Start by marking “Killing Me Softly” as Want to Read:

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  3,683 ratings  ·  294 reviews
Now that you've read GONE GIRL...

Alice Loudon has it all: a devoted boyfriend, a marvelous circle of friends, a challenging job as a research scientist. Then one morning, on her way to work, she exchanges a lingering look with a devastatingly attractive man. Adam Tallis is the essence of every female fantasy--a daring mountain climber who has been hailed as a hero. As a lo
Published January 5th 2006 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Killing Me Softly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Me Softly

Buggy
Opening Line: “He knew he was going to die.”

Killing Me Softly is a love story but not in the typical sense; it’s obsessive, all consuming, violent, intense, desperate and ultimately terrifying. And oh my god is it good. I literally could not put this down.

If I could compare this book to anything I would say that initially it reminded me of a combination of 9 weeks and that Richard Gere/Diane Lane movie from a few years ago (Unfaithful) -based on the passion, intensity and utter randomness of o
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
This book surprised me. It was not what I expected. To be honest, the book’s description on the back cover doesn’t give too much details on what it’s about and when I first began to read it, I asked myself “Why did I pick this one up”? Maybe it was because I got it on clearance for a buck @ the local bookshop. Nonetheless, I am happy I picked this one up. It turned out to be suspenseful and a good read. Here is what this book is about since the book description lacks some knowledge.

Alice meets A
Monique
Man can I give this book a 3.5..LOL anyways I really did enjoy this book as it is subtitled as A Novel of Obsession and that is exactly what she was, obsessed, like to the extreme..Okay so the book starts out with an ordinary woman just like any one of us in a great relationship with a guy who is comfortable with her, and wants to marry her--she has a great circle of college friends and a great job as a scientific researcher for a female contraceptive..everything a thirty-something woman could w ...more
Mystique
Maybe I'm just jaded, but I expect MORE from my mysteries! MORE MORE MORE!
Predictable, predictable, predictable.
Beach read, definitely.

The first 60% of the book just made me mad. Alice has a good, healthy, strong relationship with Jake, but as all we weak women are, she's lured out of it by the promise of a roll in the hay with studly Adam. There...I just summed up in one sentence what it took the author 60% of the book to say.

The book only gets interesting (and mildly so at that) in the final 4
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This book is excellent, and got me snapping up every Nicci French book I could find. Just please, please don't watch the movie! It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen! If I had seen the movie first I would never have read the book.
Livvy
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

This was part of my library loot from a couple of weeks ago. I haven’t read too many thrillers, but I do enjoy reading them. The premise for this book sounded very intense and brooding and we really hit these moments at times and then others I felt the book flopped a little. However this does not mean to say I didn’t find this book a page turner because it certainly was. I devoured it happily in a couple of sittings throughout one day. It’s not a long read at around 360 pages
Priscilla Mensah
I will first start by saying that i think its a really good book and makes me think about human nature which i love to do. so Alice our heroine has a satisfactory boyfriend, job and friends. while she is in this life she feels quite happy until she sees Adam across the street. their attraction is palpable and she does something out of character, she looses her head and follows her emotions; she becomes obsessed with him and he with her. Adam is a mountain climber and it seems that his past is da ...more
Barbara Elsborg
Chilling. I love the way the book starts and then backtracks. Doesn't always work but it does here. The authors show how deep obsession can go, how the victim can be pulled in without even realising it's happening, and even when they do, it's still difficult to believe what's going on. Adam is a damaged individual. So kind and caring, so vile and manipulative. Well drawn characters all round. I've read this book twice - psychological suspense novels don't come better than this. Not a romance!
Thom Swennes
Killing Me Softly
You’re happy. You are pleased with your life. You have a job that you enjoy and you are good at it. You have a partner that loves you and you are even considering starting a family. One day, that all changes, you see a stranger and everything changes. With hardly a word you follow him and are willingly sexually seduced. This is the life of Alice Loudon. She meets Adam and everything changes. Life is no longer mundane but is this new, all consuming passion, really what she wants.
NancyHelen
I'm sorry to say that I thought this book was truly awful. I found it neither gripping nor thrilling. Irritating and unbelievable were probably better adjectives. Alice was so naive I wanted to smack her and the 'bad guy' was so obviously sinister, anyone who didn't notice it must have had their head buried in the sand. I didn't find the conclusion particularly convincing either. It's the first Nicci French I have read and I have a feeling it might be the last.

