Start by marking “Good-bye Stacey, Good-bye (The Baby-Sitters Club, #13)” as Want to Read:
Good-bye Stacey, Good-bye (The Baby-Sitters Club, #13)

Good-bye Stacey, Good-bye (The Baby-Sitters Club #13)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,515 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Oh no! Stacey McGill is moving back to New York! That means no more Stoneybrook Middle School, no more Charlotte Johanssen, and worst of all... no more Baby-sitters Club!

Stacey's friends are crushed when they hear that Stacey's moving, Claudia most of all. Stacey was her first best friend.

How will the BSC cope without Stacey? What kind of going-away present is good enough
Published July 1st 1993 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Good-bye Stacey, Good-bye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good-bye Stacey, Good-bye

Ciara
so not into this book. the plot: stacey gets a call from her mom right after a babysitters club meeting, requesting that she hurry home right away. she does, thinking that someone died or something. but in fact, mr. mcgill is being transferred back to new york. the whole family has to pack up & get ready to re-locate in a month.

stacey doesn't know how to feel. she's excited to go back to new york & hang out with laine again & be in the city, close to shopping, museums, & broadway
Laura Hughes
Stacey’s father is transferred back to New York City, so obvs they have to move, because it's not like Stoneybrook is basically Westchester or anything.

This book concerns the lead-up to the move, as Stacey says good-bye to her friends and her sitting charges, packs, organizes a yard sale, and has a farewell party. Instead of a specific kid-oriented B-plot, we get a couple of unconnected kid vignettes, some of them setting up future storylines: Jeff Schafer confides in Mary Anne about his desire
Reese
Sep 11, 2012 Reese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stacey is my favourite baby-sitter out of all the baby-sitters. It is really sad when she leaves because everybody in Stoneybrook loves her! Anyway Stacey is still excited because she is moving to New York where she used to live. So she still has all her old friends. But Stacey is still really sad that she has to leave Stoneybrook and the BSC.
Shira
this is the first time I've read this book!

stacey finds out she has to move to new york. her friends want to throw her a going away party but don't have any good ideas and don't have money for it. they have a big yard sale to earn money and then invite their baby-sitting charges to the party (which they have paid for with the yard sale money). that's pretty much it. not really a very interesting book.

highlights:
-when she finds out stacey is moving, claudia is particularly upset and tells her tha
Karina Halle
Sep 19, 2012 Karina Halle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating this five stars because STACEY FINALLY LEFT. Good riddance, you rotten-egg smelling poodle-haired NYC reject.
Swankivy
It was nice to have a book that was about a realistic life issue and not really a contrived "mystery" or plot about boys or miscommunication. I like that Stacey had decidedly mixed feelings about her situation: she loves her friends from Stoneybrook, being in the Baby-Sitters Club, and a lot of the kids she sits for, but she also has always been a New York City girl at heart and misses her best friend from NYC, Laine. So it was cool to see her conflicted feelings. I didn't really get how Stacey' ...more
Rachel Brand
I really loved this book. I barely remember it from my childhood but like nearly all of the earlier, non-ghostwritten BSC books I adore the focus on the girls' friendships and families. Although the later books move on to boys and mysteries and drama, this one was simply about Stacey moving back to New York and the girls coping with this. When I was fourteen my best friend moved to Birmingham, which is a 4 hour train journey away from Edinburgh, so I could relate to Stacey and Claudia's anguish ...more
April Thompson
Aug 12, 2014 April Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The feels! Even though I cried like a baby a couple of times, this book's good times outweighed the sad times. With Stacey moving back to NYC, it's time for the junior babysitters to come on board for more fun.
Julie Decker
Stacey has bittersweet news: she's moving back to New York City. While living in Stoneybrook, she's always missed the big city and her best friend from her old home, but now that she's got to leave it, she's got to tear herself away from her BSC friends and all the kids she's formed relationships with while babysitting. Not to mention . . . how will her friends function without her?

