, whatever version you're comfortable with. As soon as you read the last page of Revelations, you turn to the first page of Genesis and start again.
Gerald
Jan 08, 2011 Gerald rated it it was amazing
I love to read The Message, OT and NT, for my daily Scripture reading. It is a paraphrase, and I would always confirm the meaning with ESV, Greek NT, etc. before teaching a passage. However, I love to read The Message.
Gillian
Sep 28, 2010 Gillian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The message is not only The Word of God, it also brings lots of laughs! Like Jesus saying shut up... Haha!
Paul Cockeram
Feb 10, 2015 Paul Cockeram rated it liked it
The Good Book has been enshrined in its King James version so long that, for most of my life, every time I heard quotations from the Bible, the language sounded medieval--a bit stilted, though definitely poetic. The poetry of the King James edition, a preacher friend once told me, is what he associates with the Bible. But that same man went and bought me this edition, which has been translated into the idiom of our day, in order to show both of us something important about the Good Book: It's al ...more
Kipi
Jan 03, 2013 Kipi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read through the Bible every year, but I chose this version for 2013 because I think for personal growth it is important to at least occasionally explore something different than my normal NIV. While there were sections that really brought new insight, for the most part I didn't enjoy this particular translation. The modern, everyday language often felt too modern, too laid back, too secular. At one point during the year, I told two of my daughters that I was reading The Message for my daily B ...more
Troy
Mar 19, 2010 Troy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly love Peterson's creative, insightful translation. Masterful, and imminently helpful. Recommended to all. I have read it again and again, and will continue to do so.

It's not a word-for-word translation, wasn't intended to be, and doesn't need to be. But when you need a break from standard Bible versions, or a fresh approach to the Bible for any reason, The Message can be just the thing. It has reignited my love of the Bible time and again when it was needed, or carried me when my heart just
Erin
Dec 31, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes called a paraphrase more than a translation, Peterson's The Message has none of the omissions and other problems that plague true paraphrases like The Living Bible. I've read elsewhere that The Message is actually superior to many "pure translation" Bibles in its fidelity to the original Greek and Hebrew. In my own reading, I've found it compares favorably with the New King James Version, and I can say personally that its breezy, colloquial phraseology saved my life at a time when I ne ...more
Lene Pienaar
Feb 01, 2013 Lene Pienaar rated it did not like it
I'm sorry if this upsets people (that's not my intention) but the fact of the matter is that a serious look into "The Message" reveals some devastating changes to the original meaning of the scriptures. This takes ad lib-ing to a whole new level and the fear of God should at least make others look into the matter with honesty. It's colorful language and easy to read style does not excuse it's total lack of often even a vague similarity to the original text.
Carrie
Oct 18, 2012 Carrie rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the contemporary language style . . . But sometimes I miss the more poetic phrasing and more accurate interpretation from an NIV. Best to keep one on hand. But overall, a much easier read. Oh yes!
Truly
Jan 04, 2015 Truly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this translation of the New Testament it makes it easier to go back and I now know the overall idea of what was going on in each book.
L.T. Kodzo
May 08, 2017 L.T. Kodzo rated it really liked it
It's hard for me to give The Bible only 4 stars. I've read through the NIV, NLT and NRS in my life, and this year decided to try The Message only to be disappointed with the writing. While some passages are lovely, I find it is sprinkled with too much purple prose and cliche. It sometimes distracts or even eliminates areas of scripture.
MHA Bookclub
Mar 15, 2017 MHA Bookclub marked it as spiritual  ·  review of another edition
Shelf 1
Aunt Edie
Oct 10, 2016 Aunt Edie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The audio version of The Message narrated by Kelly Ryan Dolan and Carol Nix, with an introduction by Eugene Peterson, is my favorite audio version of the Bible so far. I don't listen to the Bible for deep word studies or specific, detailed theological exploration. That sort of study requires books and colored pencils and the increasingly helpful computer search. I would never suggest that anyone own this as their only Bible. However, it is a wonderful addition to anyone's collection. The narrati ...more
Brett
Apr 20, 2010 Brett added it
Shelves: religion
I'm going to avoid giving a star rating to this volume, but it isn't what I'd recommend to people. I very much liked the Peterson translation of the Wisdom Books because of the layout of the text--the poems were spread out like poetry is supposed to be. It had room to breathe. The layout is less essential here since little of the New Testament is written as poetry.

