Start by marking “Facets ” as Want to Read:
Facets

Facets

Dear Reader,
Book titles can stymie an author. Finding the right one is like hitting stride in a long-distance race: The sooner you do it, the better the run.

FACETS was FACETS from the opening shot, a natural when the book was first published in 1990 and a natural today. This is a many-sided book in several regards. Think of a gem. On one side, there is Hillary Cox, a write
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published July 3rd 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published 1990)

Lynette
Mar 11, 2009 Lynette rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately this was a book on CD; if I'd been reading it I would have skipped most of the book and read the last chapter. Definitely not worth the time. In addition I found the ending disappointing. Not one of Delinsky's better books.
Debbie
Jul 27, 2011 Debbie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I HATED this book! BORING!!!! I merely finished it because I made it past the 6th chapter, expecting it to get better, but never ever did. Not recommended!
Joshua
Jul 26, 2015 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny story: Upon first buying this book I thought it was called Faucets because of the swirly cursive font that's on my edition. What made this even more confusing was the note from the author on the back cover, explaining that the title was set from the get go. This makes a lot more sense now that I know it's actually Facets and not Faucets .

I really liked this book, and I seem to be in the minority.
This was a really well crafted and entertaining family drama, so I'm confused as to why t
Lindsay
Sep 21, 2009 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had a good premise: the gem and jewelry trade, and a family business dealing with it.

The villain, however, could have been dealt with about 25 years earlier than he was. He did all sorts of sordid and/or illegal things, and no person, even an underage person, who was worth that much money would not have her own attorney to advise her. Totally ridiculous, and it overwhelmed my suspension of disbelief.
Michelle
Apr 15, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rosa
Shelves: barbara-delinsky
Pat
Jan 03, 2015 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were too many fronts on which I had to suspend disbelief to go along with this story. To me, John St. George had no redeeming qualities; he was just an unrelentingly evil user of other people. I could not understand why an intelligent and talented woman like Hillary Cox put up with his cold treatment of her all those years, nor could I understand why Cutter Reid lived in fear for so many years waiting for the right opportunity to get back at John. Had I been the sister, Pam, there is no wa ...more
Desislava
May 29, 2011 Desislava rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant.
Leanne Hunt
May 27, 2016 Leanne Hunt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Overall, this was an entertaining read, but I have to confess that I battled to get into it. Somehow, the start of the novel felt staid and stilted, as if the author had taken over someone else's manuscript or continued work on an early manuscript of her own. The four main characters were hard to get to know and I felt no sympathy for them, even though they were all clearly struggling to cope with their life situations. At first, I thought it was because the setting was among the rich and powerf ...more
Amelia
This one is simply a delight right from the start!

The characters are well written and the story grabs you and doesn't let go till the last page. In my case, I felt a wee bit bereft after I finished this one 'coz I wanted it to go on and on.

Facets centers around four characters, one of which is the bad guy and all three are fall guys. Every character's life and story depends on the bad guy, making it a highly interesting storyline. Facets is very aptly named.

There's a writer, a jewelry designer,
Laurel-Rain
Mar 02, 2011 Laurel-Rain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the gems that make up the business that lies at the heart of this story, the facets that comprise each stone also represent the various characters who form the dynamics of this tale of hunger, ambition, power, and revenge; the story may be a familiar one, but at the same time, it unfolds in new and intriguing ways.

"Facets" portrays the secrets, the betrayals, and depicts the long and winding trail that ultimately leads to freedom. It begins in a mining town in Maine, but sweeps across the l
Bronwyn Rykiert
Jan 11, 2011 Bronwyn Rykiert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, audiobook
From a small town in Maine to Boston and New York, they shared love affairs, friendships, and betrayals... When John St. George announces his engagement on national TV, Hillary Cox threatens to bring him down in disgrace - while a three decade old family drama of power, duplicity, and money is played out to its extraordinary conclusion.

John St. George grew up with a large chip on his shoulder he had never gotten along with his father and one of the things he did to get back at him was to have an
Louise
Apr 10, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-s-fiction
Great story! Ugggh, I was so annoyed at one of the main characters, John St. George. He was an arrogant, ignorant, self-centered, hateful, pompous ass! I kept reading and reading waiting for SOMEONE to give this guy his just desserts! I was so caught up and involved in this story.

"From Boston to small-town Maine to New York, they shared love affairs, friendships, and betrayals...
HILLARY COX...A successful writer, she could not escape her obsession for one man, and all the pain and passion he of
Massanutten Regional Library
Martha, Central patron, June 2016, 4 stars:

Delinsky is one of my favorite fiction authors. This is one of her earlier books. From the blurb: "One one side, there is Hillary, a writer; on another, Pamela, a jewelry designer. On a third, there is Pamela's brother John, a mining magnate and on a fourth, Cutter Reid, once a devil-may-care tourmaline miner, now as sophisticated as John."

