A Gentleman's Guide to Graceful Living

A Gentleman's Guide to Graceful Living

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Arthur Camden's greatest talents are for packing and unpacking suitcases, making coleslaw, and second-guessing every decision in his life. When his business fails and his wife leaves him-to pursue more aggressive men-Arthur finds that he has none of the talents and finesse that everyone else seems to possess for navigating New York society.

Arthur tries to reinvigorate his...more
Published June 30th 2008 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2008)

Aharon
Like being stuck in a small room with a poor conversationalist.
emi Bevacqua
Super fast read about a guy so pathetic it's a tribute to the literary powers of Michael Dahlie that he's able to sustain interest in a guy who's run his family's import-export business into the ground and is left by his wife of 32 years and is ridiculed by all for his ineptitude. Despite his angst and failures, Arthur lives a cushy life on Manhattan's privileged upper east side; he considers the other 10 gentlemen in his private fly fishing club to be his best friends, but then he accidentally...more
Shane
This book was highly regadred in the NY Times book review and given its linking with fly fishing I could not pass it up!

If you ever have the feeling that things in your life are off track, this book will quickly show you that it can always be worse. Though the main character has his share of bad luck the book is light, humorus (sometimes laugh out loud funny), and is in no way a dark or depressing read.
Pj
I tried, I really tried.
Larry Hoffer
Arthur Camden is a well-to-do, middle-aged New Yorker in a bit of a bind. His wife left him (after having affairs through most of their marriage) because he wasn't aggressive enough, he's run his family business into the ground and he doesn't quite know what the next step in his life should be. And bursting into tears in front of other members of the exclusive Hanover Street Fly Casters is probably not the best way to put on a brave face.

Michael Dahlie's book tells the story of a man whose life...more
Melinda Seyler
Mar 09, 2013 Melinda Seyler rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melinda by: newleaph@gmail.com
This book is the epitome of "nice". You know how you know, when someone says about someone else that they are nice, that they may well be "nice", but if that's the best someone can say, they are probably also a bit boring and not someone who will really add much to your life? That is this book to a "t". Arthur, the protagonist is very "nice" and is constantly being insulted, rejected, made fun of, taken advantage of by his "friends", relations, ex-wife, contemporaries and even people he barely...more
Jamie Barnes
Auchincloss, John O'Hara and F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote about rich northeastern WASPs living in Boston and New York. Their protagonists are most often powerful people with Harvard and Yale degrees who are used to getting their way but run into marital and professional difficulties they must either solve or come to terms with. Michael Dahlie writes about this same microcosm but his protagonist in A Gentleman's Guide to Graceful Living is a failure. He runs his business into bankruptcy and his wife...more
Meave
I read this book only because it won the 2009 PEN/Hemingway award, for which the worst book I've read in 2009 (thus far) was also a finalist. I thought, is this contest's standards so low, or did that other, terrible novel get in by mistake/because of politics/favoritism/for some other non-merit-based reason?

Having read this book, I'm going to go with: this contest has very low standards. It's a fine little book, I guess, A Gentleman's Guide, but it's not especially interesting. The plot doesn't...more
Emily
This book represents, for me, something that I would never pick up while browsing through a new release section of borders. However I picked it up after it was recommended by Julia Glass at a book reading she did in Boston. I guess it wouldnt occur to me to read something like this, because its typically male. Arthur Camden is a 60 something retired head of a failed import/exporting business. His wife just left him, and he is left a sorry sap of a charcter by page 2. But you cheer for Arthur, fo...more
Diane
The Gentleman's Guide To Graceful Living, by Michael Dahlie, was a really fun read, and an impressive debut novel.

