Start by marking “Edge of Victory II: Rebirth (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #8; Edge of Victory, #2)” as Want to Read:

Edge of Victory II: Rebirth (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order #8)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  4,833 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The Star Wars epic continues its space odyssey in the New Jedi Order - as Luke and Mara, Leia and Han and others battle the mighty enemy from beyond the galactic rim.
Published August 1st 2001 by Arrow/Children's (a Division of Random House Group)

To ask other readers questions about Edge of Victory II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edge of Victory II

Belinda
Sep 18, 2010 Belinda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nerds!
Recommended to Belinda by: Nerds!
This is going to out my absolute nerdiness, but...

The New Jedi Order (so far) is my least favourite series of Star Wars EU books mostly because they crap all over what some good authors took the time to build. They've killed Chewbacca, shoved a giant wedge between Han and Leia and twisted Luke, and Han and Leia's three kids into pale imitations of themselves. That said, there were things I enjoyed about this book and things I didn't.

As always, I shook my fist and thought, "WHY YUUHZAN VONG?", b
Jesse
The new Jedi order completely outpaces anything in the Starwars genre. This series was Dark, exciting, fast paced, and inspired. The writing was fantastic and the level of philosophy and force history was unparalleled. If your a fan at any level of the Starwars Universe than this series is a must read. It is on my top 5 of all time for a series and I treasured every moment I spent in that time. But beware, this isn't your typical Starwars book, be ready for a level of intensity that you've never ...more
Bernard
LOVED IT. This is the book they could be making Star Wars VII about. Keyes really GETS his Star Wars. It's the main crew united (at least in one book) at last. Luke & Mara. Han, Leia, Jacen and Threepio. Jaina and Rogue Squadron (and Wedge!). Anakin and Tahiri and Corran Horn. It is as if Keyes took the best of the new and original characters and mashed them all into one plausible intersecting storyline web, smack dab in the middle of the Vong invasion of the galaxy. And it works. There's yo ...more
David Fish
Greg Keyes, in my humble opinion, captures the heart and soul of the NJO characters as well or better than any other author in the series. In particular, Greg does a great job of reviving Tahiri Veila, who was a character basically left to die since Junior Jedi Knights. All of the story arcs in EoV II fit together perfectly (Nen Yim, Jacen and Han, Anakin and Tahiri) although the strongest arc by far is the relationship between Anakin and Tahiri. Greg brings their relationship to life with suc ...more
Jim C
My rating is 3.5 stars. This novel continues the story in the New Jedi Order and of the Vong attacking the galaxy. In this book, there are several storylines that the author juggled nicely. It contained storylines with all members of the Solo and Skywalker families.

The pace is constantly moving because of all the storylines. The author also gives us a more in depth look at the Vong which I think was needed in the overall arc. As of the overall arc, this book doesn't do much to move that along. I
Cian Beirdd
I read this book and I realized the author does have a limitation; he is great with plot and characters, but this story had to many for him to juggle. Not that I consider this a flawed book. Starting with one character in the first novel this one expands to really get every one involved. But it's too much. He does continue moving the series forward without trouble though. Now that chinks have been seen by the reader, the author uses this book to begin bringing the main cast together. The author ...more
Sean Neprud
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is one of the most enjoyable of the New Jedi Order so far.

I liked that this book included all of the Skywalker and Solo clan, and threw Tahiri, Corran Horn, Talon Karrde, and Rogue Squadron in there, just to add some spice to the mix. The characters get split into multiple groups, and even though none of the events that any group goes through has major ramifications to the overall war against the Yuuzhan Vong, each of their stories was compelling.

We also get a
Crystal Starr Light
"Part of being a Jedi is setting an example"

A lot is happening in this book. Luke and Mara are forced to flee Coruscant; Jaina is on the hunt for Kyp and both learn some devastating news. Jacen, Han, and Leia are busy trying to find a new home for the young Jedi on the Errant Venture, and Anakin, Tahiri, and Corran are buying supplies and stumbling upon a clue leading to Yag'Dul. Then, we have Nom Anor's mischief and Nen Yim's attempt to save one of the Yuuzhan Vong creatures.

