Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, Book 5)

Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order #5)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  3,588 ratings  ·  44 reviews
A string of smashing victories by the forces of the sinister aliens known as the Yuuzhan Vong has left New Republic resources and morale stretched to the breaking point. Leia Organa Solo, estranged from her husband, Han, oversees the evacuation of refugees on planets in the path of the merciless invaders. Luke Skywalker struggles to hold the fractious Jedi Knights together...more
Mass Market Paperback, 348 pages
Published March 29th 2005 by LucasBooks (first published October 2000)

Crystal Starr Light
Is this what being ADHD means?

Han Solo and Droma continue their quest to find his family amidst a billion other plots including, but not limited to: Droma's refugee family, the Yuuzhan Vong politicking with the Hutts, Viqi Shesh being a duplicitous politican (but what politician not with the last name "Solo" or "Organa" isn't?), Leia rubbing elbows with the Hapans, and the Solo boys going to Centerpoint to do absolutely nothing.

NOTE: Based on audiobook and novel.

I'm sorry if my summary sounds ra...more
Mark
I remember at the end of this book being left realizing that the NJO was going to be prolonged for as long as they wanted to with pointless setbacks. Homies had to make that dolla, I guess. And I don't get to judge since I gave it to them.

But seriously, there are a small number of points in the NJO where the New Republic or an allied force suffers some senseless loss just to keep the war going and not for any narrative purpose other than that. The Battle of Fondor from the end of this particular...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
With the New Jedi Order series being one that comprises about 20 books, I guess I can't be too surprised when I hit a slump or two. Jedi Eclipse wraps up the Agents of Chaos story, and while I liked it better than Hero's Trial, I can't say I really enjoyed these two books. Many of the subplots were too dry, and the one involving the Ryn felt more like a gimmick than something actually meant to draw you in. At times I really felt like I had to force myself to finish the novel.

I would have given u...more
Jesse
The new Jedi order completely outpaces anything in the Starwars genre. This series was Dark, exciting, fast paced, and inspired. The writing was fantastic and the level of philosophy and force history was unparalleled. If your a fan at any level of the Starwars Universe than this series is a must read. It is on my top 5 of all time for a series and I treasured every moment I spent in that time. But beware, this isn't your typical Starwars book, be ready for a level of intensity that you've never...more
Chazzbot
This is less of a novel--you know, those books that tell complete self-contained stories--and more of a series of plot complications that ensure that many more book contracts in this series can be fulfilled. Of course, most people could probably figure that out on their own, and one of the primary appeals for fans of this franchise (I assume) is to keep reading about the adventures of their heroes in perpetuity. But Luceno's plot complications are not all that diverting. By the time we get to th...more
Andrew
This novel was more enjoyable than Hero's Trial (Agents of Chaos, #1), mainly because the Yuuzhan Vong plan wasn't described to the reader at the beginning of the book. You know that they are planning a major attack, but the details are open. You also don't know how their interactions with the Hutts will affect things.

Han and his new "temporary" co-pilot Droma are looking for Droma's Ryn family, and Leia through her relief work locates them. The Solo/Droma team go exploring and expose some plots...more
DC
Well... I recently decided to continue my re-journey through the NJO. I polished off Hero's Trial not too long ago, and am a good bit into Jedi Eclipse. I remember being bored to tears by these two volumes when I first read them, but they hold up better than I was expecting. I'm not thrilled with them or anything, but they are passing more quickly and enjoyably than the first time around.
I think both novels - especially the 2nd - try to accomplish too much. There are too many plot lines, and as...more
Daniel
As I expected, the second part of Luceno's duology, "Agents of Chaos" (a subseries of New Jedi Order), turned out much better than the first. At one point, I turned to my wife and said, "This is the best book in the series so far."

Well, it isn't the best. It's quite good, though!