Sorry all, but it was just not for
Nolan
It all begins as an incredible adventure into passion that gets more exhilarating with each passing moment. Alice Loudon lives a quiet London life. She has a relatively nondescript boyfriend with whom she lives, and friends who eagerly include her in their circle of activities.

That all changes on a fateful day when she exchanges a lingering look with a man who utterly shakes her up and rearranges every aspect of her life. They ultimately engage in a frothy quickie in his flat, and his skills as
Chrissy
Okay, this book is like a lifetime movie meets Showtime. Another one of my guilty pleasures. This is a curl yourself in a blanket and never get up book. It's a bad car accident. You're surprised you're so interested and a little disappointed in yourself, but you can't peel yourself away!
Zoeytron
Another reviewer mentioned something to the effect that this book reminded her of one of those cheesy made-for-TV movies on Lifetime. I wholeheartedly concur. Cannot think of a better way to phrase it. Period.

This was a First-reads giveaway, thank you.
Miss Hartigan
Jun 15, 2011 Miss Hartigan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: psychology and relationship enthusiasts
Recommended to Miss Hartigan by: myself
Again, I pulled an alnighter just to finish reading it. I tried time and time again to put it down so I can get some sleep, but couldn't. I found the end to be anti climatic though.
Kelly
Wow! I could barely force myself to put this book down along the way!

"Killing Me Softly" is an apt title for this one. The story plays out slowly and seductively, raising the level of tension as you read along. While you may feel that you can predict what the ending will likely be, it's really the ride that matters most. The story begins with Alice leaving her safe, comfortable, long-term relationship with Jake for a stranger she meets, literally, on the street. Adam is sexy and intense, and eas
Camille
Killing Me Softly by Nicci French is a true page-turner. Immediately the novel pulls you into the intense love affair of Alice and Adam and you just devour the words to find out where this passionate love will lead.

Alice is involved with Jake, her comfortable live-in boyfriend of some years when one day walking to work she locks eyes with a handsome stranger, briefly they exchange an intense staring session but eventually continue to their separate designations. Leaving for lunch Alice notices t
If only negative stars were possible!! This is one of the worst books I've ever read. Alice meets Adam and quickly falls in love. Nearly as quickly, the relationship turns abusive. The more Alice learns about him, the clearer it is that Adam is dangerous. Despite the severe change in her behavior and exposed bruises since meeting him, her concerns about his past are dismissed by friends because Adam is just such a great guy. I won't give too many details about the end other then, even though she ...more
P
Technically, this is not a "first-read," since it was first published in 1999, but I did win it in a Goodreads giveaway. The book is subtitled "A Novel of Obsession," and they aren't kidding! Known for writing psychological thrillers, the husband-wife team Nicci French delivers a compelling, fast-paced story that had me from the first page. The premise, to me, is not particularly believable: a man and a woman spot each other on the street and, practically without exchanging a word, immediately f ...more
Lauma
ideja bija interesanta, bet kaut kas tur pietrūka pienācīgai sižeta iznešanai līdz galam. daudz kas palika pārāk ieskicēts. patika, ka nejutu, ka lasu divu autoru grāmatu. vakar iesāku un pabeidzu.
Kris
Publishers Weekly
A critically acclaimed, bestselling British author (The Memory Game), French makes her American debut with a stunning novel of sexual obsession. Alice Loudon has a wonderful boyfriend, Jake; a nice apartment in London; good friends; and a satisfying job as a research manager in a pharmaceutical company. On her way to work one morning, she locks eyes with a handsome man dressed in black, and cannot get him out of her mind. Later that day, she finds him waiting for her and she plu
Raisa
3 ~ 3.5 stars!