NOTE: Based on aud
Daniel
Another good entry into the New Jedi Order saga. In my opinion, Rebirth is less focused and driven than Conquest, but still makes for one of the better stories. We've even got a little romance too, which is a nice addition to the series. Yes, we already had Luke/Mara, Han/Leia, but they're married and have different romantic issues to work out.

We've zoomed out from Anakin's perspective, and moved back into many of the others that we've followed since the start (Luke, Mara, Jaina, Jacen, Han, Lei
Jonathan Nonnemacher
Rebirth is mostly a holding pattern entry in the New Jedi Order series. I wasn't surprised or blown away by the plot. The Yuuzhan Vong were standard fare - no standouts or particularly memorable characters.

SPOILER ALERT SUMMARY BELOW

The following is just for me to help remember the major events of this entry in the NJO series.

- Kyp sort of comes on to Jaina
- Anakin and Tahiri smooch
- Corran, Anakin, and Tahiri go to Yag'dhul in a Vong vessel attempting, unsuccessfully, to warn the planet of inv
Jerry
Continuing the improvements to the New Jedi Order series that he made with his first entry, Greg Keyes tells another intense space opera story. I actually liked the first one better...but only by a bit. These two have to be the best in the series so far; if only they hadn't come before a Troy Denning novel; his writings--for me, at least--have always proved difficult to finish.
Randy Patton
There is something about Greg Keyes' style of writing that I enjoy. It stands out compared to a lot of other Star Wars authors that I've read. I would like to check out some of his non-Star Wars novels. This book is a continuation of the Jedi's hopes of restoring faith in their order. The Vong continue to remain a threat. There is a bit of cheesiness but it is not intolerable.
Mark
There is a lot going on in this volume, which is fairly impressive for what amounted to last-minute writing when this pair of books was called up to the big leagues. Shockingly, the Yuuzhan Vong are still on the rampage, but going on here is a counterattack for the first time. Never mind that it's Kyp's doing and he's being a little evil. I guess non-Jedi are allowed to gaze into the abyss since there's no dark side to seize them but it's freakier when Jedi do it.

More introduced with the Vong ba
Aric
Nothing Earth-shattering about this book, just a good fun read. I like books that seem to adhere to an economy of words and don't waste paragraphs/pages/chapters that don't forward the narrative in any meaningful way, this book was one of those. Every word seemed to push the reader further along on the journey to the satisfying and surprising ending. I would read Greg Keyes again based on this book.
Rodrigo González
This book is halfway the long NJO epic saga and continues his predecesor Edge of Victory storyline that is focused in Anakin and his best friend Tahiri and their quest to beat (and escape) the cruel Yuuzhan Vong. It's interesting to note that it has a very cool sub-plot involving a Yuuzhan Vong shaper and her hatred towards the Jedi, it's not the typical Star Wars good versus evil story, it's getting to a point where there are more shades in the struggle than what we thought at the beggining of ...more
Ren the Unclean
Sep 14, 2008 Ren the Unclean rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: star wars fans
Shelves: sci-fi
This book, appropriately, picks up where Edge of Victory I leaves off. The Jedi are still wanted and the New Republic government wants to arrest Luke Skywalker himself for his actions during the first book in this duology.

It is not quite as good as EoVI, but it still does a really good job with character development and giving more information about the Yuuzhan Vong. The content is split about evenly between a number of people, including Anakin, Han, Luke and Mara, and one of the Yuuzhan Vong S
William
The more I read this series, the more I wonder why people dismissed it as being boring and uneventful. The storyline of this novel does divide into 3 arcs, with the Anakin arc being the most interesting as it concerns his love interest with Tahiri Veila. The fight scenes, both in space and hand to hand, are well written and intense. The birth of Ben Skywalker is also intriguing as I know that my new favorite character (young Solo) doesn't make it to the end of the series. I'm almost certain that ...more
Matthew Ashby
Nothing special, but the ending is touching. There is another Skywalker!
Dustin
This is, by far, one of my favorite NJO books. I love Keyes' prose and he captures Corran Horn so well (even if Michael Stackpole will forever own that character). This was pretty much the only book that had me laughing and tearing up in the same chapter. The relationship between Luke and Mara was captured so well (nothing in the series has come close to what Zahn did in the HoT duology, but this was close!). And the birth of Ben was one of the most memorable moments in the entire EU. Not only o ...more
Yves
Anakin a réussi à sauver son ami Tahiri mais celle-ci souffre des manipulation qu'ont fait les Yuuzhan Vong sur elle. Leur fuite de la planète n'est pas de tout repos car ils sont recherchés pas la Brigade de la paix, des agent des Yuuzhan Vong. De son côté, Mara Jade est mourante à cause du virus des Vong dont elle est infectée.