We spent a lot less time on random characters I've never heard of nor care about (*cough*Showolter*cough*), and a lot more time on some that are better established in the expanded universe. The main character is still Ha...more
Josh
First of all, let me say "Woah head, stop spinning." After I finished this book, I needed a few moments to reorient myself and figure out what the hell I had just read. Sadly, this wasn't an outburst of appreciation for the book, but rather near-head-exploding confusion. (I possibly should have also read this more slowly.) It was a difficult read without having to go back and reread certain sections. I won't list the entire plot here, but as a quick summary:

The New Republic organizations (Defen...more
John K
Great addition to the New Jedi Order series. Actually, the initial enthusiasm after reading Vector Prime wore off after I read the next two books of the series (Dark Tide I & II), but not because they were not good. It's just that I was thinking of the total of 19 books and it seemed to me that it is pointless to write so many books about the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, I mean... what can possibly happen?

After finishing the two Agents Of Chaos books though (A Hero's Trial and Jedi Eclipse), I ha...more
Nima Foladi
I liked this book more than the previous book(4)in the series. It had more action and surprise elements than the previous book, and like the previous book the main focus is on Han and he's new buddy Droma. Something that fascinated me was the Droma's species the Ryn. They are a nomadic Gypsy like species that travel through the stars. Much like Gypsies they are mostly unwanted where ever they go, and they have to rely on their skills as singing, dancing and fortunetelling to put food on their ta...more
Blackraven
Die Neue Republik hat keine gute Moral.
Die Yuuzhan Vong versuchen die Neue Republik zu schwächen.Sie wollen den Krieg gewinnen. Botschafterin Leia versucht Flüchtlinge zu retten. Einge der Herrscher wollen den Krieg nicht und sich nicht daran beteiligen. Sie versucht sie umzustimmen und die Truppen zu vereinen.
Luke hat seine eigenen Probleme mit den Jedi. Sie wollen nicht zusammenbleiben und fallen auseinander. Die Jedi versuchen den Yuuzhan Vong Hinweise über die nächste Ziele zu entlocken.
Bis...more
Blackraven
The New Republic has no good moral.
The Yuuzhang Vong are trying to weak the New Republic. They are trying win against the New Republic. They want to win this war. Ambassador Leia is trying to save the refugees. Some of the world's leader doesn't want the war and they don't want to join in. She's trying to change their minds to unite the troops.
Luke has his own problems with the Jedi. They don't want to stick together and they're fallen apart. The Jedi want some information about the next targets...more
Cian Beirdd
I think Luceno knew he had a good thing going and tried to make it better. The fact is that the subplots overwhelm the main plot and the main plot is less well done here. That is a shame, too, because I finished 'Hero's Trial' excited about what would happen next.
Max
Mar 08, 2012 Max rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
Jim C
A novel that takes place in the EU universe during the New Jedi Order series. Out of the whole series, this book so far is the worst one. I was going to give this only one star but the last 50 pages bumped it up to two stars. Until the conclusion, this book's plot was about military strategy and trying to implement them. It was boring and did not feel like Star Wars. Finally, when the action starts it had the feel of Star Wars. If you plan on reading the whole series this is a must read because...more
Toby Andersen
not the best of the series so far. There is way to much set up - pretty much the first 250 pages is the set up for a 50 page split battle on lots of fronts - the battle is pretty cool - but the book suffers from that beginning. Saying that the story is interesting, threads are wound up nicely, story arcs continue and the stage is et for the next book. There are many space battles and Luceno has much better description in this than in the first of the duo. Exciting, readable but just not the best...more
Yves
Han Solo s'est fait un nouveau compagnon lors du tome précédent. Il se nomme Droma et il est à la recherche de sa famille. Han part avec lui à la recherche de ceux-ci. De son côté, Leia essaie de trouver un endroit pour mettre en sécurité les réfugiés que peu de planète ne veut car les Yuuzan Vong les attaquent systématiquement.

Ce qui est bien de ce livre c'est de voir Han Solo reprendre du poil de la bête et s'impliquer de plus en plus dans le conflit pour aider son nouvel ami.
Morelos Barros
So far this has been the only New Jedi Order book. What the hell happened? The previous book was a blast!

It was so boring that it took me quite a long time to finish.

