Start by marking “The Valentine Legacy” as Want to Read:
The Valentine Legacy

The Valentine Legacy (Legacy #3)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  2,106 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
In the early 1820s, horse racing was a down and dirty sport. James Wyndham, who owns racing stables in both England and America, finds his racing nemesis in red-haired Jessie Warfield, renowned hoyden and champion jockey, who knows as many dirty racing tricks as James does. When either wins a race, the other's nose gets rubbed in the dirt.

Jessie has known James for six yea
Published August 1st 1995 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about The Valentine Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Valentine Legacy

Ns
Dec 25, 2010 Ns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Valentine Legacy was a delightful read. It was also my first Catherine Coulter novel and definitely will not be the last.

Wit and humour were both used wisely and timely to build chemistry between Jessie Warfield and her love, James Wyndham. There was an absence of emotional intensity and dramatics and even without this, Jessie and James were still appealing characters. Their heartfelt bickering and eventual passion was a fun journey involving plenty of comical moments and light trials and t
Christianne
Dec 28, 2011 Christianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only problem with this book is it took James so long to tell Jessie that he loves her. I think his love for Jessie goes way back from the beginning where they were both competitors in the horse-racing business. This is the typical story where the girl likes the guy but the only way she knows how to show it is by being mean to him. Same goes with the guy.
They complement each other perfectly.

I just felt bad for Jessie in the beginning where everybody was putting her down. Like she's not wort
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount)
There really was not much chemistry between the main characters, Jessie and James, in this romance, so I felt sorry for them both that they felt so pressured to marry anyway. This story seemed more like a romantic tragedy than a romance, two dysfunctional families trapping their children into an unfortunate marriage where the best that can be said about it is that the young couple doesn't have to live with the in-laws on either side. So, as a romance this book failed miserably in my opinion, but ...more
Linda
Sep 12, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has literally been decades since I read The Wyndham Legacy and The Nightingale Legacy. I did not realize they were 2/3 of a trilogy until I joined Goodreads in 2011.

I was really enjoying The Valentine Legacy until, about 3/4 of the way in, the author took a left turn and suddenly, the story was about Blackbeard's treasure and the lost Roanoke colony. Huh??? That being said, Catherine Coulter is still one of my favorite romance writers, and Jessie and James are a couple I will not soon forget.
Vicki
Feb 03, 2016 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
I loved this book almost as much as I loved the Nightingale Legacy. Catherine Coulter made Jessie Warfield and James Wyndham come to life. They started as childhood friends that got mired down with a reputation ruining accident and they were able to pull it all together into love.

While living with Marcus and Duchess Wyndham, they have totally transformed Jessie. There is a mystery that they work together to solve and it is so sweet when James allows himself to acknowledge how he feels about Jes
Veronica Harris
Disappointing. Disjointed plot. Are there ever any ordinary looking people in Coulter's books?
Or protagonist that are sexually incompatible?
Diana
Jessie is a tomboy, racing horses and delighting in beating James Wyndham. James has slowly begun to realize that Jessie, the annoying brat, is actually a woman. And the series wouldn't be complete without another treasure hunt…

I found this one to be slightly boring. James is slightly annoying with his 'no, you can't wear dresses' nonsense, but I never really disliked him. It did draw on too long, and the introduction of the treasure didn't even come until the last part of the book. The ending w
M.A. Levi
Aug 09, 2011 M.A. Levi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was truly and utterly AMAZING! This book had suspense, mystery, a lost treasure, an amazing plot, filled with passion, hate, excitement, and true love. The characters were all charming and made the story come to life. I love this book and this author. Only one book has been a disappointment and it's not this book. This is a great read and It's one of my favorites. I can't wait to read the next book "The Nightingale Legacy"
Elizabethrose
Dec 16, 2015 Elizabethrose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one took me way to long to read but not because it was bad! This is my favorite Wyndham book but time was not available as much as I wanted to read this all the time. I love Jessie and James! They argue and tease and poke fun and it makes me laugh. I loved that Marcus and Duchess were in this one but I wish North and Caroline had put in an appearance
Marian
Mar 30, 2008 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been years since I read this one, but I really enjoy Coulter's humor. I remember meeting her, years ago at the Orange Country RWA meeting and telling her how I had wanted to smash Marcus (from the Wyndham Legacy) and she laughed.