Le tome précédent était meilleur mais celui-ci n'est quand même pas mauvais. Il y a beaucoup d'actions et de sous-histoires. Il est vraiment difficile d'en faire un bon
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 stars. Probably the best book in the New Jedi Order series for me so far. I was surprised I enjoyed it so much, given how I was so disappointed with the one that came before, which was the first half of the Edge of Victory story line.

"Rebirth" goes back to focusing more on both the Solo and Skywalker families. That was basically what I wanted, and what I was missing from the "Conquest", which was Anakin Solo-centric. In this book, I found there was a lot more going on in the story that I was
Adam
I should start this whole thing off by saying I have really enjoyed my time with NJO. As a tween I was very into the SW EU and read everything from "Heir to the Empire" to to the Blsck Fleet Crisis. What I have enjoyed about NJO as opposed to most the preceeding is the continuity of having one big series that everyone contributes to. It gives me a chance as a reader and a fan to develop my understanding and hatred for the Yuuzhan Vong, and will hopeful make this arcs resolution very satisfying.
Ryan
As we head into the second half of the Edge of Victory mini-series, the story starts t o focus a lot more on Anakin Solo. Unfortuately, Anakin is possibly my least-favourite character in the entire series, so I figured that this would make this book a real slog through. Keyes does a really good job of developing Anakin's character, though: by the end of the book, I found him somewhat likable, and appreciated that he now has a bit of a character that's unique and separate from his siblings.
John Cook
Apr 22, 2013 John Cook rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Youth and older.
Recommended to John by: Me.
Han and Leia's youngest son, Anakin, is on the run with his friend Tahiri Veila. The New Republic is disenchanted with the Jedi. The Yuuzhan Vong are out to kill them. The Peace Brigade thinks they committed murder. It's a story full of twists and turns. It's lots of fun. The characters are engaging. The writing is crisp and quick moving.

Kim
Eric Moreno
Matt Hartzell
Mar 06, 2009 Matt Hartzell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars Fans
Shelves: star-wars
The New Jedi Order is my favorite series in the Star Wars Expanded Universe. It is a long and epic story, with large ramifications for all the Expanded Universe characters. It will keep you busy for a while!
Brendan
I felt this book lacked an overarching story. Too much coincidental connection between unrelated stories, too many small stories going on and bouncing in between them.
Peter
A very exciting book that sets the stage for the next phase of the New Jedi Order Series. The author does a good job of building to an exciting climax.
DC
Passable, not too spectacular. Less told from the Yuuzhan Vong perspective, which was what primarily interested me about Conquest. Still better than FOTJ.
  • Rebel Stand (Enemy Lines, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #12)
  • Hero's Trial (Agents of Chaos, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4)
  • Refugee (Force Heretic, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #16)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Ruin (Dark Tide, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #3)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
Gregory Keyes is a writer of science fiction and fantasy who has written both original and media-related novels under both the names J. Gregory Keyes and "Greg Keyes".

Greg Keyes was born in to a large, diverse, storytelling family. He received degrees in anthropology from Mississippi State and the University of George before becoming a fulltime writer.
He lives in Savannah, Georgia.
More about Greg Keyes...

Star Wars: The New Jedi Order (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Vector Prime (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #1)
  • Onslaught (Dark Tide, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #2)
  • Ruin (Dark Tide, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #3)
  • Hero's Trial (Agents of Chaos, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4)
  • Jedi Eclipse (Agents of Chaos, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #5)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
The Briar King (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #1) Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7) The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2) The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18) The Blood Knight (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #3)

“Part of being a Jedi is setting an example."

-Corran Horn to Anakin Solo”
3 likes
“His eyes burned across the space between them like quasars. "We, Jaina, are the new Jedi order. And this is our war." -Jedi Master Kyp Durron” 0 likes