Start by marking “Isle Of Dogs (Andy Brazil, #3)” as Want to Read:
Isle Of Dogs (Andy Brazil, #3)

Isle Of Dogs (Andy Brazil #3)

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  5,460 ratings  ·  236 reviews
Chaos breaks loose when the governor of Virginia orders that speed traps be painted on all streets and highways, and warns that speeders will be caught by monitoring aircraft flying overhead. But the eccentric island of Tangier, fourteen miles off the coast of Virginia in the Chesapeake Bay, responds by declaring war on its own state. Judy Hammer, newly installed as the su ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Berkley (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Isle Of Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isle Of Dogs

Lew
May 26, 2014 Lew rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
I'm surprised that I even finished this book. It is one of the worst books I have ever read. I'm a big fan of Scarpetti books but don't read this. I not sure it even rates a star
The only possible redeeming quality of this book is it could be used as fire kindling. This could quite possibly be the worst book ever.
Linda
This was a huge waste of time. I kept thinking it would get better....it didn't! Too many characters - none likeable, plot (if you can call it that) too confusing.
If this had been the first Patricia Cornwell book I had read, I would never have picked up another. As it is, guess everyone is allowed a bad one once in awhile.
Laura Ramos
Skip it -- she tried to write humor, but should have stuck with the Scarpetta formula that works.
Suzie
I couldn't continue with this one. Far from the typical Patricia Cornewell books.
Nanosynergy
This is an absolutely terrible book! Cornwell is author of the Kay Scarpetta series (which I highly recommend for readers of this genre - particularly the earlier books in the series). In fact, the Scarpetta books are considered an influence in the development of the fictional, forensic television series (like CSI).

However, Isle of Dogs is not part of the Scarpetta series. I couldn't even slog through to the end in audio format. Wincing in embarrassment for the author, I went online to check out
Linda
This was quite possibly, not only the worst book I have ever read by Patricia Cornwell, but the worst book I have ever read hands down. What a disappointment. I've kept up with the Kay Scarpetta series (which has also been going downhill in the last few books), and thought I'd branch out and read the other series she has written. The Win Garrano series wasn't bad, and was short and sweet (which made it tolerable). However, the Andy Brazil series takes the cake. Hornets Nest (first in the series) ...more
Ralph McEwen
The story is silly and some what funny and a little scary. The scary part is that I really believe that there are self indulgent politicians with self involved family members, crooked cops and enough stupid people to make this almost a true story. I listened to this as a audio book and am now wishing that there was a way to rated the narration separate from the book. I would rate the book as a 2, but the narrator should be given 4 stars. She did a wonderful job creating separate voices and diale ...more
Tamela
I was a die-hard Cornwell fan and even stuck with her when the quality of her writing began to go downhill. Because her early books were so compelling, I kept believing in her long after her gold had turned to dross. However, "Isle of Dogs" was the straw that finally broke the camel's back. It's clear to me that Patricia Cornwell has lost respect for her fans and thinks they'll buy whatever she's selling, no matter how poorly written. Is this what happens when authors start believing their own P ...more
Kay
Jan 01, 2008 Kay rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO one
Shelves: mystery
How bad can you rate a book? I feel like a liar for giving it one star- surely there is a minus star I can put. I've been reading Cornwell since she started writing and have enjoyed her books. This one is still not finished [and only the 2nd book in my life I haven't been able to finish!] I believe she was drunk the entire time she wrote an took bad advice from a bartender [no offense to bartenders!].
Marcie Kreter
I only put this book on my list because it was by far the worst book I have ever read. If I could give it negative stars I would. I even wrote to the publisher demanding my money back. Story is horribly unbelievable bordering on plain stupid. It has talking crabs- enough said. I already think Patricia's writing style is questionable and this book only highlighted her weakness.
Sheryl
I give this book one star only because it is easy to read. I was taught to find something nice to say or don't say anything at all. This one makes that a challenge. Complete with talking blue crabs and trout, the story-line in Isle of Dogs is unbelievable and the characters shallow. I would not recommend this book.
Kathryn
Though I appreciate the fact that she is apparently trying to spread her wings from the typical Scarpetta novels, this misses it for me. There are places that simply left me shaking my head, wondering how the book could have made it onto the bestsellers list. But I won't give up on her yet....
Lorna
I love Patricia Cornwell, but this book is convoluted and all over places. I'm about 100 pages into the book, and the main plot has barely been touched. I hate giving up on books, but this one is being returned to the library without being finished.
Vinita
I keep thinking that there were redeeming qualities about the book - but I can't think of any right now...perhaps the history angle? Not sure what to make of it...
Connie
This was an absolutely stupid book. The author's attempts at humor fall short of the mark. Read the Kay Scarpetta novels, but do not waste time on this one.
woody
Absolute drivel! Do not read Patricia Cornwell's Andy Brazil series. It is lousy.
Her Kay Scarpetta series is good though.
William Potter
This is the worst Cornwell book I have read. The other non-Scarpetta books were okay this one...I could not even finsh.
Mike
Read part of this one years ago. I'm pretty sure I gave up when the fish started talking.
Sam
This is the first Patricia Cornwell book I've read and I must admit I was immensely underwhelmed by it. The synopsis on the cover suggested that this would be an intriguing crime thriller with a bit of humour and some quirky characters thrown in for good measure but that's not quite how it worked. Instead the eccentricities of the characters took over the story, which was flimsy at best, and resulted in a poor imitation of a Monty Python sketch. While the story did progress at pace there were ma ...more
Catten
If you're looking for a good Kay Scarpetta adventure, skip this book. While the spirited Quincy-like ME appears in this novel, she's just a bit player. Part of the Andy Brazil series, Isle of Dogs turned out, for me anyway, to be a bust. (FYI, Hornet's Nest and Southern Cross were this book's predecessors.)