Most of this book was full of long descriptions and useless moments. Like if Luceno was trying to fill pages.

I liked the last few chapters, though. That's when the story really gets moving and little seeds of conflict are planted that will sprout on next novels. I hope.

Anyway, read this one if you are a fan.
William
A new storyline involving the same characters from the last novel in the NJO series seemed like the right thing to do. However, it didn't work. James Luceno spent far too much time worried about the Droma storyline and the long winded Hutt-Vong negociations slowed the real action down; the Hapan involvement and the Centrepoint Station rearmament. I guess it would be unrealistic of me to think there would be no stinkers in a 19 story arc like NJO. This is one of them.
Jimmacc
The entire Vong series is excellent.
Ryan
I think I'm getting ready to give up on the whole "Star Wars Expanded Universe" thing. It really seems like they're trying to stretch the story out as far as they possibly can, and deal with minutiae rather than fleshing out the main storyline and then resolving it in an interesting manner. When I see a story title like "New Jedi Order", I expect to see Jedi ordering shit around, not the adventures of Han Solo and the Space Gypsies!
Maria
Ok book, ugh for the NJO. The situation just gets worse...and worse...and worse...and just when you thought maybe the heroes you'd followed through 20 years of galactic threats might actually have a winning idea, or you know, at least prevent the annihilation of ANOTHER planet...nope. Omnipotent enemy's no fun.

I keep worrying we're gonna run out of planets and fleets and Jedi before the series ends.
Dan
it's a continuation of the story of han's contribution to the war effort and his rebound fromn the loss of chewbacca, thru droma, a ryn.

the yuuzhan vong is continually gaining ground in the new republic and i find the dilemma of choosing which worlds to sacrifice very absorbing, which is also a mirror to real life situations.

a must for all star wars fans.
Ren the Unclean
Aug 19, 2007 Ren the Unclean rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
Shelves: sci-fi
This is just a continuation of the previous book. It is just as well written and the character development of Han and Droma continue with the same quality.

This book sort of shows a broader view of things than the previous one, as it focuses more on the doings of the New Republic, rather than mainly on Han.
Chris
Nothing much to say about this one really. A fairly by-the-numbers followup to the first part of this little duology.

Spoilers:

-Sad about the Hapans, since I've always kinda liked them.
-Droma's happy ending is fine, but I hope the character comes back eventually (though I kinda doubt it).
Aric
Worst book in the series so far. This bool lacked suspense, originality, and some of the characters that i had come to really enjoy in the previous books in the series. Focus on the brooding very un han-like han solo, the book hardly touched on the Solo teen jedi's whom i had become so fond of.
Erin
It was all right. There were lots of exciting parts. But things just keep getting worse and worse for the Jedi and the New Republic, and it's just not much fun when the good guys never win. Dire straits, sure, that's exciting, but they just get demolished over and over again.
Ross
This book was surprisingly good for having introduced a few new characters as well as having hardly anything about the Jedi. Han Solo is certainly a worthy character to have a book about if the Jedi are hardly going to be mentioned. Rehashing the Centerpoint plot, pure genius.
  • Remnant (Force Heretic, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #15)
  • Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • Onslaught (Dark Tide, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #2)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • Recovery (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6.5)
James Luceno co-wrote a lot of books with Brian Daley as Jack McKinney.

He is a New York Times Best-Selling author currently living in Annapolis, Maryland with his wife and youngest child.
More about James Luceno...
The Unifying Force (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #19) Darth Plagueis (Star Wars) Hero's Trial (Agents of Chaos, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4) The Rise of Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Dark Lord Trilogy, #3) Labyrinth of Evil (Star Wars: The Dark Lord Trilogy, #1)

“Even friends can't be protected from fate, Han."
-Droma”
5 likes
“If someone is aiming a blaster at your ally, do you raise your ligthsaber to prevent it, or do you do nothing because a Jedi isn’t supposed to take aggressive action? I mean, where’s the line, Jacen? We’re in a war for survival , and defense sometimes means having to eliminate the opposition.”
-Anakin Solo”