Start by marking “Magnolia Creek” as Want to Read:
Magnolia Creek

Magnolia Creek

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  159 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
One of the most beloved authors in women’s fiction today, Jill Marie Landis touches the heart as she illuminates every exhilarating page with natural warmth and tenderness. Now, in her stirring new novel, Landis takes readers to a place where pride can be as unforgiving as the past and finding the courage to love again will be nothing short of a miracle.

On the eve of the C
Published July 30th 2002 by Ballantine Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Magnolia Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magnolia Creek

kate
An Odd1
Jan 31, 2011 An Odd1 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xrate
*** "Magnolia Creek" is a Kentucky mill town, just after the Confederate-Union war ends. I like the apparent internal consistency, better than Heat Wave or Lover's Lane, also by Jill Landis. Although characters still wallow in their pasts too much, the serious bloody war conditions and many deaths in the story, justify sad heavy emotion in what elsewise would be a light romance. I dislike woo woo voodoo and how lust equals love.
The Talbot mill was destroyed by the army and can no longer finance
Peggy
Jul 31, 2010 Peggy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the aftermath of the Civil War, this was an ok book about the Talbot Family and their friends family and neighbors. Magnolia Creek is a very small town of 350 inhabitants in Southern Kentucky. The townspeople were split whether to support the North of South during the war. Dr. Dru Talbot chose to serve in the Southern Army and was reported dead by a family friend. His young wife, Sara, who was living in the family home with Dru's semi-invalid sister, Lou, took off with a Northern Lt. afte ...more
Pam
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Historical Romance/2002/367 pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: Stand Alone
TIME/PLACE: 1860's/Kentucky
CHARACTERS: Sara Collier/wife to Dr. Dru Talbot
FIRST LINES:A young woman clothed in widow's weeds rode in the back of a crude farm wagon & watched the landscape roll by through a cascading ebony veil draped over the wide brim of her black hat.

COMMENTS: Sweet romance. Sara's from a poor family on the other side
Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it really liked it
HB-B @ 2002, 10/02. On the eve of the Civil War, Sara marries Dru, just before he rides off to join the Confederate Army. Dru is killed on the battlefield, and Sara refuses to mourn her life away. She runs away with a Union soldier, has a daughter out of wedlock, and returns to Magnolia Creek and outcast. A year after the end of the war, Dru returns home to find his life turned upside down. Very good romance.
Lisa
Light easy romance read. Written nicely, but very predictable.
Dawn
It was really good !!!
Kathryn
Jan 20, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book, I enjoyed it as much as I did her other books that I've read. I cried a lot over the story line... but I'm probably just extra emotional. It is a historical romance... but its not your typical story. I give it a 9 out of 10. :) (10 being the best) I think this story would appeal to those who don't like the normal mushy romances. :)
Jeanne
May 13, 2011 Jeanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
Dramatic civil war romance. Dr. Dru Talbot returns home to Kentucky after his family has been told he was killed in the war. His wife Sara has a young daughter and his sister is destitute. Yellow fever ravages the town but love conquers all.
Kendall Sherman
Feb 06, 2012 Kendall Sherman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved this book, I sometimes catch myself skimming back over my favorite parts.
Holly
May 28, 2011 Holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story about coming home from the civil war and all the changes in peoples lives.
Loretta
Another book I read before and enjoyed very much....
Linda
Mar 09, 2009 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. A little slow in the beginning, but picked up towards the middle.
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Lauconn
Lauconn rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Ruzza
Ruzza marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Winona
Winona marked it as to-read
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Kate
Kate added it
Michele Reavis
Michele Reavis marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Lorene Lemond
Lorene Lemond rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Raelee Choins
Raelee Choins marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Tamara Hicklin
Tamara Hicklin marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Civil War Era Romance- Help? [s] 7 295 Oct 07, 2014 06:16PM
  • Dangerous Passions (Kingsland, #2)
  • Wanted: One Special Kiss (Starlight Trilogy, #2)
  • The Arrangement
  • A Forbidden Love
  • My Love, My Enemy
  • Terms of Surrender
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • The Wedding Night
  • Reconstructing Jackson
  • Princess Charming (Men from Special Branch, #2)
  • No Choice But Surrender
  • Highland Legacy: Four Generations of Love Are Rooted in Scotland
  • A Gentleman By Any Other Name (Romney Marsh, #1)
  • Surrender to Love
  • Once Upon a Kiss
  • Treasured Vows
  • Love and the Single Heiress (Regency, #2)
  • An Independent Woman (Women and Men, #1)
JILL MARIE LANDIS is the bestselling author of nearly thirty novels which have appeared on the NYT bestseller list, USA Today and other national bestseller lists. She has won numerous awards for her heartfelt characters and sweeping emotional historical romances that include SUMMER MOON and MAGNOLIA CREEK and the Irish Angels Series; HEART OF STONE, HEART OF LIES, and HEART OF GLASS. All of her Hi ...more
More about Jill Marie Landis...