The reader is introduced to Arthur Camden, fifty-something, who lives on the upper East side of Manhattan. Arthur is a devoted husband and father who loves fly fishing and belongs to an elite club for fly-fisherman. Suddenly, Arthur's life is full of bad breaks: his wife leaves him for another man, his business fails due to his own incompetence, he has trouble making a good impressio...more
Brian
Marian
Arthur Camden's life is a disaster. He is both a shmiel and a schamozzel. (the shmiel is the waiter who spills the soup on the schamozzel) For 270 pages of the 281 page book, you read about all the disasters in his life: his divorce; his bankruptcy of the family business, his burning down of his beloved fly-fishing lodge, his run in with the French police, his bad dates, etc. Only in about ten of the last pages does he meet a woman who gives him hope and the book ends on a positive note. I don't...more
Sonia
Arthur is not doing so well. His wife left him and his business went under. Despite his troubles, he manages to spend lots of time in Colorado with his son and his family, he travels to France and enjoys the countryside, he dates ... a lot. Little by little, Arthur figures out what it is that he wants instead of the role chosen for him. After a while, I was tired of reading how people walked all over him while he did nothing about it ... it was a relief when Arthur starting back, just a little b...more
Tim
I categorized this as "comic fiction" because it essentially is a comic novel; in fact, it's often quite hilarious, though in the painful way that watching Michael Scott on "The Office" is hilarious (i.e., cringeworthy). Arthur Camden is high WASP, a well-bred, well-mannered, wealthy NYer of the old school, right down to his membership in the Hanover Street Fly Casters club and his vacationing in Bar Harbor etc.

Funny!

Meg
This is a quick, fun read - about a reserved man who can't seem to get anything right, especially when he thinks he's getting it right. Parts of it can be annoying and even depressing as the main character screws up and fails to act or make decisions, but the ending warrants all the frustration you go through reading it.
Karen
What a pleasant surprise! The writing is just perfect, and it's funny in an understated way that is even funnier for the fact that it catches you by surprise. It's a thoughtful book, and just when you think Arthur's going to keep having one mishap after another, you (and he) realize he's really doing all right.
Beth
I LOVED this. It reminded me for some reason of Netherland. It's also part of my beloved loser lit genre, where the main character keeps making mistakes but is nonetheless totally endearing. This may be my favorite fiction book of the year (although I'm not sure that it has very wide appeal).
Becky
This book was pretty good and won some awards and stuff, but oh my god the main character is just SUCH a sad sack that I couldn't appreciate it at all. Instead of sympathizing with his rich white guy problems I basically just wanted to slap him across the face. Then again, maybe that was the point?
Steve Daggett
Entertaining. Excruciating. Kind of like watching leave it to beaver and just being immensely embarrassed by some of the crazy things the characters are doing.
Lea
If Arthur did nothing but sit naked in his living room all day drinking vodka and eating potato chips (perhaps while scattering his toenail clippings across the floor), absolutely no one in the world would object.
Denise
Kind of cute. Arthur is such a hapless guy. Pretty much a nerd that isn't sure how he is ever supposed to act in any situation. It's a quick, funny read if you can stand not being able to shake the main character.
Michele Ponte
è stato faticoso seguire le pippe mentali del vecchio e ricco protagonista, ma ammetto di aver gioito e tirato un sospiro di sollievo quando a qualche pagina dalla fine ha preso la vita di petto.
Akeiisa
The author abuses his main character a bit too much and it was a struggle to complete this read about a man who mostly lets life happen to him and refuses to stand up and fight for himself.
Elisabeth
A man whose only strength seems to be his overwhelming niceness and humility, deals with life in Manhattan following failure of his family business, marriage, and social structure.
David Simmons
a good read, there are times when I feel my life is tracking a little to close to Arthur's. Larry David from Curb Your Enthusiasm would be the perfect Arthur in the movie version.
Nick
Seems somewhat cliche: Man loses wife, man loses job, man goes through a midlife crisis, man meets woman, things begin to turnaround for man. There were some funny parts, however.
Pgricchi

If you like a book that has a hero you want to throttle...this is for you.
Nina Vandewater
Aug 02, 2011 Nina Vandewater marked it as to-read
I'm putting it on my "want to read" list because Richard Russo listed it as one of his 5 books to read on Amazon on the "That Old Cape Magic" review page.
Patricia
A nice, quick read. I really liked the main character a lot-he was quirky and sweet. There was a lot of subtle, dry humor in this book which I like a lot.
Lorna
Jun 08, 2013 Lorna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
The main character, Arthur, would drive you crazy in real life but he was somehow endearing. I enjoyed him and the book. Both sort of aimless and sweet.
The Best of Youth Gym Rats: True Stories about Punching, Pedaling, and Powerlifting Trascurabili contrattempi di un giovane scrittore in cerca di gloria The Insurrectionist