Each character carefully drawn & different from the others. Tension, violence, romance.
Bunny
Feb 04, 2015 Bunny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on audio CD and it kept my interest to and from work. The main villain was ruthless to the point of not being believable. But it moved around enough to keep it interesting.
Colleen
Apr 12, 2014 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.9/5* Have nasty can a brother be? A family business helps his reputation but to keep the power he does some cruel things to many people including his only sister. Some romance too.
Trudy
Jul 03, 2016 Trudy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an early Barbara Delinsky, reprinted after some of her more recent successes. It was a good story, but I prefer her current writing style.
Alicia Zick
Aug 06, 2016 Alicia Zick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was addicting and I couldn't put it down. The characters were a little cliche but overall it was an excellent read.
Priscilla
Apr 01, 2016 Priscilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the 2nd book that I have read by Barbara Delinsky. I really enjoyed it ! Nice read and hope to read more of her books
Donna
Aug 07, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy, fun summer read - vengence is always good. I always enjoy Delinsky.
Jessica
quite a soap opera plot i must say. . .
Alexandra Bogdanovic
Ugghhh. I hardly ever give up on a book, but in this case, I'd had more than enough by page 68. The writing was dense, the characters were flat and the plot was plodding. Good thing I got this for free. It was worth every penny.
Nancy
Dec 27, 2014 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to stay focused. I wanted to like it more than I did. Disappointed....
Suzanne Fernald
Jul 15, 2016 Suzanne Fernald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspensful!
Belette
Jan 17, 2016 Belette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Lu en VF
Kaye
The premise starts with a woman writing a tell all biography of her lover of 20 years, after he announces on tv his engagement to another woman. It turns out she isn't the main character instead tells the story of his mining family and their move into the jewelry store business. The love story is his younger sister and her first love. Complete characters. The villain was a little over the top. A decent snowy weekend read.
Bookish
This was an ok book - not bad, not great. The ending was tied up quite neatly, and as expected, so it wasn't really a surprising story except in one respect - that in the end, the "revenge" was not revenge at all, but more making right what had been wrong. I did appreciate that aspect, and that the characters were not compromised in a way that caused them to act in a way that was incongruous with their value system.
Shana
Dec 08, 2013 Shana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In true Delinsky fashion, I was immediately pulled into the story. I became a cheerleader for Pam. I just wanted her to succeed. The feelings Ms. Delinsky caused me to feel made me appreciate her story telling abilities.

The story is of a family who starts a family business mining gemstones. Over the years, the business grows and is succesful. There are many different sides to a family as shown in this story.
Ratforce
For dramatic and emotional stories similar to Danielle Steel, you might want to explore the books of Barbara Delinsky. There are several choices of story and theme to pick from, but you might want to give Facets a try - it includes some of the wealth and glamour that’s often found in Danielle Steel.
Natalya
Could have benefited from John, the baddie, being more human. Currently the only human thing about him is being loved by Hilary. Reminded me of Bold Eagle by Steele, keeps going on and on about same stuff, with more examples. Her later stuff is better.
Jessica
This was scandalous! It was great, but the end wasn't satisfying... which unfortunately is true life. I think I read books to get me out of the real world and lately books are all about being real. No more fairy tales? :(
Madison Mega-Mara...: #36 Facets 1 1 Jul 12, 2016 09:06AM
  • Tangled Vines
  • Up Close and Personal
  • The MacGowan Betrothal (Highland Rogues, #2)
  • The Courtship of Carol Sommars
  • Sweet Anger
  • Bleeding Through (Rachel Goddard Mystery #5)
  • Dream a Little Dream
  • A Time for Love
  • Twelve Times Blessed
  • Always and Forever
  • Lost Yesterday
  • Always True to You in My Fashion
  • The Cinderella Hour
  • Safe Harbor
  • A Baby For Emily (Silhouette Special Edition #1466)
  • Because You Are Mine
  • Rogue's Salute (Masters at Arms, #3)
  • Bygones
I was born and raised in suburban Boston. My mother’s death, when I was eight, was the defining event of a childhood that was otherwise ordinary. I took piano lessons and flute lessons. I took ballroom dancing lessons. I went to summer camp through my fifteenth year (in Maine, which explains the setting of so many of my stories), then spent my sixteenth summer learning to type and to drive (two sk ...more
More about Barbara Delinsky...