Start by marking “The Terrorist” as Want to Read:
The Terrorist

The Terrorist

3.6  ·  Rating Details ·  1,424 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
Sixteen-year-old Laura, an American living in London, tries to find the person responsible for the death of her younger brother Billy, who has been killed by a terrorist bomb.
Published September 1st 1997 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Terrorist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Terrorist

Alfredo Valdez
Sep 10, 2015 Alfredo Valdez rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
How would you feel if your brother was killed by a terrorist,angry revengeful,clueless? In the book Billy is killed by package bomb in a subway station. The genre of this book is realistic fiction because it contains events that can possibly happen. What I thought of this book was a suspenseful beginning with the death of 5 year old Billy Williams and then turns into a mystery where Laura, Billy's sister, tries to find the killer by suspecting everyone at her school including her enemies and... ...more
Michele
Feb 01, 2012 Michele rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The more I read banned books, the more I realize that just because a book is banned, does not mean it's good literature.

I thought Cooney's writing style would have improved between The Milk Carton and The Terrorist but no, same cardboard characters and language that tells, not shows. Unlikable characters who don't mature and show nothing more than shallow development through the course of the story.

This book was challenged because of portrayals of Muslims, but, frankly, I'm offended by the way s
Mari Grimm
Jul 28, 2013 Mari Grimm rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book was absolutely appalling. It is obvious that Ms. Cooney is arrogant, close- minded, and blindly racist. Her book sickened me with it's blatant generalisations about Muslims and Middle- easterners; the idea that all Middle- easterners are sketchy, Anti- American, borderline violent Muslim extremists.

The main character is vapid and annoying and the premises of the novel make me groan. The notion that all Americans abroad should feel personally threatened by the presence of "Arabs", as M
Amara
Roberta love youuuu
I REALLY loved this book. It is one of the best I've reas in a very long time.
Viktoria Jean
After i read this book, i realised that the 'terrorist' that the author is talking about is not necessary those in army uniforms, holding huge bazookas and snipers and those who look especially tough and mean. A terrorist is just anyone with the intention of harming someone else. The author makes the idea clear that a terrorist can live in just anyone's heart, as seen in the case of Jehran, a sweet small girl whom noone would ever guess was the one who paid the guards to plant a bomb in Billy's ...more
Thien Doan
The ending has a different approach than I expected, which I'm going to like this ending. Because the author made less action involved, but more main on oral speech. I know that can be lame, but I liked it. "Jehran said nothing." The scene has built a lot of imagery. The way of how the character expresses themselves. Larua was pretty darn mad once she had figured it out. She was mad the whole time in this book. Which I found key of book. This has drag lots of emotion of out of here. "What you ta ...more
Celeste_pewter
Jan 31, 2013 Celeste_pewter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Adam
Nov 15, 2011 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caroline B. Cooney paints a horrifying tale of revenge as Laura Williams, a 16 year old British international student, finds out that her brother was targeted by a terrorist attack and killed. The first scene of the book has Laura's brother running through a train with his friend. A strange man hands him a package and tells him that his friend dropped it and leaves. Laura's brother remembers all the drills he had at school and realizes the package is a bomb, but didn't want anyone else to die. S ...more
Danial
Oct 16, 2013 Danial rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I'm honestly not sure what to make of this book. I finished it, so it wasn't a horrible story line, but it was far from one of the better novels that I've read. I think the premise was a little juvenile and lacked inspiration, but the writing style and the suspense of the hunt for Billy's killer was enough to keep me reading.

There were a few typos in the book, which (while it didn't distract from the enjoyment) just added salt to the wound of lacking plot. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyo
Rong7
Feb 18, 2015 Rong7 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
SWBST

