Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)

Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order #11)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  3,756 ratings  ·  33 reviews
As the Yuuzhan Vong’s spectacular conquests continue unchecked, Luke Skywalker, Han and Leia Solo , and Wedge Antilles are forced to destroy what they have risked their lives to create. . . .

Scattering like rats before the Yuuzhan Vong’s invasion of Coruscant, the panic-stricken members of the New Republic Advisory’s Council pause just long enough to set up a mock defense...more
Published March 26th 2002 by LucasBooks

Path of Destruction by Drew KarpyshynHeir to the Empire by Timothy ZahnDarth Plagueis by James LucenoRule of Two by Drew KarpyshynThe Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno
Best Star Wars Books
153rd out of 381 books — 806 voters
Heir to the Empire by Timothy ZahnDark Force Rising by Timothy ZahnThe Last Command by Timothy ZahnDarth Plagueis by James LucenoStar Wars Episode IV by George Lucas
Star Wars Novels
150th out of 177 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeff
I had not read anything by Aaron Allston prior to this book, and I have to say that I think that I have a new favorite in the Star Wars Galaxy. Michael Stackpole is good, and has some very engaging battles, but Allston has a more conversational style. More like he is telling you a story rather than writing a story. I feel like this can make it so that you feel more engaged in the narrative. It also allows for more idioms and more humor. The humor part is nice, because sometimes, I feel like an a...more
Crystal Starr Light
The Return of the Rebel Alliance

The New Republic forces have taken Borleias as a staging area for the evacuation of the Inner Core. Self-appointed Chief of State, Pwoe, orders Wedge Antilles and gang to set up a defense for evacuees. But Wedge, Luke, and Mara have other plans...the plans for a new way of fighting. Meanwhile, Jaina the Trickster Goddess explodes onto the scene with the help of some old Wraiths.

NOTE: Based on audiobook and novel.

If I had to mark a book that began the turning of th...more
Ryan
May 02, 2008 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
So, after several books of them being scattered, we once again see all of the primary cast of the NJO get brought back together. This allows for some good character moments, and also allows the action to stay somewhat more focused around the events at hand.

And "action" is definitely the word to keep at hand with this book. It's fast-paced, with a lot more focus on the ship battles and space warfare than a lot of the other books in this series, which is fine for now, but could easily get boring i...more
Cian Beirdd
I don't know how the series was organized, but I think several things had to come together to make this book work so well. Allston's writing, of course. Jaina is believable as the barely hanging on woman that she is, having lost her siblings and being targeted by sadistic Yuuzhan Vong. Wedge is seemlessly inserted into a more Force-driven novel with his wit and brilliance intact. There is action.

But this book is a real turning point. It's where the original rebellion heroes begin ignoring the go...more
Sean Neprud
This is the best book yet in the New Jedi Order series.

I flew through this book, smiling and laughing often. The story is simple enough, with most of the heroes we know from the rebel alliance days stuck on a suicide assignment, doing what they do best. The Yuuzhan Vong don't stand a chance.

The writing style is clear and concise, and Aaron Allston took the radical step of giving the characters personality. There have been a few bright spots in the New Jedi Order series, namely Michael Stackpole...more
Daniel
Aaron Allston brings with him many of the characters from the Wraith Squadron books (part of the X-Wing series), actual military tactics, humor, and some great character moments.

This one is pretty short, and I almost feel like it should have just been combined with the sequel, Rebel Stand (which I haven't gotten to yet). However, it stands pretty well on its own, just keeping in mind it's the first in a duology within the New Jedi Order series.

Probably the biggest strength is the character devel...more
Mark
The New Jedi Order has been one setback after another for the heroes, who are often hampered by the political establishment, because that's just how it goes. With the fall of Coruscant and the rump of the Republic trying to appease the Yuuzhan Vong, an enterprising Wedge Antilles negotiates enough of a veneer of legitimacy to wage the military campaign he wants to wage.