The colloquialisms are fine with me, but the introductions to each book don't really tell us anything about the history/context/cult
Mike "Poet"
I got this book as a gift from my church friends. They all signed it after I studied the bible with them in 2007.

I was going through a few challenges in my life in 2006 and I met up with a good friend from high school. We drifted apart and weren't friends for 15 years, yet it was God's way of letting me know there are people who care. I know I am not perfect, I am just appreciative of people who help me learn to trust again and learn to be a better person.
Hilary
Feb 22, 2010 Hilary rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings. The rewording of the prose really works for me - it really makes me think about the text, and helps clarify the intent of some of the verses - but I love the familiar wording of the Psalms from the NIV. This new version just doesn't seem to flow, or have the beauty of language, that I'm used to.
Sean Jacobs
May 26, 2014 Sean Jacobs rated it really liked it
Forty years in the pulpit preaching the Word of God! Eugene Peterson has used his creative style of writing to present God's Word in easy to understand words and phrases, a fresh voice to the scriptures indeed. I read the book through and through before becoming an elder in the First Presbyterian Church.
Trish Boese
3* This version of the Bible is very unique. The plain language is easy to understand, and the message comes through loud and strong. It is paraphrased, so the verses don't exactly parallel the King James Version. I like reading this version for fresh inspiration, although it lacks the poetry of the KJV that I grew up with.
Justin Cameron
Nov 29, 2016 Justin Cameron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
So glad I finally got round to reading the New Testament - given how central it is in my faith as a Christian. Was very appreciative of the contemporary idiom in which Eugene Peterson writes. Should have read it sooner, but better late than never. Maybe one day I will read the Old Testament from start to finish as well.
MiChal
Oct 01, 2011 MiChal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-studies
Scripture: read the verses, ponder and consider them, pray them, live them. Such is lectio divina, a practice I first learned in a women's study that met every other Wednesday morning at 4:30am. A richly blessed time.
Knightgina
Sep 05, 2013 Knightgina rated it it was amazing
have used this as part of my reading through the Bible as an alternative version. There are some areas that it makes easier to follow , some of the OT Message is very hard to read through in terms of the impact that the modern working gives.
Karla Goforth Abreu
I am currently reading this, as it is divided day by day. It is a personal, down-to-earth devotional, with the author's Bible translation as the basis for the scripture. The readings assist the believer in maintaining a lifestyle of Christian relevance in today's world.
Susan
Jun 05, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good modern interpretation of the bible. More entertaining in laymans language. Good reference tool to use for comparison purposes or to help you understand more complicated verses and books of the bible.
Jimi-carol Benton
I liked the easy wording and how down to earth it is but I feel like it looses something in having such a childish tone.
Tim
Jun 09, 2011 Tim rated it it was amazing
Love it - an approachable translation.
Hope
My review is solely for this specific translation. I like some of the way that Peterson translates the NT, but in some places the contemporary language is far inferior to more poetic translations.
Mariah
This was an unexpected birthday gift from my fiance 2-16-09
(Not sure how to find the specific edition I have- it has numbered verses & includes Proverbs & Psalms)
Frans Karlsson
Sep 26, 2014 Frans Karlsson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
En bra översättning av The Message till svenska. Rekommenderas!!
  • The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament
  • Old Story New: Ten-Minute Devotions to Draw Your Family to God
  • Growing Deep in the Christian Life
  • More Than Ordinary: Enjoying Life with God
  • 40 Days without Food: Divine Goodness to a Starving Soul
  • Knowing the Truth About Jesus the Messiah (Defenders Series)
  • Invitation to the Jesus Life: Experiments in Christlikeness
  • Destined for the Throne
  • Equipping 101
  • Making Life Work
  • Teaching to Change Lives: Seven Proven Ways to Make Your Teaching Come Alive
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

“James 5:16 - The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with.” 4 likes
“GOD rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes.” 0 likes