Start by marking “Food To Die For: Secrets From Kay Scarpetta's Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Food To Die For: Secrets From Kay Scarpetta's Kitchen

Food To Die For: Secrets From Kay Scarpetta's Kitchen

The millions of fans who read Patricia Cornwell's bestsellers know that her popular character, Kay Scarpetta, loves to unwind in the kitchen. Book after book finds her tapping into her Italian heritage to create delicious meals for herself and her friends.Brimming with full-color photographs and inspired by dozens of food scenes in Kay's kitchen and favorite restaurants, F ...more
Published October 7th 2003 by Berkley (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Food To Die For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food To Die For

Julie H.
Nov 07, 2011 Julie H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook-cooking
I'm an avid Patricia Cornwell fan, and have always been impressed by her character Kay Scarpetta's ability to whip up delicious fare in the midst of turmoil at the office. This cookbook lists several recipes associated with 11 well-known entries in the Scarpetta series. Each is introduced with a set-up from the book, so the recipes are always tied back into the stories--as opposed to simply a series spinoff, variations on recipes are offered in box text, and there are 40 or so high-quality color ...more
Edel
Dec 28, 2012 Edel rated it it was amazing
Kathy Scantle
Apr 03, 2010 Kathy Scantle rated it it was amazing
I can always count on Patricia Cornwell to whip up a light and fluffy novel. When I heard she wrote a cookbook based on food prepared in her Kay Scarpetta novels, I knew I would have to check this out. Kay Scarpetta is the starring character in several of Cornwell's novels. She is a brilliant medical examiner who solves crimes, catches the serial killer, and in general, saves the day. Cornwell does not leave any details out of her novels concerning the grisly murders, autopsies, etc. I was expec ...more
Everbright
Feb 21, 2013 Everbright rated it it was amazing
The chocolate chip cookies recipe is worth the price of the entire book. Best I've ever had. My family loves them. I had a copy of this from years back and lost it, and took me forever to track down another just to get that recipe!
Caroline Mathews
Jun 13, 2015 Caroline Mathews rated it really liked it

I was searching for a recipe the other day and decided to try to find it in Patricia Cornwell's Food to Die For. As I thought, there the sauce was, timeless and beautifully photographed.

I bought the book around 2003 and read it without duplicating any of the recipes in my own kitchen.

I reread Food to Die For a few years ago and recorded it on Goodreads. I had some Key limes at that time and made the pie recipe. I remember thinking how wonderful the book was to read, how beautiful the illustrat
Trish
Jul 08, 2014 Trish rated it really liked it
I picked this up at a library book sale and found a recipe for ravioli and can want to use my press that I found at an estate sale. The scene is set with a flashback to the part in whichever book the meal came from, making me go and start reading them all over again. The recipes are fantastic, easy to make, and taste great. Next time Kay Scarpetta whips up some of her fabulous pasta, I'll know just how good it is!
Carol
Jul 17, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mouth watering pictures and excerpts from these great murder mystery books, but I doubt I will ever make any of recipes. Fun to look through for ideas, though.
Crime Time Podcast
May 25, 2016 Crime Time Podcast rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eddie, lee
Crime Time Podcast is a massive Patricia Cornwell fan.

Finding Kay Scarpetta's cook book was a treat and we cooked our way through the Miami Style Chili with Beer. Delicious. Next up, the infamous Chocolate Chip Cookies. Is there a more special way to connect with fans of the books then to offer them the meals that Kay Scarpetta herself so generously cooks up in the series? Loved it. To check out the Miami Style Chili with Beer we cooked up and to listen to a Podcast dedicated to all things crim
Terelyn Marks
Jan 15, 2016 Terelyn Marks rated it really liked it
Some amazing recipes in this book! But I just don't ever see myself making my own pasta....
Rose Anderson
Jan 22, 2016 Rose Anderson rated it liked it
It was fun to see the various recipes Kay Scarpetta cooks in series of books.
Lori Mchugh
Feb 01, 2015 Lori Mchugh rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Love the chili and the stew in this book! Expensive to make though!
Denise Degregorio
Nov 01, 2014 Denise Degregorio rated it it was amazing
I cook several of these dishes. Love this cook book
Lyna
Oct 08, 2014 Lyna rated it really liked it
really enjoy the recipes!
Tien
Nov 12, 2008 Tien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, non-fiction
Disclaimer: I'm not a huge cook but I do like to cook sometimes & I am a Kay Scarpetta fan.

I love how this book explores the food in the series and gives me a chance to appreciate all the yummy description of what Kay Scarpetta enjoys as comfort food.