All Laura wanted was to go back to the States, but when her little brother Billy dies, she wants to find the killer. Laura also wants to help her friend, a girl named Jehran, escape to the States with Billy's passport.. Billy was on the way to school when someone handed him a package, and inside that was a bomb. He hugged it tight so no-one would die when it exploded. So Laura's parents help police solve the case of Billy's murder while Laura helps Jehran escape. Then, when Laura and Jehran
Emily
Apr 04, 2009 Emily rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story, I found some of the plot twists stretched the feeling of realism, but the description of London as an international community as well as the portrayal of Americans, American attitudes, and the attitudes of others towards Americans feels honest and authentic. A good introduction to these ideas for young readers trying to understand our place in the world.
Rachel
KyleeJ
I can see why this book what challenged. Even at 34 I could only read it in small chunks. I'm sure my 16yo could handle THE TERRORIST, but I wouldn't want her to be required to read it.
Ali C
Dec 05, 2008 Ali C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!!
This is absolutely my favorite book by caroline b. cooney. I cried (just a little), got mad.. basically related to the character.. No I haven't dealt with anything like that but I could only imagine how she felt.
Renae
Mar 16, 2009 Renae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was really sad but also very well told, you could really tell how much pain the main character "laura was in"
Allie
Jan 28, 2009 Allie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far this book is really good, it is a really easy read, and it keeps your attention. My friend told me about it, and now i cant put it down. I can't wait to find out in the end.!
William Sarson
It was ok. But it was mostly a filler book while I waited to get a new one. So I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have if it was a want to read book.
Melanie
Overall this was an average book. The middle was a little slow but the ending was made up for it.
Junior Camino-Chavira
I think the terrorist was very miserios
Katriina
May 02, 2009 Katriina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't live in London , England.
Echo Amy
Jan 19, 2017 Echo Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book, but (SPOILER!!!!!!!) I don't think I will EVER trust my friends again. The book was amazing, although it did take a bit of time to get to the action...
Steven
Dec 21, 2016 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Terrorist is a mystery thriller about a teenage girl in London who is on a quest to find her brother's killer. It is fast-paced and exciting, but isn't entirely realistic. For example, the sister of a terrorist attack victim would probably never be allowed to be alone in an international school for very long, especially when a terrorist warning was still in effect. For these reasons, I decided to give it four stars instead of five.
Carolina Counsell
Has someone ever died in your family by a killer? The genre of my book is mysterious because a boy named Billy dies because a person gave him a bomb and he's sister is trying to find the killer. My opinion on this book is that Laura wants to get revenge on the person who killed Billy. The genre of my book is mysterious because Laura keeps trying to find out who killed billy and she won't stop until she finds out.

This story takes place in L.I.A in London where Laura goes to school .Laura Has a br
Carmine
Dec 21, 2016 Carmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: q2
I rated this four stars because it starts you off with a murder, and throughout the entire book, you keep trying to figure out who is the terrorist that killed Billy.
1Fields C
Oct 21, 2015 1Fields C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heather Wood
I was very excited to read this book since I grew up being a big fan of Caroline Cooney’s books. As weird as it sounds, I used to pretend I was Janie Johnson from The Face on the Milk Carton (if you read the book, you know how strange this is). I can’t say I was a huge fan of The Terrorist and it was only an okay read for me.

What I Liked: Billy is the heart of this book. He really made this book jump from a two star rating to a three star rating. The first chapter was gripping as we experience t
Dania
Jan 07, 2013 Dania rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like Cooney, so naturally, I really wanted to like this.

It's got an interesting concept, just as relevant today as it was at the time of its writing but... Wow... It truly exposes some deep-rooted prejudice that the author has (or had).

Being an Arab living in a Western country, I, much too often, felt very fidgety reading this. Not the best book to get comfortable with, not in this century anyways. Cooney seemed to have some sort of a weird agenda, the way she set up every Arab or Muslim cha
Jillian Campbell
Dec 14, 2013 Jillian Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng-356-ya-lit
Summary: Laura Williams and her family live in London. As the only American kids at their school it is easy for Laura to make friends. However, her world is turned upside down when her younger brother Billy is killed by a bomb in the underground. Laura then spends her days trying to track down who did this, convinced that it was someone that she knows. After she finally starts to get over what happened and accept her new life as an only child, she starts to do normal things with friends again. W ...more
Tomasz
Dec 21, 2016 Tomasz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: q2
I enjoyed the suspense in this book. The narrator is unreliable so it is hard to know what actually happened. The book keeps you turning pages to find out what happened.
Clean 1 13 Sep 21, 2007 02:26PM
  • Stumptown Kid
  • Cold Case
  • Vanishing Acts
  • Missing
  • Wolf Rider
  • Snatched (Bloodwater Mysteries, #1)
  • Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture
  • Ghost of a Hanged Man
  • The Facts Speak for Themselves
  • Hurricane
  • Olivia Kidney
  • What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents and Daughters
  • Overboard
  • Edward's Eyes
Caroline Cooney knew in sixth grade that she wanted to be a writer when "the best teacher I ever had in my life" made writing her main focus. "He used to rip off covers from The New Yorker and pass them around and make us write a short story on whichever cover we got. I started writing then and never stopped!"
When her children were young, Caroline started writing books for young people -- with rem
More about Caroline B. Cooney...