Start by marking “Horror at the Haunted House (Frightmares)” as Want to Read:
Horror at the Haunted House (Frightmares)

Horror at the Haunted House (Ellen and Corey Books #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  18 reviews
It was a job any kid would kill for: to play a role in the Historical Society's Haunted House Halloween fundraising event. Ellen Streater was thrilled to play Joan of Arc, burning at the stake. It was for a good cause-- to benefit the eerie old Clayton House, soon to reopen as a museum. They said the house was haunted. Ellen didn't believe it-- until she felt a strange, ic ...more
Published November 1st 1994 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Horror at the Haunted House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horror at the Haunted House

Eden
Ellen and her brother Corey have been asked to play roles in the haunted house at the local historical society. Both agree to do so, with Corey being the most eager. He's wants everyone to hear just how good he can scream when he gets his head "chopped off". Ellen, however has a strange feeling about the mansion where the historical society is. She's had feelings like this before and they never end well.

On their first visit, Ellen experiences feeling cold and she doesn't know what it is. She rea
Monster
Ellen Streater and her brother Corey have volunteered to play roles in the local Historical Society's haunted house fundraiser. However once Ellen enters the old mansion that wiill house the benefit, she feels a cold and chilling presence. Soon, the ghost of Lydia Clayton, whose husband built the house, appears to Ellen. Ellen even starts to see and feel the ghost's presence at home. Ellen thinks that the ghost is trying to tell her something and begins to investigate the house and the owners to ...more
03danielr
summary:
Ellen and her little brother Corey are way excited because they found out that they get to die... all week long. At a haunted house that they will be in. Ellen gets to be joan of arc, burning at the stake. Everyone thought that the old Clayton house would be a good place to do the haunted house because the old creepy mansion was already haunted! But who would think that the old ghost of the Clayton home would haunt Ellen and take her to places in her wildest dreams...

a rate for this boo
The King of Light
it was pretty good i like it there was lots of awesome things in that book but i am not going to tell you so read it for yourselves
Michael
Peg Kehret satisfies me again! I love how she interspersed crime with supernatural occurrences!
Michelle Wardhaugh
The details worried at me a bit. At first I wanted to know more specifics about where this was set. I should have known it was set locally. Then I wondered why characters jumped to the least logical conclusions, but in time I relaxed and just enjoyed the book. It was fun, and it made me head for the computer to look up images of Wedgewood Fairyland Lustre. The only Wedgewood style I can identify is the blue and white. Fairyland Lustre is pretty stuff, but I like the colors better than the actual ...more
Annaka
Nov 16, 2008 Annaka rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery Readers
Shelves: mystery
Jen
I really liked this book when I was a kid, which is odd considering I am a terrible coward about horror and all things meant to be frightening. But this is a well-woven tale with moderate scariness (for kids) and a dash of history thrown in; a very quick read, an interesting idea, and just a fun departure for a few hours.
Lindsey Lewis
It was a great book to me when I was in 4th grade. I would check it out almost everytime I went to the library and when I didnt check it out it was because it was already checked out. I am going to try to read it again this year and who knows I might have a different perpective on this book because I read it 4 years ago
Kim
For halloween, Ellen participates in a haunted house. The house is staged in an old mansion and she is Joan of Arc. Unfortunately, not all of the characters are fake. A former resident (a ghost) is trying to tell Ellen something and she won't leave Ellen alone until she does!
Amanda Hendsbee
For a kids' book, this was a great deal of fun to read. I had it figured out about halfway through, but it was still a great story with a lot of fun for the entire family. I will definitely keep my eye out for more from this author, if there is any!
Kiersten
Oct 14, 2008 Kiersten rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYBODY!!!(as shown above)
Recommended to Kiersten by: My friend, Samantha, and I read it together. So I guess her!
This is my first Peg Kehret book I have ever read and ever since I read it Peg Kehret has been my all-time FAV. book!! Everyone who's anyone should read this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*victoria*
This is the book that got me hooked on Peg Kehret. My fourth grade teacher read it to us as a class and I loved it! I then syarted reading other books by Peg and have loved them all!!
Autumn Cook
This book was good and kind of scary but not the type of scary that gives you nightmares.
Kayla Blair
took too long for it to actually get interesting
Harriet
I would have rated it 16 stars.
Christy
Loved this when I was a kid.
Monique Nicolas
Monique Nicolas is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2015
Boom Hylton
Boom Hylton marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
jovilyn campusano
jovilyn campusano marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Tam1115
Tam1115 marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Brenna
Brenna added it
Dec 26, 2014
Katers
Katers marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Charlotte Gates
Charlotte Gates marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
if you were Ellen what would you do? 1 2 Feb 06, 2014 03:14PM
  • The Private Notebook of Katie Roberts, Age 11
  • The Book of Three, Volume 2 (Charmed)
  • The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Sabrina Goes To Rome (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #53)
  • A Fox Called Sorrow (Little Fur, #2)
  • Nasty, Stinky Sneakers
  • Destiny's Twins (T*Witches, #10)
  • A Triple Scoop of Rage with Giggle Sprinkles
  • Christina's Ghost
  • Rock the Waves (Hannah Montana (Disney Press Unnumbered))
  • Judy Moody's Double-Rare Way-Not-Boring Book of Fun Stuff to Do
  • Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10)
  • Consequences (Torchwood, #15)
  • Molly Takes Flight (American Girls Short Stories)
  • Into the Blue (Dolphin Diaries, #1)
  • The Attack of the Aqua Apes (Ghosts of Fear Street, #3)
  • Almost Starring Skinnybones
  • Time for Andrew: A Ghost Story
Peg Kehret writes middle grade fiction and nonfiction. She's won dozens of state children's choice awards, where kids vote for their favorite book.

When she was twelve, Peg was paralyzed with polio. Most of her protagonists are the age she was then.

A volunteer with animal rescue groups, three of Peg's books are co-authored by Pete the Cat."
More about Peg Kehret...

Ellen and Corey Books (3 books)
  • Terror at the Zoo
  • Danger at the Fair
Stolen Children Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio Runaway Twin Abduction! Escaping The Giant Wave