wow! what a rollercoaster ride of emotions this book messed me up. the romance was fast-paced. with panty dropping hot scenes. BUT the angst! this book wrecked me literally.

this is no book of love, its a book about obsession and man... i got sucked in the story. this is a really good book for those who love angsty fucked up reads.
clusterfuck of emotions and all. also this made me sad but well it seems i'm a sucker for this types of books! i ove them.

the book is about Alice she li
Heather Leonard
This book had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. This one book I could not put down and found myself slowing down trying to read slower to prolong the end. The relationship between the two characters is so passionate. This is not a classic murder mystery. This story take you on an emotional roller coaster which leaves you breathless in the end.
Nicole Long
I won this book on a Goodreads Firsts Reads giveaway. It was not exactly what I expected. I did not like the book at all, however, I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because it seemed like the author did a great job writing it and researching intense information. I did not like the story line. I will not read any more of this author's work, if she has any.
Maxine
I was very surprised by this book. I have read many Nicci French novels and by and large have not been bowled over by them. For the first third of this novel I thought it would be the same, but I was wrong.

I gave this 4 stars rather than five, because the first part of the book does require you to suspend your belief in normal adult behaviour. The main character goes home and sleeps with a man off the street and then marries him within two months- now my life isn't like that and I don't know an
Kim
My first reading from the crime writing duo of Nicci Gerrard and Sean French. This was a really pleasant surprise, that is if you can call sexual abuse and coercive control pleasant? It is an uncomfortable read but well executed. The characters have good shape and the plot line is twisty and believable. The suspense builds nicely and towards the end a real page turner. From the beginning you realise there is something very wrong. The deterioration of the main character is good but not over playe ...more
Aimen
From the book- this one scene summarises everything up so perfectly:
"'How did you guys meet?' he asked.
'We saw each other on the street.'
'And that was that?'
'Yes.'
'You just saw each other and leaped into bed?'
'Yes."
'It's just lust, Alice. You can't throw away your whole life for lust.'"

There's the whole story and my feelings towards everything. The main character was so -_- hard to believe some bimbo character even lasted through a job.
I read this for the psychological thriller aspect- there wa
Aunty Janet
This is a nasty (in a kind of good way!) psychological thriller. Not for the feint hearted! Gripping and builds to a fascinating climax. This is the first I have read by these authors, but will be looking out for them in future.
Fiona
All i can say is wow!especially,to all girls out there,you gotta love this book.A love story on the brink of insanity for sure.Scary,passionate,obsessive, just too much to take at once.I loved every page.
I loved this book so much! it was fast paced, strange and captivating!

I loved all the twists and turns throughout and though you can guess some of the plot the twists do keep you on your toes.
  • Rendez-vous
  • Herfstlied
  • Terug naar de kust
  • Daglicht
  • Things We Knew Were True
  • Acid Row
  • De stille zonde (Paul Vegter #1)
  • Skull Session
  • Set In Stone
  • Girl Code
  • Suspicious Origin
Note: (Nicci Gerrard and Sean French also write separately.)

Nicci Gerrard was born in June 1958 in Worcestershire. After graduating with a first class honours degree in English Literature from Oxford University, she began her first job, working with emotionally disturbed children in Sheffield. In that same year she married journalist Colin Hughes.

In the early eighties she taught English Literature
More about Nicci French...
Blue Monday (Frieda Klein, #1) Tuesday's Gone (Frieda Klein, #2) Beneath the Skin Secret Smile The Red Room

“I don't want you to be interested in my life. I want you to be interested in me.” 33 likes
“If you behave as if you are all right, then one day you will be. You have to go through the motions of surviving in order to survive.” 5 likes