Start by marking “Killing Me Softly” as Want to Read:

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,190 Ratings  ·  323 Reviews
Now that you've read GONE GIRL...

Alice Loudon has it all: a devoted boyfriend, a marvelous circle of friends, a challenging job as a research scientist. Then one morning, on her way to work, she exchanges a lingering look with a devastatingly attractive man. Adam Tallis is the essence of every female fantasy--a daring mountain climber who has been hailed as a hero. As a lo
Published January 5th 2006 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Killing Me Softly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Me Softly

Buggy
Opening Line: “He knew he was going to die.”

Killing Me Softly is a love story but not in the typical sense; it’s obsessive, all consuming, violent, intense, desperate and ultimately terrifying. And oh my god is it good. I literally could not put this down.

If I could compare this book to anything I would say that initially it reminded me of a combination of 9 weeks and that Richard Gere/Diane Lane movie from a few years ago (Unfaithful) -based on the passion, intensity and utter randomness of o
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
This book surprised me. It was not what I expected. To be honest, the book’s description on the back cover doesn’t give too much details on what it’s about and when I first began to read it, I asked myself “Why did I pick this one up”? Maybe it was because I got it on clearance for a buck @ the local bookshop. Nonetheless, I am happy I picked this one up. It turned out to be suspenseful and a good read. Here is what this book is about since the book description lacks some knowledge.

Alice meets A
Miz
So .... thrillers, romance, erotic, suspense with cheating .... not really my thing! Who knew!
Mystique
Jul 30, 2009 Mystique rated it it was ok
Maybe I'm just jaded, but I expect MORE from my mysteries! MORE MORE MORE!
Predictable, predictable, predictable.
Beach read, definitely.

The first 60% of the book just made me mad. Alice has a good, healthy, strong relationship with Jake, but as all we weak women are, she's lured out of it by the promise of a roll in the hay with studly Adam. There...I just summed up in one sentence what it took the author 60% of the book to say.

The book only gets interesting (and mildly so at that) in the final 4
Monique
Man can I give this book a 3.5..LOL anyways I really did enjoy this book as it is subtitled as A Novel of Obsession and that is exactly what she was, obsessed, like to the extreme..Okay so the book starts out with an ordinary woman just like any one of us in a great relationship with a guy who is comfortable with her, and wants to marry her--she has a great circle of college friends and a great job as a scientific researcher for a female contraceptive..everything a thirty-something woman could w ...more
NancyHelen
Jan 07, 2009 NancyHelen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry to say that I thought this book was truly awful. I found it neither gripping nor thrilling. Irritating and unbelievable were probably better adjectives. Alice was so naive I wanted to smack her and the 'bad guy' was so obviously sinister, anyone who didn't notice it must have had their head buried in the sand. I didn't find the conclusion particularly convincing either. It's the first Nicci French I have read and I have a feeling it might be the last.

Sorry all, but it was just not for
Barbara Elsborg
Apr 10, 2014 Barbara Elsborg rated it it was amazing
Chilling. I love the way the book starts and then backtracks. Doesn't always work but it does here. The authors show how deep obsession can go, how the victim can be pulled in without even realising it's happening, and even when they do, it's still difficult to believe what's going on. Adam is a damaged individual. So kind and caring, so vile and manipulative. Well drawn characters all round. I've read this book twice - psychological suspense novels don't come better than this. Not a romance!
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This book is excellent, and got me snapping up every Nicci French book I could find. Just please, please don't watch the movie! It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen! If I had seen the movie first I would never have read the book.
Priscilla Mensah
I will first start by saying that i think its a really good book and makes me think about human nature which i love to do. so Alice our heroine has a satisfactory boyfriend, job and friends. while she is in this life she feels quite happy until she sees Adam across the street. their attraction is palpable and she does something out of character, she looses her head and follows her emotions; she becomes obsessed with him and he with her. Adam is a mountain climber and it seems that his past is da ...more
Thom Swennes
Jan 19, 2012 Thom Swennes rated it really liked it
Killing Me Softly
You’re happy. You are pleased with your life. You have a job that you enjoy and you are good at it. You have a partner that loves you and you are even considering starting a family. One day, that all changes, you see a stranger and everything changes. With hardly a word you follow him and are willingly sexually seduced. This is the life of Alice Loudon. She meets Adam and everything changes. Life is no longer mundane but is this new, all consuming passion, really what she wants.
Nolan
Jun 19, 2014 Nolan rated it really liked it
It all begins as an incredible adventure into passion that gets more exhilarating with each passing moment. Alice Loudon lives a quiet London life. She has a relatively nondescript boyfriend with whom she lives, and friends who eagerly include her in their circle of activities.

