Start by marking “Facets ” as Want to Read:
Facets

Facets

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  623 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Dear Reader,
Book titles can stymie an author. Finding the right one is like hitting stride in a long-distance race: The sooner you do it, the better the run.

FACETS was FACETS from the opening shot, a natural when the book was first published in 1990 and a natural today. This is a many-sided book in several regards. Think of a gem. On one side, there is Hillary Cox, a write
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published July 3rd 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Facets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facets

Lynette
Unfortunately this was a book on CD; if I'd been reading it I would have skipped most of the book and read the last chapter. Definitely not worth the time. In addition I found the ending disappointing. Not one of Delinsky's better books.
Debbie
I HATED this book! BORING!!!! I merely finished it because I made it past the 6th chapter, expecting it to get better, but never ever did. Not recommended!
Lindsay
This book had a good premise: the gem and jewelry trade, and a family business dealing with it.

The villain, however, could have been dealt with about 25 years earlier than he was. He did all sorts of sordid and/or illegal things, and no person, even an underage person, who was worth that much money would not have her own attorney to advise her. Totally ridiculous, and it overwhelmed my suspension of disbelief.
Leanne Hunt
Overall, this was an entertaining read, but I have to confess that I battled to get into it. Somehow, the start of the novel felt staid and stilted, as if the author had taken over someone else's manuscript or continued work on an early manuscript of her own. The four main characters were hard to get to know and I felt no sympathy for them, even though they were all clearly struggling to cope with their life situations. At first, I thought it was because the setting was among the rich and powerf ...more
Desislava
Absolutely brilliant.
Amelia
This one is simply a delight right from the start!

The characters are well written and the story grabs you and doesn't let go till the last page. In my case, I felt a wee bit bereft after I finished this one 'coz I wanted it to go on and on.

Facets centers around four characters, one of which is the bad guy and all three are fall guys. Every character's life and story depends on the bad guy, making it a highly interesting storyline. Facets is very aptly named.

There's a writer, a jewelry designer,
Laurel-Rain
Like the gems that make up the business that lies at the heart of this story, the facets that comprise each stone also represent the various characters who form the dynamics of this tale of hunger, ambition, power, and revenge; the story may be a familiar one, but at the same time, it unfolds in new and intriguing ways.

"Facets" portrays the secrets, the betrayals, and depicts the long and winding trail that ultimately leads to freedom. It begins in a mining town in Maine, but sweeps across the l
Bronwyn Rykiert
From a small town in Maine to Boston and New York, they shared love affairs, friendships, and betrayals... When John St. George announces his engagement on national TV, Hillary Cox threatens to bring him down in disgrace - while a three decade old family drama of power, duplicity, and money is played out to its extraordinary conclusion.

John St. George grew up with a large chip on his shoulder he had never gotten along with his father and one of the things he did to get back at him was to have an
Louise
Great story! Ugggh, I was so annoyed at one of the main characters, John St. George. He was an arrogant, ignorant, self-centered, hateful, pompous ass! I kept reading and reading waiting for SOMEONE to give this guy his just desserts! I was so caught up and involved in this story.

"From Boston to small-town Maine to New York, they shared love affairs, friendships, and betrayals...
HILLARY COX...A successful writer, she could not escape her obsession for one man, and all the pain and passion he of
Colleen
3.9/5* Have nasty can a brother be? A family business helps his reputation but to keep the power he does some cruel things to many people including his only sister. Some romance too.
Alexandra Bogdanovic
Ugghhh. I hardly ever give up on a book, but in this case, I'd had more than enough by page 68. The writing was dense, the characters were flat and the plot was plodding. Good thing I got this for free. It was worth every penny.
Kaye
The premise starts with a woman writing a tell all biography of her lover of 20 years, after he announces on tv his engagement to another woman. It turns out she isn't the main character instead tells the story of his mining family and their move into the jewelry store business. The love story is his younger sister and her first love. Complete characters. The villain was a little over the top. A decent snowy weekend read.
This was an ok book - not bad, not great. The ending was tied up quite neatly, and as expected, so it wasn't really a surprising story except in one respect - that in the end, the "revenge" was not revenge at all, but more making right what had been wrong. I did appreciate that aspect, and that the characters were not compromised in a way that caused them to act in a way that was incongruous with their value system.
Shana
In true Delinsky fashion, I was immediately pulled into the story. I became a cheerleader for Pam. I just wanted her to succeed. The feelings Ms. Delinsky caused me to feel made me appreciate her story telling abilities.