Jumping off from her more serious writing, Cornwell takes a breather, it seems, and penned this odd 400+ page story of pirates, politics, murder, and anthropomorphic* fish, crabs, and dogs.

The
Rachel
I agree with many of the reviewers that this was Cornwell's worst book I've read, though I would fall short of calling it horrible. But it was ridiculous, yet not ridiculous enough to be funny. But then it also wasn't serious enough to be taken seriously - it was kind of the worst of both worlds. Even the names in the Andy Brazil series were ridiculous, like "Windy Breezes" and "Virginia West." I guess the part about the island was mildly interesting - that's the best I can say about this book.
Stephanie
Jan 28, 2008 Stephanie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
I'd give this 0 stars if I could - my friend recommended Patricia Cornwell to me and this was the first one I tried. Which I've heard was an odd one, not her regular shtick. But I really disliked just about everything about this book, I think I finished it to give it a fair shake, but I don't remember much except some stupid small details.
Kerry
If you've read ‘Hornets Nest’ and ‘Southern Cross’, and like me, absolutely loved the relationship between Deputy Chief Virginia West and her young protégée, Andy Brazil, don’t read ‘Isle of Dogs’.

In fact, there’s little reason to read ‘Isle of Dogs’ at all, as it’s a complete disaster of a novel. The plot is the thinnest of Cornwell’s books to date, following Brazil, as he explores what can only be described as the adoption of a ‘Gossip Girl’ persona, and Chief of Police, Judy Hammer, fighting
Noah Turner
The characters were stereotypical and lacking any real depth to bring them to life and the plot was predictable. A true disappointment from a writer who has shown she is capable of much more. I can only imagine she was going through a difficult time in her life and driven by a publisher who pushing for a deadline.
Cindi
I actually stopped reading this book. I didn't find it engaging and couldn't get into it. It might have been my mood at that point in time, but I doubt it. It's more likely that I expected the stellar quality Cornwell I've come to expect and was thoroughly disappointed when I didn't find it here.
Rachel
Patricia Cornwell is a smart writer. Though she's a crime novelist and a bestseller, her books aren't fluff that is easily read in a day. I usually enjoy her novels, but this one had some really unusual elements and unbelievable coincidences in plot & among characters. A bit of a disappointment.
Heather
Jun 28, 2008 Heather marked it as tried-to-read
Shelves: mystery-modern
I started this book, but it didn't grab me. Didn't like it as well as her other series. I think I read one or two others of this series and enjoyed them, but the premise here is silly and some of the characters are a little too ridiculous.
Heidi
Least favorite of her books... if you want a comic romp involving shady government officials... try Sick Puppy by Carl Hiassen... he does this kind of book so much better!
Michael Peters
I can not say I love Hammer like Scarpetta but its nice she doesn't need Scarpetta to get her creative juices flowing.
  • The Complete Patricia Cornwell Companion
  • Survival of the Fittest (Alex Delaware, #12)
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald Mysteries #8)
  • Cold Heart (Lorraine Page, #3)
  • The Hanged Man's Song (Kidd & LuEllen, #4)
  • With Friends Like These... (Amanda Pepper, #4)
  • Double Homicide
  • Adam and Eve and Pinch Me
  • Shock
  • Capital Crimes
  • Stolen (Tavistock Family, #2)
  • A Fatal Vineyard Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #10)
  • Sentenced to Die (J.P. Beaumont, #1-3)
  • Grave Secrets (Temperance Brennan, #5)
  • McNally's Alibi
Patricia Cornwell sold her first novel, Postmortem, while working as a computer analyst at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond, Virginia. At her first signing, held during a lunch break from the morgue, Patricia sold no copies of Postmortem and fielded exactly one question – an elderly woman asked her where she could find the cookbooks.

Postmortem would go on to win the Edgar, Cre
More about Patricia Cornwell...
Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1) Cruel & Unusual (Kay Scarpetta, #4) The Body Farm (Kay Scarpetta, #5) Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta, #2) Point of Origin (Kay Scarpetta, #9)