That all changes on a fateful day when she exchanges a lingering look with a man who utterly shakes her up and rearranges every aspect of her life. They ultimately engage in a frothy quickie in his flat, and his skills as
Chrissy
May 09, 2007 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
Okay, this book is like a lifetime movie meets Showtime. Another one of my guilty pleasures. This is a curl yourself in a blanket and never get up book. It's a bad car accident. You're surprised you're so interested and a little disappointed in yourself, but you can't peel yourself away!
Zoeytron
Jul 22, 2013 Zoeytron rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
Another reviewer mentioned something to the effect that this book reminded her of one of those cheesy made-for-TV movies on Lifetime. I wholeheartedly concur. Cannot think of a better way to phrase it. Period.

This was a First-reads giveaway, thank you.
Miss Hartigan
Jun 15, 2011 Miss Hartigan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: psychology and relationship enthusiasts
Recommended to Miss Hartigan by: myself
Again, I pulled an alnighter just to finish reading it. I tried time and time again to put it down so I can get some sleep, but couldn't. I found the end to be anti climatic though.
Kelly
Jul 10, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, favorites
Wow! I could barely force myself to put this book down along the way!

"Killing Me Softly" is an apt title for this one. The story plays out slowly and seductively, raising the level of tension as you read along. While you may feel that you can predict what the ending will likely be, it's really the ride that matters most. The story begins with Alice leaving her safe, comfortable, long-term relationship with Jake for a stranger she meets, literally, on the street. Adam is sexy and intense, and eas
Camille
Sep 10, 2010 Camille rated it really liked it
Killing Me Softly by Nicci French is a true page-turner. Immediately the novel pulls you into the intense love affair of Alice and Adam and you just devour the words to find out where this passionate love will lead.

Alice is involved with Jake, her comfortable live-in boyfriend of some years when one day walking to work she locks eyes with a handsome stranger, briefly they exchange an intense staring session but eventually continue to their separate designations. Leaving for lunch Alice notices t
Jan 14, 2013 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wrote-review
If only negative stars were possible!! This is one of the worst books I've ever read. Alice meets Adam and quickly falls in love. Nearly as quickly, the relationship turns abusive. The more Alice learns about him, the clearer it is that Adam is dangerous. Despite the severe change in her behavior and exposed bruises since meeting him, her concerns about his past are dismissed by friends because Adam is just such a great guy. I won't give too many details about the end other then, even though she ...more
P
Aug 02, 2013 P rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Technically, this is not a "first-read," since it was first published in 1999, but I did win it in a Goodreads giveaway. The book is subtitled "A Novel of Obsession," and they aren't kidding! Known for writing psychological thrillers, the husband-wife team Nicci French delivers a compelling, fast-paced story that had me from the first page. The premise, to me, is not particularly believable: a man and a woman spot each other on the street and, practically without exchanging a word, immediately f ...more
Lauma
Feb 27, 2015 Lauma rated it liked it
ideja bija interesanta, bet kaut kas tur pietrūka pienācīgai sižeta iznešanai līdz galam. daudz kas palika pārāk ieskicēts. patika, ka nejutu, ka lasu divu autoru grāmatu. vakar iesāku un pabeidzu.
Dec 31, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Elusive
May 12, 2016 Elusive rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
In ‘Killing Me Softly’, Alice Loudon has everything anyone could possibly want – a stable life, a loving boyfriend, a circle of friends and the job of her dreams. One fateful morning, she notices a strikingly handsome man from across the street and their eye contact quickly leads to a full-blown passionate affair. When Alice decides to leave her old life behind in order to start a new one with Adam (who’s a mountain climber), little does she know that it could spell the end of her life.