The story is of a family who starts a family business mining gemstones. Over the years, the business grows and is succesful. There are many different sides to a family as shown in this story.
Michelle
Sep 14, 2012 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rosa
Ratforce
For dramatic and emotional stories similar to Danielle Steel, you might want to explore the books of Barbara Delinsky. There are several choices of story and theme to pick from, but you might want to give Facets a try - it includes some of the wealth and glamour that’s often found in Danielle Steel.
Natalya
Could have benefited from John, the baddie, being more human. Currently the only human thing about him is being loved by Hilary. Reminded me of Bold Eagle by Steele, keeps going on and on about same stuff, with more examples. Her later stuff is better.
Jessica
This was scandalous! It was great, but the end wasn't satisfying... which unfortunately is true life. I think I read books to get me out of the real world and lately books are all about being real. No more fairy tales? :(
Stacy
This book started out with really intriguing characters. Halfway, through, it became unbelievable. There were a few points where I thought I would stop reading. I continued on, but was not wowed by the rest of it.
Tanya
This book was a good read, not one of my favorits by this author but still good. Showed the relationship of one twisted family over the years. Its amazing how people have relationships for so long and how they evolve.
Bonnie
Wonderful read
Loved it even though when I found out it was a re-release from 1990 I was not really looking forward to it but it surprized me in that it is as good if not better than her current works
Jessica
90% great, 10% bad ending. Why ratchet up all that emotion and give you all that backstory only to end it like an Agatha Christie novel. It was John St. George in the Library.
Karen
Slow starting this one, but it picks up and turns out OK. Family owned mine and the problems with relationships through the years, mainly due to lack of honesty and integrity.
Jen
Not my favorite. i liked her other books and audio books better.

but for some reason i stuck with this one to see what would happen in the end.
Jane
I always like Delinsky's style, and this book is a bit of a soap opera but without the nauseating aspect of a soap opera. It is light reading.
Dana
Biggest waste of time and utterly pointless. I love Delinsky, but this is a failure of epic proportions.
Po
Really, really good. Multi-generational, about the diamond industry, New York, Boston. Fun read.
Lori
Nov 06, 2007 Lori rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chick-Lit
Interesting plot... learned about jewelry making. It's steamy and light, but heavy on the drama.
Tess
This book was an easy read but really good! Couldn't put it down for the last half!
  • The You I Never Knew
  • Destiny
  • Cents And Sensibility
  • Sweet Anger
  • Finders Keepers
  • Cinderella Hour
  • Game Over
  • Magnus
  • Esperanza (Hungry Ghosts, #1)
  • Tangled Vines
  • Home Fires
  • Thorns of Truth
  • When in Rome
  • Heart of Dixie
  • Not That Kind Of Girl
  • The Warrior Bride (Highland Rogues, #3)
  • Bead on a Wire: Making Handcrafted Wire and Beaded Jewelry
I was born and raised in suburban Boston. My mother’s death, when I was eight, was the defining event of a childhood that was otherwise ordinary. I took piano lessons and flute lessons. I took ballroom dancing lessons. I went to summer camp through my fifteenth year (in Maine, which explains the setting of so many of my stories), then spent my sixteenth summer learning to type and to drive (two sk ...more
More about Barbara Delinsky...
Not My Daughter While My Sister Sleeps The Secret Between Us Coast Road Family Tree