Start by marking “The Gospel According to Job: An Honest Look at Pain and Doubt from the Life of One Who Lost Everything” as Want to Read:

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Anyone who has suffered knows that there is no such thing as getting a grip on oneself or pulling oneself up by the bootstraps. The only bootstrap in the Christian life is the Cross, says Mason. So
Published January 1st 1994 by Crossway (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel According to Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel According to Job

Vanessa
Excellent expository
Monk
I had come across a new translation of Job, and I started browsing books on Job, which got me in the mood to read the book in the Bible, and I thought it would be nice to have an accompanying book that discusses Job from beginning to end, and this one by Mike Mason fit the bill, and it didn't disappoint. The commentary can be repetitious, but that may not be out of place in spiritual works, as one is not looking for a page-turner, but for food for the soul, and one may want some of the big, subl ...more
Lisa
Jun 11, 2013 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love to study the Bible
Mason has set this book up as a devotional, and it makes a very good one, but it is so much more. I loved his insights into Job and the gospel and life. I found myself wanting to share certain devotionals (each one is two pages and discusses topically a point made in the Book of Job from start to end) with friends and family. I could not limit myself to one section a day, but would usually read about 3 each day, and sometimes go back and mull over ones that really made me think. I would definite ...more
Buddy Draper
I loved using this as a resource for our devotional series at the Academy.
Gabrielle
An open and honest look at Christianity and pain, through the life of Job. It takes some time to read, but in doing so it's easier to take in some of the valuable things that are in this book. Mike Mason doesn't skirt around some of the difficult questions and moments in life. The book doesn't have all the answers, but it isn't afraid to ask the questions. I learned a lot from reading it.
Keith
If pain is your game and discouragement is your mantra, you need to read this book. Written by somebody who's been there and as well as an evaluation about THE person who's been there, pain is personified, defined and comfortingly covered. Even if you think you know Job, read this and find out what you don't know about yourself in the midst of your suffering.
Roger
In a great time of struggle in my life, I read this book. I was encouraged by nearly every page. The book is broken up into short devotionals--some of them reached out and grabbed me and from the Scripture I was comforted. We may tend to think that reading Job is a 'downer', but no, it is God's Word and it is profitable for us in our time of need.
I've been reading this book slowly for months now as a devotional (I'm about halfway through it - it's worth a longer more intentional pace). I would highly recommend it, especially for anyone going through a particularly difficult time. It has tremendous insight into the book of Job and makes it relevant for your life today.
Wade
This is a very solid and also very extensive commentary on the book of Job. It goes passage by passage, but the passages are often small (often only a verse or two per chapter) and this is a pretty long book (450 pages). But, if you're looking to invest some time in Job, this is a great book.
wes Goertzen
this is really the best devotional/meditation readings i've ever come across. Also probably on my list of favorite books ever.

Mason's a good writer and a theologian. One doesn't always find the two mix. Also Job is one of the great undervalued books of the OT.
RF
Oct 15, 2007 RF rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone battered why the hard "why" questions.
This book is so relevant when one is wrestling with why bad things happen to good people. Honest, intense, deep... a good companion book when you are feeling battered by questions without easy answers, or answers at all, sometimes!
Adam Johns
This book will make you see the Gospel of Christ in a whole new light. It took me about 2 years to get through, but was an awesome devotional and I learned things about Jesus and Job I probably never would have known.
Buddy Eades
Uncomfortable at times but that's what the gospel does when walking through pain! I refer to this book often
Betsy Duffey
Lovely book by a deep thinker. I enjoyed reading this book in my morning devotional time.
Tim Hayes
Good devotion for helping some one get through the dark times of life
Jeff Vankooten
Wow. Each chapter is a challenge of great insight
Anna Lia
Anna Lia marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Natalie V. Rankin
Natalie V. Rankin marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Jason Tuttle
Jason Tuttle is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2015
Eileen Murray
Eileen Murray marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Kimberly Ashby
Kimberly Ashby is currently reading it
May 24, 2015
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
  • Our Greatest Gift: A Meditation on Dying and Caring
  • Affliction
  • The Hidden Smile of God: The Fruit of Affliction in the Lives of John Bunyan, William Cowper, and David Brainerd (The Swans Are Not Silent, #2)
  • Telling Secrets
  • Let Go
  • The Attentive Life: Discerning God's Presence in All Things
  • Tell It Slant: A Conversation on the Language of Jesus in His Stories and Prayers (Spiritual Theology #4)
  • 25 Books Every Christian Should Read: A Guide to the Essential Spiritual Classics
  • The Message of Romans: God's Good News for the World
  • The Challenge of the Disciplined Life: Christian Reflections on Money, Sex, and Power
  • The Wisdom of Tenderness: What Happens When God's Fierce Mercy Transforms Our Lives
  • Bold Love
  • The Gift of Pain
  • The Glory of Christ
  • The Gospel Of Luke (New Daily Study Bible)
  • Decision Making and the Will of God: A Biblical Alternative to the Traditional View
Mike Mason is the best-selling, award-winning author of The Blue Umbrella, The Mystery of Marriage, The Gospel According to Job, Champagne for the Soul, Twenty-One Candles, and many others. He has an M.A. in English and has studied theology at Regent College. He lives in Langley, BC, Canada, with his wife.
More about Mike Mason...
The Mystery of Marriage: Meditations on the Miracle The Blue Umbrella: A Novel Practicing the Presence of People: How We Learn to Love Champagne for the Soul: Celebrating God's Gift of Joy The Violet Flash

“Theology, it turns out, is Satan's favorite game.” 7 likes
“What is such a believer, whose very life depends upon the daily bread of the living Word of God, supposed to do when God is silent?” 4 likes