Start by marking “The Memory Game” as Want to Read:
The Memory Game

The Memory Game

3.52  ·  Rating Details ·  2,812 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
The Memory Game is a haunting psychological thriller from the Top Ten bestselling author, Nicci French

You remember an idyllic childhood. But your memory is deceitful. And possibly deadly...

When a skeleton is unearthed in the Martellos' garden, Jane Martello is shocked to learn it's that of her childhood friend, Natalie, who went missing twenty-five years ago. Encouraged by
Published 1998 by Penguin (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Memory Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memory Game

Helen F
Apr 10, 2014 Helen F rated it did not like it
I was not very enamoured with this book, it took way too long to get going and the whole twist felt pretty adequate and absurd when we got there, plus I had already figured it out.
I just couldn't take to the main character (a sign of how unispired I was that I finished this book 10 minutes ago and have already forgotten her name...) and was quickly fed up of her 'I need a cigarette', 'I'm having a cigarette', 'I am smoking my last cigarette' and so on, ALL the way through. I also found the othe
Janet
Aug 01, 2011 Janet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable book, although it got off to rather a slow start. I guessed the twist long before it actually happened.

Overall the characters were not very likeable and I got rather irritated with Jane and her “I had a cigarette…, I needed a cigarette…” - she was a heavy smoker, we get the picture! I didn’t think this was as good as the write-up suggested, but I did enjoy it, although from reading on Amazon afterwards, I gather that this is one of the weaker ones and that they do improve
Diane
Mar 15, 2012 Diane rated it it was ok
Really a disappointment. I have been enjoying Nicci French thrillers (read one and was excited at the discovery of a new author and have been working my way through the rest) but this one just dragged mercilessly. Too many characters were introduced too fast. It took 100 pages for me to figure out who was a family member, an in-law, a former-in-law, etc. and it turned out that most of these characters just weren't relevant anyway. Not to mention that the story was dragging so much, I just didn't ...more
notgettingenough
Mar 16, 2013 notgettingenough rated it really liked it
This book cost me a national title once. Well, at least a shot at one. I settled down with it in bed the night before a Nationals started and at 5am I was still wide awake glued to it. I finished the book...and my chances of playing okay the next day. From a professional faller-asleeper - it is by far the thing at which I shine - this is really saying something.

How odd. I've read plenty of this sort of book, it isn't the best written (or the worst by any means). It even has the kiss of death of
Renny Barcelos
This was so boring I couldn't force myself to pay the right amount of attention to the audiobook and despite rewind several times I finished it without fully understanding what happened. I am curious but not enough to put myself through it again...
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

This year I have listened to Nicci French's Frieda Klein series which I have loved. I have finished the series up to Saturday and I was eager to try their standalone thrillers. Apparently The Memory Game was the first collaboration for Nicci Gerrard and Sean French.

This book was set in 1995 and it was like a different world. It made me laugh, Jane smoking in pubs, listening to cassettes and the police using carbon paper oh how times have changed.

The Memory Game was a
Moira
Nov 17, 2007 Moira rated it liked it
Well, this was strange. It takes a recently divorced woman through "therapy" as she tries to recall some forgotten/supressed memory about the death of her best friend after the body is found on the property the friend grew up on. Then it raises lots of questions about the notion of "recovered memory." It's a strange read. At times I simply couldn't put it down. And it was thought provoking in terms of what memory really is. But there were other times when I found it so confusing that I was annoy ...more
Herbert
Mar 19, 2015 Herbert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: calibre
leuk en goed boek dat blijft boeien maar ik vond de vorige die ik heb gelezen van hun beter.
Donna Henderson
Jun 15, 2015 Donna Henderson rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-read
The following review focuses on the book from a writing perspective, with less focus on the sequence of events/plot. Please note, there will be spoilers.

Before I begin the review, I'd like to mention that one of the first books that really moved me as a reader (and actually made me want to write my own novel) was the psychological-thriller called Beneath the Skin, by Nicci French. I had immediately been drawn to the dark and frightening 'stalker' plot, the closeness of the first-person point of
Tina
May 04, 2017 Tina rated it really liked it
The central character of this book, Jane has recently split up with her husband. Despite this she still wants to be part of the family as there is a lot of shared history as her father and ex father-in-law are old friends. There is also their daughter Natalie who went missing 25 years ago who was best friends with Jane. Whilst at a family gathering Natalie's body is discovered. Jane then takes it upon herself to try and solve the mystery of who murdered her friend.

This isn't the best Nicci Fren
Srinivasan
Sep 09, 2012 Srinivasan rated it really liked it
The Memory Game is a flash back & forward look at the life of Jane Martello. Her childhood friend, Natalie, was murdered over 20 years ago & her body is discovered at a family reunion. Jane is divorcing Natalie's brother & the novel unfolds as Jane starts to retrace her life & her interaction with the family. This invariably leads to discussions about Natalie. The family had always believed she had run away but now have to face up to her murder & who did it. As Jane remembers ...more
Jessica
Jun 10, 2009 Jessica rated it it was ok
I found this book both slow and perdictable. The last 100 pages are the best, but like the rest of the book it was a fight to stay involved. This could have been a great story and the writing style is interesting any many parts, but nothing seemed to happen after the bones are found. Overall I was not happy with this book.
Karschtl
I actually came quite far, read more than 100 pages, but kept thinking that the story is boring (the sittings with her therapeut), and that I'm not in the least interested who murdered Natalie. Very probably someone from the family, but I really don't care and that's why I decided to stop reading in favour of other books.
tivasyk
Jun 10, 2014 tivasyk rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, french, thriller
не розумію досить невисоку (3,4/5) оцінку цього твору на goodreads'ах -- на мою гадку, це найкраще у своєму жанрі з того, що мені довелося прочитати за ці два роки принаймні. дуже рекомендую! для себе ж відкрив нікі френч як ім'я над цілим новим списком обов'язкового читання!
Kirsty Darbyshire

It made me believe in things I don'tbelieve in and then tore the beliefs to pieces in front of my eyes, Ifound that very powerful.

