Start by marking “An Improper Companion” as Want to Read:
An Improper Companion

An Improper Companion

2.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  14 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
A DEVIL'S CHOICE

Heather Wade faced a thoroughly devilish dilemma when she heard the astounding proposal of the wealthy and notorious Sir Leslie Kinwell. This man who had brutishly dishonored her virtue now calmly announced she was to become his wife.

If she refused, she would be sent from Kinwell's castle -- to be cast alone, penniless, and shamed on the streets of London.
Mass Market Paperback
Published March 1st 1983 by Signet (first published February 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about An Improper Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Improper Companion

Meh, what a snooze.

I was hoping this would be some kind of HQN/Regency hybrid (because the "guy mistakes girl for prostitute" plot is classic WTFery), but it's just plain dull. The heroine is dumb as a stump (I daresay stumps have more common sense) & the hero is a bland man-child who sulks because his nosy sister likes to visit. Sexy!

Seriously, this heroine is one of the most immature 18-year-olds I've ever had the displeasure to encounter. I don't care how inexperienced, impoverished, or
KatieV
I won't rate something that I didn't finish. The reason I didn't finish is because life is too short and my tbr list is too long to continue with something that doesn't grab me. I'm not saying it was awful, I just got bored once the marriage occurred. Also it's in first person and while I think it can be done well, it's not my favorite style.

Actually it's a plot that is well used in Harlequin Presents novels. Hero thinks heroine is a prostitute, etc. has sex with her and then realizes she's a vi
Spazfungus
Sep 20, 2014 Spazfungus rated it it was ok
written in the first person, interesting plot, frustrated at all the character's stupidity and inability to talk, the emeralds were a nice touch

(view spoiler)
Emily
Apr 26, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
Just when it got good, it was the last page. So much build up for nothing. If there was at least two more chapters I would have truly liked the book.
Suzanne
Suzanne is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2016
ARomanceLover
ARomanceLover marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
BonnieL
BonnieL rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2015
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jul 14, 2015
Cindy Warner
Cindy Warner marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
. rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2015
Lynne Tull
Lynne Tull marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Sheifali Khare
Sheifali Khare marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Maleka
Maleka rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Elyse Grimes
Elyse Grimes marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Roub
Roub marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Ibrahim
Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Jadwa
Jadwa rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Netanella
Netanella marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Sara
Sara added it
Oct 16, 2014
Deanna Anderson
Deanna Anderson rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014