The Enemy Lines duology bring a little fun back into the EU that's sapped by the NJO. No surprise it's at the hands of Aaron All...more
Jonathan Nonnemacher
As other reviewers have stated, Rebel dream brings some excitement and freshness back to the New Jedi Order series. I was not impressed at all with the immediate predecessors in the series, Star by Star and Dark Journey.

Allston invigorated characters like Wedge, Lando, and the Intelligence agents with wit to keep the dialogue snappy.

I was intrigued by the plot developments for the overall story arc. I am actually looking forward to reading the next entry in the duology, Rebel Stand. I was a lit...more
Michael Church
I loved this book. The NJO series had really started to go stale on me, but this absolutely 100% revitalized my enjoyment of it. I'm currently reading the sequel (nearly finished) and they blend so well together. The stories are split just enough to give focus to each of the divergent threads. Characters come and go in a manner that makes you say "THAT'S what they were doing?!" The final twist and confrontation is just stunning. As someone who's relatively new to the extended universe, it came a...more
Bradley
Aaron Allston finally makes his glorious return to Star Wars literature with Rebel Dream , the first book in the Enemy Lines duology.

For those of you who are disgruntled, and barely want to continue reading the New Jedi Order , I understand. However, if all the NJO books were as well written as Rebel Dream, your attitudes would be completely opposite. Allston has done a great job with this novel, and I must applaud him for it.

He brings great life to nearly all the characters, making none of them...more
Andrew
This was one of the better New Jedi Order books. It's a really bad time for the New Republic, but the book isn't as depressing as some of the others (like Star by Star).

Jaina and Wedge are the main characters. Both have heavy burdens but do a fair job of managing them. Jaina deals with constant death by trying to separate herself from others, but that doesn't work because she's pretending to be the Yuuzhan Vong trickster goddess (and gods need to be noticed). Wedge has to deal with a government...more
Craig Andrews
It's been a while since I read any Star Wars books so I decided to go back to where I left off a year or so back. The New Jedi Order continues to be an entertaining series, I have managed to stay mostly spoiler free (except annoyingly for one or two really major points). This instalment was particularly good as it felt like one of the New Republic series of books really, even though the Yuuzhan Vong are the villains the good guys got to do what they're best at. It also was surprisingly free of m...more
William
This book strikes me as being the introduction to a much more interesting tale that will get into gear and conclude in the next book, Enemy Lines 2: Rebel Stand. It introduced some new characters and new plot lines, but barely anything was resolved, and the same old same old let's try this approach against the unstoppable Yuuzhan Vong is getting a bit old.You would think that the New Republic would have finished with these guys long ago as they seem to develop new battle strategy every new book...more
Yves
Maintenant que les pertes sont importantes pour la Nouvelle République et que tous les groupes sont divisés, Han et Leia partent à travers la Galaxie pour former une nouvelle Alliance qui fonctionnera comme celle qui a combattu l'Empire. Cependant, il n'y a pas te temps à perdre s'ils ne veulent pas être complètement anéanti par les Vong.

Je ne suis pas un grand fan de Aaron Allston. Je n'ai peut être pas aimé le livre à sa juste valeur. Je ne suis pas fou des combats spatiaux et ça c'est la spéc...more
Toby Andersen
Overall satisfying sw novel. it is a bit of a lull after Dark Journey, but it is entertaining and the cameos of Allston's other characters is fun. The book is very much more geared to a set of space battles - with very few (if any) hand to hand fights. Wedge is finally a prominent character in a NJO book which is good and different. Jaina and Kyp and Jag are handled quite well. It does feel a bit unfinished - but this is understandable - this is only part 1 of a duo. Can't wait for Stand!!

Solid...more
Jiří Budinský
So far the best book of tne NJO series.
It had perfect drive, the characters were great described and finally I was starting to feel like I read about my childhood Star Wars heroes, who are capable of doing something against the antagonist and do not just suffer lost after lost.