Jess Norman
Mar 23, 2017 Jess Norman rated it it was ok
I've recently read a lot of Nicci French and this was quite disappointing. Seemed like an odd, inexperienced approach to psychologist/psychoanalyists. The first revelation was a shock in the sense that I never believed it. I wasn't that compelled by these characters. Why were they shocked when the autopsy said murder? Did they not assume??
JNY
Mar 26, 2017 JNY rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, mystery
Misschien dat ik dit boek een hoger cijfer zou hebben gegeven als de eerste 200blz niet zo ontzettend saai waren. Het koste me echt moeite om te blijven lezen.

Het uiteindelijke plot was prima, maar niet compleet onverwachts. Wellicht zijn andere boeken van Nicci French beter.
Helen
Jun 20, 2017 Helen rated it liked it
Not a thriller by any means . A boring book that seemed to go on forever
Lucy
Feb 19, 2017 Lucy rated it liked it
Very good.
Judi
Mar 11, 2017 Judi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well worth reading

A gripping plot well written and so real as it draws you in. It is a book that grabs your attention and makes you become one of the cast of characters.
Gea
Mar 04, 2017 Gea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dit boek heb ik niet uitgelezen. Uitermate saai.
Peter
Nov 02, 2014 Peter rated it it was ok
When a skeleton of the murdered Natalie Martello is unearthed in the family garden 25 years after her disappearance her childhood friend Jane,who is in the process of divorcing Natalie's brother Claud,is forced to search her own long buried memories to try and solve the mystery of Natalie's death.

The initial premise is quite a good one, the idea of how people and children in particular are able to bury traumatic memories in some dark corner of their minds so as to move on with their lives and th
Lekker-Lezen
Dec 28, 2016 Lekker-Lezen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This was the second time I tried finishing this Nicci French. First time couldn't get through it... The story endlessly describes what happens with the family of her ex husband after discovering the grave of Natali. In the last 100 pages the story starts going and it's not until the end before it gets clear who very surprisingly has done it.
Steve
Apr 30, 2014 Steve rated it it was ok
Mid 2. Husband and wife team, Nicci Gerard and Sean French, offered a tantalising premise for their debut psychological thriller of an investigation into suppressed memories, and the reliability of ‘recovered memory’ techniques in treatment of those failing to deal with trauma. The discovery of the buried corpse of Natalie Martello, unearthed in the garden of the family estate in Shropshire 25 years after her disappearance, acts as the spur for Jane, childhood friend and our narrator, to questio ...more
Yvette Watson
Feb 16, 2017 Yvette Watson rated it liked it
It's a typical who did it book. But it does make you think when you recall memories. Wasn't my favorite book.
Kay
Feb 01, 2015 Kay rated it really liked it
Once a year the Martellos have a large family party to gather mushrooms, although Jane is divorcing Claud she is still in attendance and supervising the building of a large new summer house in the grounds. Whilst the foundations are being dug a skeleton is discovered which is quickly thought to be that of 16 year old Natalie Martello who had disappeared 25 years ago. Natalie was originally thought to have run away and the disappearance nows becomes a crime. Jane and Natalie were best friends who ...more
Jasmine
Feb 08, 2012 Jasmine rated it it was ok
Anouk
Mar 22, 2015 Anouk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most times I give a book three stars, I feel like I should include a disclaimer that 'I actually really enjoyed reading this despite the rating'.
So it is, too, with 'The Memory Game'.

It's a nice murder mystery, and although lots of reviews mention the predictability of the final plottwist I personally didn't see it coming. There is some predictability in the first chunk of the book, but it never reached levels where it seriously interfered with my fun of reading.
With such a large cast of charact
Andrea Hickman Walker
Siv Lene
Jul 22, 2016 Siv Lene rated it really liked it
Jeg leste denne som tenåring og hadde høye forhåpninger når jeg leste den igjen. Historien husket jeg ikke stort av, men jeg satt igjen med et minne om en spennende krimgåte og ikke minst en god historie. Og ja, det er en god bok. På mange måter er den mer som en karakterskildring enn en krimroman, men den er på ingen måte kjedelig. Ettersom historien utvikler seg vil du som leser like mye ha svar på hvorfor Jane forlot Greg, som hvem som drepte Natalie, og det er utilfredsstillende at Jane egen ...more
*spoiler* question near the ending. 1 16 Feb 26, 2013 02:22AM
  • Dwaalspoor
  • Versluiering
  • Pay Off
  • Am Ende des Schweigens
  • De geur van regen (Paul Vegter #3)
Note: (Nicci Gerrard and Sean French also write separately.)

Nicci Gerrard was born in June 1958 in Worcestershire. After graduating with a first class honours degree in English Literature from Oxford University, she began her first job, working with emotionally disturbed children in Sheffield. In that same year she married journalist Colin Hughes.

In the early eighties she taught English Literature
More about Nicci French...