Start by marking “Horror at the Haunted House (Frightmares)” as Want to Read:
Horror at the Haunted House (Frightmares)

Horror at the Haunted House (Ellen and Corey Books #2)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  235 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
It was a job any kid would kill for: to play a role in the Historical Society's Haunted House Halloween fundraising event. Ellen Streater was thrilled to play Joan of Arc, burning at the stake. It was for a good cause-- to benefit the eerie old Clayton House, soon to reopen as a museum. They said the house was haunted. Ellen didn't believe it-- until she felt a strange, ic ...more
Published November 1st 1994 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Horror at the Haunted House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horror at the Haunted House

American
Peg Kehret is one of my favorite children's mystery authors, though they are never usually 'scary', more what I call 'spooky', but I like the spooky atmosphere. They usually all teach a moral lesson, which I do like about them, and they sometimes show what to do in a dangerous situation and what not to do. The books by her and 'Pete the Cat' are some of my favorites by her, but I like the 'Ellen and Corey' series a little better. I also like some of the single books like 'Stolen Children'. I've ...more
Amy
Eden
Oct 22, 2012 Eden rated it really liked it
Ellen and her brother Corey have been asked to play roles in the haunted house at the local historical society. Both agree to do so, with Corey being the most eager. He's wants everyone to hear just how good he can scream when he gets his head "chopped off". Ellen, however has a strange feeling about the mansion where the historical society is. She's had feelings like this before and they never end well.

On their first visit, Ellen experiences feeling cold and she doesn't know what it is. She rea
Monster
Ellen Streater and her brother Corey have volunteered to play roles in the local Historical Society's haunted house fundraiser. However once Ellen enters the old mansion that wiill house the benefit, she feels a cold and chilling presence. Soon, the ghost of Lydia Clayton, whose husband built the house, appears to Ellen. Ellen even starts to see and feel the ghost's presence at home. Ellen thinks that the ghost is trying to tell her something and begins to investigate the house and the owners to ...more
03danielr
Jan 03, 2013 03danielr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
summary:
Ellen and her little brother Corey are way excited because they found out that they get to die... all week long. At a haunted house that they will be in. Ellen gets to be joan of arc, burning at the stake. Everyone thought that the old Clayton house would be a good place to do the haunted house because the old creepy mansion was already haunted! But who would think that the old ghost of the Clayton home would haunt Ellen and take her to places in her wildest dreams...

a rate for this boo
Jules Heberer
Mar 05, 2015 Jules Heberer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wjhs, horror, suspense
Do you like horror and books that give you the chills? If so, this novel, "Horror at the Haunted House", is the book for you! Ellen and her little brother, Corey have been invited by their grandmother's friend to act in a haunted house. First, Ellen starts off with getting chills after hearing the story of the ghost. Next... I guess you have to find out by reading this novel by Peg Kehret!! I recommend you read this amazing novel!
Annabelle
Sep 25, 2015 Annabelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I am totally taking a stroll down memory lane right now.
To say I was obsessed with ghost stories and anything creepy when I was younger is putting it lightly.
Michael
May 18, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peg Kehret satisfies me again! I love how she interspersed crime with supernatural occurrences!
Michelle Wardhaugh
The details worried at me a bit. At first I wanted to know more specifics about where this was set. I should have known it was set locally. Then I wondered why characters jumped to the least logical conclusions, but in time I relaxed and just enjoyed the book. It was fun, and it made me head for the computer to look up images of Wedgewood Fairyland Lustre. The only Wedgewood style I can identify is the blue and white. Fairyland Lustre is pretty stuff, but I like the colors better than the actual ...more
Annaka
Nov 16, 2008 Annaka rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mystery Readers
Shelves: mystery
Jen
Feb 16, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
I really liked this book when I was a kid, which is odd considering I am a terrible coward about horror and all things meant to be frightening. But this is a well-woven tale with moderate scariness (for kids) and a dash of history thrown in; a very quick read, an interesting idea, and just a fun departure for a few hours.
Kim
Jan 30, 2010 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter
For halloween, Ellen participates in a haunted house. The house is staged in an old mansion and she is Joan of Arc. Unfortunately, not all of the characters are fake. A former resident (a ghost) is trying to tell Ellen something and she won't leave Ellen alone until she does!
Amanda
May 05, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
For a kids' book, this was a great deal of fun to read. I had it figured out about halfway through, but it was still a great story with a lot of fun for the entire family. I will definitely keep my eye out for more from this author, if there is any!
Kiersten
Oct 14, 2008 Kiersten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYBODY!!!(as shown above)
Recommended to Kiersten by: My friend, Samantha, and I read it together. So I guess her!
This is my first Peg Kehret book I have ever read and ever since I read it Peg Kehret has been my all-time FAV. book!! Everyone who's anyone should read this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*victoria*
Aug 10, 2012 *victoria* rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that got me hooked on Peg Kehret. My fourth grade teacher read it to us as a class and I loved it! I then syarted reading other books by Peg and have loved them all!!
Autumn Cook
Dec 27, 2009 Autumn Cook rated it it was amazing
This book was good and kind of scary but not the type of scary that gives you nightmares.
Kayla Blair
took too long for it to actually get interesting
Harriet
Dec 20, 2009 Harriet rated it it was amazing
I would have rated it 16 stars.
Christy
Jul 27, 2012 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this when I was a kid.
Wendy League
Wendy League marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Jocelyn Stark
Jocelyn Stark marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Isabella Miller
Isabella Miller marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Samantha McClanahan
Samantha McClanahan marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Mary Emmanuelle LLenos
Mary Emmanuelle LLenos marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Samantha Klein
Samantha Klein rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Christi Flynn
Christi Flynn marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
if you were Ellen what would you do? 1 2 Feb 06, 2014 03:14PM
  • The Ghosts of Mercy Manor
  • Sabrina Goes To Rome (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #53)
  • The Private Notebook of Katie Roberts, Age 11
  • The Book of Three, Volume 2 (Charmed)
  • The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • A Fox Called Sorrow (Little Fur, #2)
  • Destiny's Twins (T*Witches, #10)
  • Hannah Montana The Movie: The Junior Novel
  • Torchwood: Consequences
  • The Eye of Horus (House of Anubis)
  • Judy Moody's Double-Rare Way-Not-Boring Book of Fun Stuff to Do
  • Molly Takes Flight (American Girls Short Stories)
  • Rock the Waves (Hannah Montana (Disney Press Unnumbered))
  • Voices after Midnight
  • Nasty, Stinky Sneakers
  • Almost Starring Skinnybones
  • A Triple Scoop of Rage with Giggle Sprinkles
  • Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10)
Peg Kehret writes middle grade fiction and nonfiction. She's won dozens of state children's choice awards, where kids vote for their favorite book.

When she was twelve, Peg was paralyzed with polio. Most of her protagonists are the age she was then.

A volunteer with animal rescue groups, three of Peg's books are co-authored by Pete the Cat."
More about Peg Kehret...

Ellen and Corey Books (3 books)
  • Terror at the Zoo