I'm currently listening to this one on audio while I sort through my tax documents. You need a lot of humor to do that.
Virginia Markhart
Oct 08, 2011 Virginia Markhart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the 1800's. My favorite period. Too much graphic sex for the time period. Good story. Tomboy girl Jessie falls for next door neighbor who is a rival horse racer. Her honor is compromised, she dashes of to his relatives in England. He comes over and marries her. She has nightmares about an attempted rape in her childhood and a mystery surrounding buried treasure unfolds.
Diane Wachter
The Valentine Legacy, Legacy Series, Bk 3, Catherine Coulter, HB-B @ 95, 9/99. James Wyndham forced to marry Jessie Warfield "a brat of a child" and a worthy race opponent falls in love with her and forces her to remember a long ago attempted rape and murder, mixed in with Blackbeard and his decendents and the lost Roanoke people. Okay.
Kaelee Newton
Dec 30, 2013 Kaelee Newton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite of the trilogy with The Wyndham Legacy being next. I much prefer this story's tropes to the ones used in the first two novels. This has a much lighter feel to me than the others even though none of them are very dark and depressing, no matter what other readers have thought of them.
Jessica
Aug 29, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-novels
She never dissapoints!! Although this was the last book in a series, it was still easy to enjoy the story. And I love the love stories that start with them hating each other and then falling in love!!
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Jessie and James are a fun couple. This is a well written book filled with ups and downs. I liked how Jessie totally changed. The swan on the cover is definitely appropriate to the theme of this book. I love the duckling trope. Enjoyable read for historical romance lovers.
Shea
Not the best in this genre that I have read. It was slow at times but Jessie is a likable character. It may have helped if I had read the two books that come before this one in Coulter's Legacy series.
Qtpham85
Jun 13, 2011 Qtpham85 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To me, this was the best of the trilogy. I loved every single minute of reading this book, but it still didn't tug at my heartstrings as much as other books did. Great chemistry between the hero and heroine.
Katherine ang
Jun 21, 2011 Katherine ang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot was great. The twist were interesting and unexpected. I characters were great. I'm just disappointed on what they did to the valentine legacy. But all in all, it was fun and witty.
Bebe Four

Series rating: 3.5
My ranking: #2 > #3 > #1
The secondary characters are especially well done in this series.
Jill
Jan 11, 2009 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the other books of the trilogy better, but this one wrapped it up nicely, and I liked how the epilogue told the stories of the children as well.
brandi
Jun 15, 2011 brandi rated it it was amazing
I liked this one the best of the trilogy, the characters were interesting and the story was enjoyable.
Mary Mathews
Apr 06, 2012 Mary Mathews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The men fight against getting married but end up being in love. The setting for this book moves from America to England and back to America with a somewhat unusual love story but a decent mystery.
Jean
Feb 03, 2014 Jean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
Audio book. I would not recommend this boook. it starts with an interesting plot line, but there are leaps to suddenly make things happen. Sex scenes are a bit too graphic for my tastes.
Rachel
Jun 17, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good book. I really like Catherine Coulter. I discovered her last year. She writes historical mystery as well as contemporary mysteries!!
Susan Shepard
Susan Shepard rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2009
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2009
Marylee Walters
Marylee Walters rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2011
Roberta
Roberta rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2010
  • Impulse
  • River Lady
  • No Other Love (No Other, #3)
  • The Raven and the Rose
  • A Gentle Feuding
  • Beguiled (Clan Mackenzie, #4)
  • Love With the Proper Husband (Effingtons, #6)

Legacy (3 books)
  • The Wyndham Legacy (Legacy, #1)
  • The Nightingale Legacy (Legacy, #2)