Start by marking “Intimate Relationships” as Want to Read:
Intimate Relationships

Intimate Relationships

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Intimate Relationships,3rd editon,by Sharon S. Brehm,Rowland S. Miller,Daniel Perlman,and Susan Campbell preserves the personal appeal of the subject matter and vigorous standards of scholarship that made the earlier editions so successful. Written in a unified voice,this text builds on the reader-friendly tone that was established in the first two editions. It presents th ...more
Published July 1st 1991 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published December 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Intimate Relationships, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intimate Relationships

Melodie
Read this for a course on Interpersonal Relations. I find the topics discussed here to be very insightful and that I will definitely benefit from its material in my future relationships. I read a lot of romance novels and its good to have something scientific to put things into perspective. I will be forever thankful that I read this book. The most valuable lesson I took from it is that to maintain a relationship, both partners have to contribute, to establish good communications, to constantly ...more
Rae
Mar 29, 2013 Rae added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
For a required text book, I didn't find this one particularly painful to read. The content was interesting and the writing wasn't bad either. I suppose it helps that the course was interesting, too, but if you're looking to learn more about the ways people relate with one another, this is a useful book!
zltg
Very informative and scholarly on a descriptive level. The 70-page long bibliography is formidable! But the lack of normative analysis is somewhat frustrating. In spite of this, it's a great book and by all means, everybody should read this before they engage in any intimate relationships.
Glencora
This is a great book for people who have trouble sustaining intimate relationships but for is rather intuitive for those who are old hats at intimate negotiation. It is not quite as analytical as I would prefer for a school text book but it is very approachable.
Ashley
I don't normally add text books to these types of things but this one I will actually use outside of school. If you're in a relationship, there is a ton of advise on how to communicate, understand each other, and deal with conflict appropriatly.
Violet
I started reading this for my Interpersonal Relationships psychology class but finished it on my own. I highly enjoyed this book, learned many new things, and would recommend it to anyone interested in learning about relationships.
Allegra
May 16, 2013 Allegra rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
Recommended to Allegra by: Required Text for a family studies course
This was an amazing book! I will keep and refer to it for years!
Alyssa
Awesome textbook, applies to life on a personal level.
Tricia McKean
Loved this book in my psychology of love class.
Haytham Badawey
In my opinion, this book is the most useful book on the field. The book discusses every aspect of intimate relationships. It gives you a good insight on: how to evaluate the relationship, how to evaluate your partner and how your partner evaluates you. It also discusses gender differences, and what men and women like and dislike. The book covers sources of distress in relationships and methods to enhance your relationship.

In brief, this book summarizes everything you need to know about intimate
Rs
I really liked the interesting studies in this book. Who knew you could discover whether someone was attractive by their smell or that short men can get just as many hits on a dating website as tall men; they just have to make $100,000 more. I read my friend's textbook because I just like statistics. It's not really a "how to get a relationship" book; it's more of a "how people work" book. And people are fascinating, if somewhat illogical according to these studies.
Hana Bilqisthi
bukunya seru :D dan banyak banget ilmu baru yang didapet.. ini buku wajib pegangan pas mata kuliah hubungan interpersonal :D mengingat gue pengen jadi marriage counselour :D walaupun beberapa gue ngga setuju sama isinya :D
agak kurang suka sama covernya.. kesannya ceweknya yang agresif mulai duluan... (walaupun gue setuju cewek mulai duluan tapi somehow ngeliat itu jadi cover, agak gimana gitu.. kayaknya sikap gue masih plin plan nih ) ^^v heheh
Tiffany
This is another book that I was required to read for my FAS Human Relations class. Very interesting! Due to personal religious beliefs, I naturally sift through certain types of information, but for the most part, this book was fascinating. I love to learn about how relationships work, why they fail, and all the different aspects that people encounter as they strive to develop and maintain different relationships in their lives.
Heather
This was a text book for a class my friend was taking. I borrowed after flipping through it one day (when finished the class) because it seemed quite interesting. And it was. While it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, it was fun to take the little surveys or to see people I know (as well as myself) reflected in the pages.
Celeste
I didn't necessarily agree with the authors take on the information in this text. However, I found each page as fascinating as the last! This is one of the few academic books I would describe as a page turner! It is filled with interesting research studies, details, and suppositions! A must read for any person doing couples therapy!
Bev
Oct 14, 2011 Bev rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Psychology Majors/Minors
I am currently reading the 5th edition and must say that I am quite impressed! I think the book is very intriguing and I am pleased how well it keeps my interest. I have to read this book for psychology class on really short notice and really am very pleased. Not a fan of boring college books, thank you!
Mo
One of the better textbooks out there -- definitely did not put me to sleep and engaged me in the content, which, I suppose is interesting in itself.
Kimberly
If you only ever read one book, this one is the one you should choose.
Michael Coney
Michael Coney marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Resti Laily Nadliroh
Resti Laily Nadliroh is currently reading it
May 22, 2015
Sabrinad
Sabrinad marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Felicia Banks
Felicia Banks is currently reading it
May 03, 2015
Brian Connelly
Brian Connelly marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Arianna
Arianna marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Human Sexuality in a World of Diversity
  • Social Psychology
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach (with CD-ROM and InfoTrac®)
  • Development Through the Lifespan (MyDevelopmentLab Series)
  • Reaching Up for Manhood: Transforming the Lives of Boys in America
  • Key to Yourself: Opening the Door to a Joyful Life from Within
  • Colonial Latin America
  • Secret Societies Handbook
  • Our Dreaming Mind
  • Chocolate for a Woman's Soul: 77 Stories to Feed Your Spirit and Warm Your Heart
  • Martha Inc.: The Incredible Story of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia
Social Psychology Social Psychology Six Month Web C T, Fifth Edition Psychological Reactance: A Theory Of Freedom And Control Study Guide for Social Psychology Social Psychology Critical Thinker Reader, Fifth Edition

“In particular, husbands and wives who do poorly at nonverbal communication tend to be dissatisfied with their marriages. Moreover, when such problems occur, it's usually the husband's fault .

In the first ingenious study of this sort, Patricia Noller (1980) found that
husbands in unhappy marriages sent more confusing messages and made more decoding errors than happy husbands did. There were no such differences among the wives, so the poorer communication Noller observed in the distressed marriages appeared to be the husbands' fault. Men in troubled marriages were misinterpreting communications from their wives that were clearly legible to total strangers.

Even worse, such husbands were completely clueless about their mistakes; they assumed that they were doing a fine job communicating with their wives, and were confident that they understood their wives and that their wives understood them. The men were doing a poor job communicating and didn't know it, and that's why they seemed to be at fault.”
3 likes
“Moreover, in conversations with women, men do most of the talking (Haas,
1979), and despite hackneyed stereotypes about women being more talkative
than men, we're apparently used to this pattern. When people listen to record-
ings of conversations, they think it's more disrespectful and assertive for a
woman to interrupt a m~ than vice versa (Lafrance, 1992).”
1 likes