Start by marking “Let's Cook Japanese Food!: Everyday Recipes for Home Cooking” as Want to Read:
Let's Cook Japanese Food!: Everyday Recipes for Home Cooking

Let's Cook Japanese Food!: Everyday Recipes for Home Cooking

"Yum!" thought Amy Kaneko when she tasted the Japanese home cooking she'd married into. Even better, turned out it uses easy-to-find ingredients, and she couldn't believe how simple the techniques are for food this delicious. This terrific cookbook showcases 70 of Amy's favorite recipes, includingTonkatsu (crispy pork cutlets in a tangy sauce) and Onigiri (cute little rice ...more
Published March 8th 2007 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Let's Cook Japanese Food!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Cook Japanese Food!

Jennifer Ockner
Jul 15, 2011 Jennifer Ockner rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking-related
I identify so much with Kaneko's experiences as an expat in Japan. Her anecdotes remind me a lot of my own experiences with my homestay family in Osaka. Her portrayal of everyday Japanese food is spot-on for me - omu-raisu, hamburg, cream stew (yeah, really!). The only gripe I have is that some recipe directions are vague, but if you are an experienced cook, they're largely sufficient. This book is perfect for expat cooks who are homesick for "real" Japanese food.
Mar 25, 2009 Kat rated it really liked it
Great cookbook for people who love to eat Japanese food but are a bit intimidated by how complicated it seems to prepare it. I've been making simple Japanese dishes for years, but I wanted to add more than just onigiri, sushi and udon into the mix. Amy Kaneko's book provides a good variety of dishes that are not that difficult to prepare and are sure to whet your family's appetite. Even the most finicky of eaters will find some of Amy's recipes tasty.

This book features a glossary to help you und
Nov 25, 2013 Cara rated it really liked it
Love it! So nostalgic. Let's Cook Japanese Food! has quite a bit of Japanese home-style recipes, just what I've been looking for. The recipes are easy to follow. The beginning has an "Ingredients and Equipment" section, which actually seems pretty helpful for a broad spectrum of people with varying degrees of familiarity of Japanese ingredients. This section shows how to achieve an authentic Japanese home-style flavor using ingredients found at your local market, which is super handy if you don' ...more
Jul 05, 2009 Mbarkle rated it it was amazing
After reading Bento Box in the Heartland, I wanted to try some Japanese cooking. I made the onigiri from that book, and found this Japanese cookbook while browsing the book shop. It has a lot of different recipes, all the type of thing home cooks really make in Japan. I just tried the recipe for Okaasan no Potato Sarada (My MIL's Potato Salad). It is fabulous. I love the idea that there are Japanese adaptations of food from other countries, who knew?

I'll try a few more things, including her ins
Jan 19, 2016 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, foodie-books, japan
There are many dishes I miss from Japan. and would like to learn to make. I've searched for easy to follow recipes and had no luck. This is the first cookbook I've found that teaches how to cook real everyday Japanese food. Written by an American who married a Japanese man it explains things in an easy to follow way. I liked that she includes substituion ideas in case you can't find an exotic ingredient. There are lots of color pictures and a guide to ingredients that you could use at the superm ...more
Dec 18, 2011 Kasia rated it really liked it
I love Japanese cuisine in general, and this book is really special as it goes beyond well-known sushi and sashimi to recipes for everyday, filing food. I use it all the time to make easy dinners like beef with onions or chicken and egg on rice. Most Japanese cookbooks that I've seen focus on fancy sushi to make for cocktail parties, but this one really lets you incorporate Japanese cooking into your everyday life.
Nov 26, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this cookbook b/c it is how to cook homestyle Japanese food, and it's from the perspective of a non-Japanese woman who married into a Japanese family and had to learn how to cook things for her husband. I'm really looking forward to cooking things from here when I have more money to spend on food, as her recipes are simple and straightforward.
Aug 05, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
I just browsed through and the recipes look fairly easy, don't have too many weird ingredients, and look like the sort of thing people probably make for dinner at home in Japan (I recognize several dishes--rolled sweet eggs, curry--not from "Japanese" restaurants but from reading manga).
They have the breaded pork cutlets my husband loves--I'll definitely have to try that recipe!
Dec 08, 2011 Carolanne rated it it was amazing
This book is great for beginners. The recipes are pretty easy & the ingredients are pretty basic. I'm lucky enough to live near a Japanese market, so I just got the basic ingredients the author lists and started my journey to making Japanese food! The pictures are visually appealing--a bonus. ;) I definitely recommend this book.
Mar 16, 2008 Sumi rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking-japanese
Cooking as done in a regular Japanese household.

The author of the cookbook married a Japanese man and spent several years living in Japan where she was taught how to cook by her mother-in-law. The book is not just recipes, but is interspersed with stories about the recipes and about Japanese foods in general, making it a much more interesting read.
Mar 22, 2008 Andrienne rated it really liked it
Easy-to-prepare. The recipes in this book can be incorporated in everyday meals, granted you have access to a Japanese market that carries the hard-to-find ingredients. Definitely healthy stuff, but I'd switch the canola oil to pure coconut oil (non-flavored) to reap the most benefits.
Jan 28, 2011 CLM marked it as to-read
Shelves: cooking
I am not absolutely convinced I would like Japanese food but my friend Amy wrote this so I definitely want to try something...
Mae rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2015
Sarah Hehn
Sarah Hehn rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
georgia rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2011
brooke jambor
brooke jambor rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Heather rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2007
Jeni H
Jeni H rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Christie rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2008
Tania rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Abinanaaa rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Susan rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Tina Jones
Tina Jones rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2013
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2012
E rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Kiersten rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2011
Ainsley rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Monica Albright
Monica Albright rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2011
Dixi rated it liked it
May 19, 2009
Cat rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2010