Start by marking “Infinite in All Directions” as Want to Read:
Infinite in All Directions

Infinite in All Directions

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Infinite in All Directions is a popularized science at its best. In Dyson's view, science and religion are two windows through which we can look out at the world around us.

The book is a revised version of a series of the Gifford Lectures under the title "In Praise of Diversity" given at Aberdeen, Scotland. They allowed Dyson the license to express everything in the unive
Published August 3rd 2004 by Harper Perennial (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Infinite in All Directions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infinite in All Directions

John
I checked out a hardback edition of this book from the library at the same time I checked out Dyson's Disturbing the Universe. After I had begun Infinite in All Directions, I was one day looking over the books in my library and, to my great surprise, saw this paperback edition of Infinite in All Directions tucked between Brown's Foundations of Modern Physics and Kleinberg and Argersinger's Inorganic Chemistry, two textbooks from my days at BYU. I can't recall for the life of me when or why I pur ...more
Erik Graff
Apr 21, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dyson fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sciences
Having much of Freeman Dyson in old copies of The New York Review of Books and knowing him to be an engaging writer, I snapped this up upon finding it in a local bookstore.

Contained are a series of lectures delivered in 1985 on a variety of topics. Since the lecture series was ostensibly about natural theology, Dyson makes efforts to address philosophical and theological themes such as eschatology, freedom of the will, ethics, and the origins and purposes of life and consciousness.

The position t
Moshe Zioni
Dyson is amongst the few who not only walked side by side with giants, he is considered one of them - his theories about the universe are well structured usually, his interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, for example, is one of the few that is not mainstream but isn't defunct by the community.
Anyhow, Dyson is a great lecturer and knows how to deliver his message very well - a thing that made this book very good and solid, but I got the feeling that he is a bit pretentious while considering big is
Keith
The book is a bit dated as the man reflects upon faith versus science in 1987. He believes in technology and that we will be served by it without conflict with religious beliefs. He tries predicting some trends in 1987 which is interesting reading for today. He isn't bad, but he doesn't come close the cell phone/computer that we have in our hands today and how it impacts all of our society.

The book is an interesting read, but I wouldn't recommend it as it really doesn't have much current value o
Jim
Very interesting global perspective on science and its role in changing eras. Covers the micro to the macro and is lucid to even non-scientists like myself. Closest comparison would be to Hawking's books but less technical with a Sagan-like emphasis placed on teaching complex concepts to the masses. Even beyond the science, it's interesting as an abstract biographical account of how brilliant and pervasive Dyson's mind truly is.
Vallari Talapatra
This is a must ad for physics fans, amateur and pros. The simplicity of language makes it a easier read than Green or Hawkins. The lucid way of stringing the macro to the micro has stayed with me over two decades, which is when I had read the book. It is one that I have chosen to reread because every time you are gripped in Dyson's artful way of depicting science.
Ira Brodsky
Freeman Dyson is an independent thinker at a time when, suprisingly, many scientists are slaves to the science establishment's orthodoxy. However, he doesn't just take contrarian positions--he shows why there is more to most issues than first meets the eye and the importance of not letting preconceptions get in the way of innovative solutions.
Lisa
Still reading this. It's nice. He's brilliant, and being so, writes about everything. But, as he says, writes about both scientific and human problems "from the point of view of a lover of diversity." Along for the ride.
Alec Myres
Goes far beyond "just" physics. This is a great read for those of us who look for the best science has to offer humanity, and when it comes to giving meaning to science, Dyson is one of the best.
Michael
Freeman Dyson's presents a series of profound ideas that ground the reader in a reality few know exists... One of my favorites.
Ryan
Started off wonderfully, strayed from the path, came back together at the end.
BakuDreamer
Part two somewhat dated as Soviets collapsed the next year after publication
albin james
There's Chloe who drowned
Sharat
Sharat marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Tauqir Ahmed
Tauqir Ahmed marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Renvox
Renvox marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
John Paul
John Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Niklaus Kirschner
Niklaus Kirschner marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Nimish
Nimish marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Jakub Tywoniuk
Jakub Tywoniuk marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Nate
Nate marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Suvil Sipani
Suvil Sipani marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Sean Downey
Sean Downey marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Nicholas Aquilina
Nicholas Aquilina marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Kristal
Kristal marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Ray Baxter
Ray Baxter marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Tom Schneitter
Tom Schneitter marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • Deep Simplicity: Bringing Order to Chaos and Complexity
  • In Search of Nature
  • Sex, Drugs and DNA: Science's Taboos Confronted
  • The Fallacy of Fine-Tuning: Why the Universe Is Not Designed for Us
  • The Edge of Physics: A Journey to Earth's Extremes to Unlock the Secrets of the Universe
  • Endless Universe: Beyond the Big Bang
  • The View from the Center of the Universe: Discovering Our Extraordinary Place in the Cosmos
  • A Different Universe: Reinventing Physics from the Bottom Down
  • The Age of Intelligent Machines
  • Thirty Years that Shook Physics: The Story of Quantum Theory
  • Into the Cool: Energy Flow, Thermodynamics, and Life
Disturbing the Universe The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2010 The Scientist as Rebel The Sun, the Genome and the Internet: Tools of Scientific Revolutions Imagined Worlds

“We must be careful not to discourage our twelve-year-olds by making them waste the best years of their lives preparing for examinations.” 52 likes
“The technologies which have had the most profound effects on human life are usually simple. A good example of a simple technology with profound historical consequences is hay. Nobody knows who invented hay, the idea of cutting grass in the autumn and storing it in large enough quantities to keep horses and cows alive through the winter. All we know is that the technology of hay was unknown to the Roman Empire but was known to every village of medieval Europe. Like many other crucially important technologies, hay emerged anonymously during the so-called Dark Ages. According to the Hay Theory of History, the invention of hay was the decisive event which moved the center of gravity of urban civilization from the Mediterranean basin to Northern and Western Europe. The Roman Empire did not need hay because in a Mediterranean climate the grass grows well enough in winter for animals to graze. North of the Alps, great cities dependent on horses and oxen for motive power could not exist without hay. So it was hay that allowed populations to grow and civilizations to flourish among the forests of Northern Europe. Hay moved the greatness of Rome to Paris and London, and later to Berlin and Moscow and New York.” 16 likes