Whilst I find most recipes looks a little bit more complicated (ie. requires more effort on my part than I'd like to) there are at least half a dozen recipes I'd like to try. And I've even baked 'Lucy's favourite chocolate chip surprise cookies'
Lanni
Dec 29, 2015 Lanni added it
Awesome cookbook.
Elysse AKA EILIS Heller
Apr 08, 2015 Elysse AKA EILIS Heller rated it did not like it
IT'S A COOK BOOK
Amber
Oct 30, 2009 Amber rated it really liked it
I have followed the Kay Scarpetta's book series from it's beginning. I love the character of Scarpetta who is a Medical Examiner/Pathologist/Criminologist.
This book contains many of the recipes written about in the books. I loved reading the author's information about where the recipes came from, and great ways to serve them...
If you love Italian cooking, I recommend this book!
(Ok I admit that many of the recipes are more time consuming than I am willing to spend, but it's fun to dream.)
Karla
May 22, 2012 Karla rated it really liked it
Fabulous recipes in here. If you love Italian food, must try. Dan and I used to have every Thursday be "Italian Night"....we would try out a new recipe every Thursday with a bottle of wine. This was before the kids schedules became a priority of course..........maybe someday it will get back to that???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ho hum............
Helen
Apr 01, 2011 Helen rated it it was amazing
not read so much as cooked from!! Her recipes are definitely to die for & fairly easy to do as I'm a bit useless in the kitchen. If you want to do something a little different that sounds & looks posh & tastes delicious than this is the book for you!
Betty May
Feb 12, 2008 Betty May rated it it was amazing
This is wonderful. In addition to being a forensic expert, Kay Scarpetta is a great Italian cook - this is mentioned in the novels. When I saw this cookbook, it was a must have. 'fun because of the novels, but great recipes, too.
Gina
Jan 05, 2014 Gina rated it it was amazing
Best recipes ever!
Jean Christofferson
Sep 02, 2009 Jean Christofferson rated it liked it
Some of the recipes are good, but there aren't many "unique" recipes in here. She makes everything from scratch, so for those of us who are convenience cooks, it's probably not high on the list.
May 23, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Fun addition to the Scarpetta books. Tried a few of the recipes and I must say "pretty darn good." I also like that the recipes are categorized under the book they originated from.
Lisa
Feb 11, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
My aunt bought me this book for Christmas. I keep it on my kitchen counter and have made many recipes. I love the grilled pizza the best!
Allison
Jun 28, 2008 Allison rated it it was amazing
This is a cookbook, but a really good one. I have made a few of the recipes a few times now and they are becoming fast favorites.
Afloridagal
Jan 15, 2009 Afloridagal rated it it was amazing
I don't recall any other author doing this for their series. I think Evanovich should for Plum series :)
Jeanie Harper
Jan 15, 2014 Jeanie Harper rated it it was amazing
Haven't tried the receipes but they certainly sound delicious.

They are included in most of her books.

Elizabeth C L
Mar 14, 2011 Elizabeth C L marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
Her recipes make my mouth water while I read the novels, I would love to have this cookbook!
Suzie
Nov 30, 2008 Suzie rated it really liked it
I love her Kay Scarpetta books and now I can cook what I've been reading about in her stories.
Kimber
Oct 15, 2009 Kimber added it
I like how each recipie is tied to a scene and the characters in one of the books
  • The Complete Patricia Cornwell Companion
  • Behind the Yellow Tape: On the Road with Some of America's Hardest Working Crime Scene Investigators
  • The Healthy Kitchen: Recipes for a Better Body, Life, and Spirit
  • Oldman's Guide to Outsmarting Wine: 108 Ingenious Shortcuts to Navigate the World of Wine with Confidence and Style
  • The Herbfarm Cookbook
  • In the Kitchen with Rosie: Oprah's Favorite Recipes
  • From Julia Child's Kitchen
  • Goldy's Kitchen Cookbook: Cooking, Writing, Family, Life
  • Fear Games (Nightmare Room Thrillogy, #1)
  • Moosewood Restaurant Kitchen Garden: Creative Gardening for the Adventurous Cook
  • Lidia's Italy
  • Feasting on Asphalt: The River Run
  • High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton
  • The CSA Cookbook: No-Waste Recipes for Cooking Your Way Through a Community Supported Agriculture Box, Farmers' Market, or Backyard Bounty
  • The Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas
  • The Year of Eating Dangerously: A Global Adventure in Search of Culinary Extremes
  • The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book: Protect Yourself and Your Family from Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies--and More
  • Quick Fix Meals: 200 Simple, Delicious Recipes to Make Mealtime Easy
Patricia Cornwell sold her first novel, Postmortem, in 1990 while working as a computer analyst at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond, Virginia. Postmortem, was the first bona fide forensic thriller. It paved the way for an explosion of entertainment featuring in all things forensic across film, television and literature.

Postmortem would go on to win the Edgar, Creasey, Anthony,
More about Patricia Cornwell...