Aaron Allston is a great writer and I really love his descriptions of battles, it's perfectly clear and the reader gets the picture of what's going on. He also respects limitations of characters and yet pushes them to the...more
Jose F.
I read this book when it first came out, almost 11 years ago, and vaguely remembered enjoying it a lot back then: this second reading did not disappoint, but this time I do not have to wait 3 months for the second part :-)

As usual, Aaron Allston's Star Wars books are a pleasure to read, he has the main characters (Luke, Leia, Han, Lando) down pat and brilliantly combines action, strategy and humor, and the EU characters (not only the ones Allston himself created) are brilliant, the scenes with...more
Jesse
The new Jedi order completely outpaces anything in the Starwars genre. This series was Dark, exciting, fast paced, and inspired. The writing was fantastic and the level of philosophy and force history was unparalleled. If your a fan at any level of the Starwars Universe than this series is a must read. It is on my top 5 of all time for a series and I treasured every moment I spent in that time. But beware, this isn't your typical Starwars book, be ready for a level of intensity that you've never...more
Aric
Good story but clearly setting up the 2nd book. It was nice to have a book with Wedge and the old rebel gang in it though.
Caroline
I don't really remember this book that well, only that there was a scene where Luke and Mara (the Solo Twins' uncle and aunt) have fake coffee (it's called "caf") amd talk to their pal Wedge.
Have you ever noticed that sci-fi characters have really weird names? Because seriously, WEDGE???? I guess Jaina's not a very normal name, either. Or Anakin. Because Wedge is actually a verb, and Jaina sounds plausible, but ANAKIN???
Eric Moreno
Brendan
I enjoyed this book as it momentarily drew the focus away from the Jedi (mostly) and focused on Wedge Antilles and war again, bringing back some favorite characters from the X-Wing series of books. I look forward to reading the next in the series.
Ley
Can The New Jedi Order series get much better? This book was amazing! Bravo! Jag... Kyp... Jaina... Leia... Tahiri, they were all so amazing! Everything feels so real. I already started the next in line... YAY!
Ari
Great book, alot of fun. It was faced paced and got great content. It was niced to catch up with our wraith squardon heroes. It was interesting to read about the physcological war against the vong. A must read.
Bryan Long
Best of the NJO series since Vector Prime! All of our heroes are back on track and taking the fight to the scarheads. Just don't read this unless you have Rebel Stand nearby. You'll thank me later for that tip.
Michael
As usual with the Allston I've read the book is well written and entertaining. Not as good as the x-wing work, but I'm not as satisfied with the Vong line. A bit weak in the relationship area, but otherwise a good read.
Matt Hartzell
Mar 06, 2009 Matt Hartzell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Star Wars Fans
Shelves: star-wars
The New Jedi Order is my favorite series in the Star Wars Expanded Universe. It is a long and epic story, with large ramifications for all the Expanded Universe characters. It will keep you busy for a while!
Ashley
I've never been a fan of Luke and the first half left me a little bored. The second half however was great I couldn't put it down. I'd give the first half 2.5 and the second 4.
Bonnie
Allston definitely figured out how to draw in any fans who may have been losing faith in the New Jedi Order: bring back the Luke, Han and Leia we knew from the old Rebel Alliance.
Lindsey
A lighter NJO book and the cameos were nice. Possibly Allston's weakest Star Wars book, but that still makes it a good read and worth the time of any Star Wars fan.
  • Remnant (Force Heretic, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #15)
  • The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • The Unifying Force (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #19)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • Onslaught (Dark Tide, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #2)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Revelation (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #8)
Wraith Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #5) Iron Fist (Star Wars: X-Wing, #6) Solo Command (Star Wars: X-Wing, #7) Starfighters of Adumar (Star Wars: X-Wing, #9) Betrayal (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #1)

“That was interesting."
"He deliberately countermanded one of my orders."
"He was furtive."
"Sneaky, even."
"We'll make a Rebellion-style pilot of him yet."

Tycho & Wedge (about Jag)”
13 likes
“Tycho, we're about to achieve a tremendous victory we don't want."
"We'll put that in your biography. General Antilles was so good he couldn't fail when he tried to."
"Thanks."