Start by marking “The Valentine Legacy” as Want to Read:
The Valentine Legacy

The Valentine Legacy (Legacy #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,776 ratings  ·  29 reviews
In the early 1820s, horse racing was a down and dirty sport. James Wyndham, who owns racing stables in both England and America, finds his racing nemesis in red-haired Jessie Warfield, renowned hoyden and champion jockey, who knows as many dirty racing tricks as James does. When either wins a race, the other's nose gets rubbed in the dirt.

Jessie has known James for six yea...more
Published August 1st 1995 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about The Valentine Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Valentine Legacy

Ns
The Valentine Legacy was a delightful read. It was also my first Catherine Coulter novel and definitely will not be the last.

Wit and humour were both used wisely and timely to build chemistry between Jessie Warfield and her love, James Wyndham. There was an absence of emotional intensity and dramatics and even without this, Jessie and James were still appealing characters. Their heartfelt bickering and eventual passion was a fun journey involving plenty of comical moments and light trials and t...more
Christianne
My only problem with this book is it took James so long to tell Jessie that he loves her. I think his love for Jessie goes way back from the beginning where they were both competitors in the horse-racing business. This is the typical story where the girl likes the guy but the only way she knows how to show it is by being mean to him. Same goes with the guy.
They complement each other perfectly.

I just felt bad for Jessie in the beginning where everybody was putting her down. Like she's not wort...more
Bebe Four

Series rating: 3.5
My ranking: #2 > #3 > #1
The secondary characters are especially well done in this series.
Jean
Audio book. I would not recommend this boook. it starts with an interesting plot line, but there are leaps to suddenly make things happen. Sex scenes are a bit too graphic for my tastes.
Diana
Jessie is a tomboy, racing horses and delighting in beating James Wyndham. James has slowly begun to realize that Jessie, the annoying brat, is actually a woman. And the series wouldn't be complete without another treasure hunt…

I found this one to be slightly boring. James is slightly annoying with his 'no, you can't wear dresses' nonsense, but I never really disliked him. It did draw on too long, and the introduction of the treasure didn't even come until the last part of the book. The ending w...more
Kaelee Newton
This is my favorite of the trilogy with The Wyndham Legacy being next. I much prefer this story's tropes to the ones used in the first two novels. This has a much lighter feel to me than the others even though none of them are very dark and depressing, no matter what other readers have thought of them.
Mariah
This book was truly and utterly AMAZING! This book had suspense, mystery, a lost treasure, an amazing plot, filled with passion, hate, excitement, and true love. The characters were all charming and made the story come to life. I love this book and this author. Only one book has been a disappointment and it's not this book. This is a great read and It's one of my favorites. I can't wait to read the next book "The Nightingale Legacy"
Virginia Markhart
Set in the 1800's. My favorite period. Too much graphic sex for the time period. Good story. Tomboy girl Jessie falls for next door neighbor who is a rival horse racer. Her honor is compromised, she dashes of to his relatives in England. He comes over and marries her. She has nightmares about an attempted rape in her childhood and a mystery surrounding buried treasure unfolds.
Marian
It's been years since I read this one, but I really enjoy Coulter's humor. I remember meeting her, years ago at the Orange Country RWA meeting and telling her how I had wanted to smash Marcus (from the Wyndham Legacy) and she laughed.

I'm currently listening to this one on audio while I sort through my tax documents. You need a lot of humor to do that.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Jessie and James are a fun couple. This is a well written book filled with ups and downs. I liked how Jessie totally changed. The swan on the cover is definitely appropriate to the theme of this book. I love the duckling trope. Enjoyable read for historical romance lovers.
Qtpham85
To me, this was the best of the trilogy. I loved every single minute of reading this book, but it still didn't tug at my heartstrings as much as other books did. Great chemistry between the hero and heroine.
Jessica
She never dissapoints!! Although this was the last book in a series, it was still easy to enjoy the story. And I love the love stories that start with them hating each other and then falling in love!!
Shea
Not the best in this genre that I have read. It was slow at times but Jessie is a likable character. It may have helped if I had read the two books that come before this one in Coulter's Legacy series.
Jane
A good Catherine Counter book.
Katherine ang
The plot was great. The twist were interesting and unexpected. I characters were great. I'm just disappointed on what they did to the valentine legacy. But all in all, it was fun and witty.
Jill
I liked the other books of the trilogy better, but this one wrapped it up nicely, and I liked how the epilogue told the stories of the children as well.
Rachel
This was a pretty good book. I really like Catherine Coulter. I discovered her last year. She writes historical mystery as well as contemporary mysteries!!
brandi
I liked this one the best of the trilogy, the characters were interesting and the story was enjoyable.
Kathleen
didn't think I would like this but i did. will try more of her historical romance.
Annette Meier
Excellent end to the trilogy - enjoyed it very much beginning to end!
Marianne
Cute read, very funny. Have enjoyed this trilogy.
Easy reading.
Lesli
Good not great. Fairly typical historical romance.
As romances go, these tend more towards the crude/vulgar...
Jlkempen
another racy romance disguised as a mystery.
Norma
Fun and witty with a little history
Cws
Aug 20, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: adult-fiction
F Cou
  • Impulse
  • Lost Lady (Lady, #2)
  • Desired
  • Whisper to Me of Love
  • A Loving Scoundrel (Malory-Anderson Family, #7)
  • Beguiled (Clan Mackenzie, #4)
  • That Scandalous Evening (Governess Brides, #.5)
The Cove (FBI Thriller, #1) The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2) Split Second (FBI Thriller, #15) Point Blank (FBI Thriller #10) Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7)