From the
Eve Kay
Aug 29, 2015 Eve Kay rated it did not like it
Oh no.
No, no, no. I have no idea what 50 Shades of Gray is like but I can imagine it being something along these lines. An author trying to tell a story about something they heard of or read about and writing a story about it in a way they think or, rather, imagine things would go. I didn't believe any of it. None.
Kris
Nov 09, 2014 Kris rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller, mystery, drama
Publishers Weekly
A critically acclaimed, bestselling British author (The Memory Game), French makes her American debut with a stunning novel of sexual obsession. Alice Loudon has a wonderful boyfriend, Jake; a nice apartment in London; good friends; and a satisfying job as a research manager in a pharmaceutical company. On her way to work one morning, she locks eyes with a handsome man dressed in black, and cannot get him out of her mind. Later that day, she finds him waiting for her and she plu
Raisa
3 ~ 3.5 stars!

wow! what a rollercoaster ride of emotions this book messed me up. the romance was fast-paced. with panty dropping hot scenes. BUT the angst! this book wrecked me literally.

this is no book of love, its a book about obsession and man... i got sucked in the story. this is a really good book for those who love angsty fucked up reads.
clusterfuck of emotions and all. also this made me sad but well it seems i'm a sucker for this types of books! i ove them.

the book is about Alice she li
Els
Nov 23, 2015 Els rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Al veel over gehoord, maar nog nooit iets van gelezen. Ik wist precies niet goed of het wel iets voor mij zou zijn of niet. Toen mijn nichtje haar boekenkast opruimde en ik dit boek in handen kreeg, besloot ik mij er aan te wagen.
De titel is een doordenkertje maar heel goed gekozen. Je snapt hem eigenlijk maar volledig nadat je het boek uit hebt. Ook over de cover is heel goed nagedacht en ik vind het subliem gevonden.
Toen ik de korte inhoud las, was ik benieuwd maar al snel was ik teleurgesteld
Steffi
Oct 30, 2015 Steffi rated it really liked it
I was a bit reluctant to read this book, based on some of the scathing reviews - not only of the book itself, but of the main character, Alice Loudon. Mainly criticized for the way her character was drawn (in a nutshell: unbelievable and stupid), I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to waste my time feeling frustrated and pissed off at a character in a book. I must preface what I'm about to say with the fact that I get it. I get why people found this character unbelievable and stupid. However.....if ...more
Lisa
Sep 09, 2015 Lisa rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller-mystery
This is by far one of the worst books I have read in recent years. Promoted as "compulsive, sexy, scary", it's actually a repetitive, predictable and monotonous story about Alice Loudon, a self-sabotaging and incredibly naive woman who leaves her steady, loving partner for Adam, an overtly abusive prick (only to discover - shock, horror! - that he's an abusive prick). The supposedly 'sexy' scenes are mostly just Adam saying "I want to f*** you" in a sinister voice to Alice, bizarrely intersperse ...more
Heather Leonard
May 28, 2013 Heather Leonard rated it it was amazing
This book had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. This one book I could not put down and found myself slowing down trying to read slower to prolong the end. The relationship between the two characters is so passionate. This is not a classic murder mystery. This story take you on an emotional roller coaster which leaves you breathless in the end.
Nicole
Aug 23, 2013 Nicole rated it it was ok
Shelves: firstreads
I won this book on a Goodreads Firsts Reads giveaway. It was not exactly what I expected. I did not like the book at all, however, I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because it seemed like the author did a great job writing it and researching intense information. I did not like the story line. I will not read any more of this author's work, if she has any.
Maxine
Mar 03, 2015 Maxine rated it really liked it
I was very surprised by this book. I have read many Nicci French novels and by and large have not been bowled over by them. For the first third of this novel I thought it would be the same, but I was wrong.

I gave this 4 stars rather than five, because the first part of the book does require you to suspend your belief in normal adult behaviour. The main character goes home and sleeps with a man off the street and then marries him within two months- now my life isn't like that and I don't know an
  • Close-up
  • Herfstlied
  • Terug naar de kust
  • De geur van regen (Paul Vegter #3)
  • Oversteken
  • Daglicht
  • Broeinest
  • Skull Session
  • Things We Knew Were True
  • Sukkerdøden (Cato Isaksen #8)
Note: (Nicci Gerrard and Sean French also write separately.)

Nicci Gerrard was born in June 1958 in Worcestershire. After graduating with a first class honours degree in English Literature from Oxford University, she began her first job, working with emotionally disturbed children in Sheffield. In that same year she married journalist Colin Hughes.

In the early eighties she taught English Literature
More about Nicci French...

“I don't want you to be interested in my life. I want you to be interested in me.” 38 likes
“If you behave as if you are all right, then one day you will be. You have to go through the motions of surviving in order to survive.” 5 likes