Start by marking “To Marry a Marquess” as Want to Read:
To Marry a Marquess

To Marry a Marquess

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The Marquess of Drakefield knows firsthand the costs of marrying a pauper-both in heartbreak and in coin. But his dying best friend has asked Drakefield to look after his widow. Winning over the wary girl is one thing-but accepting his love for her is another.
Published August 3rd 2004 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about To Marry a Marquess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Marry a Marquess

Kathy
I really enjoy Teresa McCarthy books; I’ve read all four and hope she writes a lot more. To Marry a Marquess was a fun treat. I just thought it was lighthearted fun. Drake and Victoria were likable characters. They meet under unusual circumstances and while instantly attracted to one another it takes them quite awhile to own up to their growing feelings. Drake once thought he married for love and vows never to make that mistake again. He married a “pauper” and ends up in a miserable match. Not o ...more
Deborah
I truly enjoyed this book. There was nothing amazing about it that left me begging for more. But I am just a sucker for a nice clean romance with a some tension and this one fit the bill for me. I liked Vicki. I thought she truly was trying to do right by her family. I was shocked how fast the beginning all came together. I also really enjoyed Drake. I thought they had great chemistry together and that they were totally believable. With most books there were a few things I would change but over- ...more
Valerie Waters
Aww what a cute book. William was awesome!! Lol. Drake was a little overbearing but I liked how he ended up. Victoria was obnoxious. Seriously. How naive can you be?!?!
Jill
Best part about this book? They waited until they were married, and kept it to themselves. Yea!

What I did not like was a stupid heroine - the villain has proven himself to be a vile, evil man with no honor, yet she believes he'll let the boy go if she shows up? (Facepalm) Step outside yourself for a minute and forget your trust issues - someone else's life is at stake and TELL SOMEONE! You're not Wonder Woman, you need help. Then she gives a perfect stranger access to her money - just offers it
Liza
This book was (in my opinion) so bad that it actually destroyed the reading binge I was on because I couldn't force myself to get through it. (But I did. Just took me a few days.)

In short: Victoria is a blithering idiot with no redeemable qualities. She's bland, boring, and has no common sense at all. Drake is an asshat who, once he decides to marry Victoria, spends the entire time emotionally blackmailing her into it (and in general; UGH). I disliked them both immensely. And the author's procli
Lisa
Good writing, but the story itself was a little bland. Not enough actual romance or intimacy to be realistic for me.
Melissa
Really enjoyed this clean, action filled Regency romance. Look forward to reading more by this author.
Amber
An enjoyable clean historical romance. I give it 4 stars or 3.5 because some of the dialog was annoying. I found myself rolling my eyes... frequently. The heroine repeatedly expresses herself with meaningless statements like, "You wouldn't dare!" I wanted to like the book more than I actually did. There was potential and I might try something else by this author.
Arianne
I have to say that my favorite character in this book was the little cousin. He was always roll playing as a pirate and said the cutest things. He really made me laugh and warmed my heart. I just loved this book! I never could see why it really mattered if she had married the dead guy in the first place. If he's dead she can marry again, right?
Maria Claudia
Extremely boring, plain charecters. Didn't like it all.
Steph
I got this free on Amazon and it was an ok read. I found William really irritating and Drake's fascination with his watch was another bug bear. I thought it was pointless to keep mentioning it when it was already made clear he had a thing about order. I probably would've only given it 2.5 stars rather than 3.
Christine
While I enjoy fiction set in the regency period, this book was just full of too many haphazard events. It is hard to appreciate a main character when they keep doing stupid things and don't learn anything about themselves, or grow up. It was written fine, I just really didn't like the characters.
Lisa
Parts of this were engaging such as little William and his pirate way of protecting the princesses, the caring of Victoria, and loving father in Drake. But, other parts seemed inconsistent, such as Victoria falling for a guy that's so angry and other things that would give the plot away.
TJ
Pleasant book.....wish there was more passion. Her naïveté grew a little old instead of talking to any adult she decides to carry the burden herself and in each situation if she would have left it alone or spoke to someone it would've worked itself out.
Antoinette
This was a fun clean read. Not 100% perfect, but i like it
I love all the characters, especially William, witty and fun with his role play as a pirate. A little too mature for his six years of age. This is a book for all ages.
Timeforme
My Thoughts:
This was a so-so story. I was very frustrated by the back and forth internal dialogue of both main characters and by the predictability of the plot.
Jill
Great book, I was not expecting it to go in the direction it did. I figured they would get married right away, but this isn't what happened.
Sharon Kennedy
Brilliant little character in the form of her cousin William, and of course Captain Whitie, but felt the rest of the story was fairly average.
Tara
Fun squeaky clean regency read! Totally up my ally.
Kathryn
I got this as a Kindle freebie. It's a clean, fun regency.
Elizabeth Collins
I think the book was good and I enjoyed reading it.
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Dawn Pannell
Dawn Pannell marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Cindy Clemens
Cindy Clemens marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 21, 2015 11:29AM
Traditional Rege...: To Marry a Marquess by Teresa McCarthy 2 23 Aug 17, 2013 11:05PM
  • Susanna and the Spy (Susanna and the Spy, #1)
  • The Six-Month Marriage
  • The Governess and Mr. Granville (The Parson's Daughters, #2)
  • The Five Kisses (Sweet Deception Regency #1)
  • The Robber Bride
  • The Guise of a Gentleman (Rogue Hearts, #2)
  • The Marriage List
  • The Sweetest Kiss (Brothers of Worthington, #1)
  • The Ice Captain's Daughter
  • Waltzing with the Wallflower (Waltzing with the Wallflower, #1)
  • Christmas Brides (Three Regency Novellas)
  • Afton of Margate Castle  (Theyn Chronicles, #1)
  • Fallen Angel
  • Lady Crenshaw's Christmas
  • The Duke's Undoing
  • Untethered
  • Touched By Fire
  • Mistaken Kiss (Regency Trilogy, #2)
The Rejected Suitor The Wagered Bride The Convenient Bride Once Upon A Diamond Almost Midnight (Colorado Clearbrooks, #1)