This was one of the better BSC books for me because it contented itself with a realistic issue and didn't attempt t
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Posted originally on my blog:
The Writer's Inkwell

As a child, Stacey McGill was always my favorite baby-sitter out of these series. I think part of it was because she represented what I always wanted to be, but could never figure out how to be. She was cool, sophisticated, meanwhile I was more like Kristy and a complete tomboy who couldn’t seem to figure out how to get unstuck from that. Even as an adult, she’s still my favorite character and I feel it’s because she has a bit of a maturity about
Leah
My first BSC book ever. I received it when I was 7. I've read this book so much I've had to tape and retape the cover so many times. I love this story. I've moved a lot so I understand what Stacey is going through having to leave her best friends behind, friends she's only had a little more than a year with. She's in the middle, happy she gets to go back to NYC and be with Laine, sad she has to leave Stoneybrook and the BSC. Ann M. Martin does a great job of depicting the mixed emotions of Stace ...more
Jessica Floyd
Summery- Good-by Stacy (The babysitters Club, #13) by Ann M. Martin is a story about one of the members of the babysitters club that is moving away. This story goes through the emotions of how friends feel when they are losing a close friend who is moving away. This is a story that students will and can relate to due to the realistic scenario that is set in this book.
Text-I feel like the text in this book is very appropriate for younger readers. This text teaches the responsibility of having a
Ruby Rose Scarlett
I loved this. It was surprising to have Stacey move back to New York all of a sudden but I enjoyed the author's explanation of this plot twist. The whole book was very sweet and lovely. I can't wait to meet Mallory properly!
Jamie
Dec 09, 2015 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
One of my favorites of the series because things aren't the standard explanation of everything. Plus the reference to the 'Jerk Twins' continues to make me laugh even as an adult.
Idea Smith
A so-so book about an important transition point in the Babysitters Club series. Stacey McGill's father gets transferred back to New York City so she has to move. The Babysitters Club are in a quandary about how to fill her place, personally and professionally. As they put together a yard sale to help the McGills move and a farewell party for Stacey, they notice Mallory Pike, a former club charge, who could be a future babysitter. This is neither a great nor a terrible book. I suppose I might ha ...more
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Michaela Branum
Jun 18, 2016 Michaela Branum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
soo sad! I knew Stacey was coming back, but I just wanted to cry! (if I did i would look like a doofus) But anyways, I got really emotional (on my own) when Claudia & Stacey were crying together. I will feel like that with my friends when I am moving. & it was sooo sad how stacey & charlotte were crying together! then on Charlotte's card said, "goodbye stacey (goodbye?) I wish you were my sister. (
jacky
I read about 20-25 of these books. I read them in fifth and sixth grade. I strongly remember wanting to read these because they seemed cool and my older sister read a few of them. I remember that our library had a little display of them and I also bought a lot of them through the book catalogs we got at school. I remember most strongly the set up of the books; each book started explaining the club and describing each of the members. I also strongly remember the covers.
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
These were great for young girls in the 90s to get their teeth into reading. This was one of the more sad of the stories as Stacey leaves. Of course no one ever enjoys saying goodbye to a friend or this kind of change, even if it is important to mention. While the series was good for young girls, it wasn't overly impressive with style in writing form.
Amie
Feb 18, 2014 Amie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bsc
This book hits all the emotions a kid experiences when preparing to move: Excitement, fear, anger, sadness, and happiness. I'm sure there's others described, those are just the ones that stuck out to me. I strongly recommend it for any child facing a big move.
The tragedy, the horror! Stacey is moving back to New York City. Gasp! What I did appreciate about this story, as well as several other books in the series, is Martin's reference to beloved works of children's literature such as Iggie's House, Harriet the Spy, and Where the Wild Things Are.
Valentina
Aug 10, 2012 Valentina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I'm so happy I found these on Goodreads! It instantly brought me back to my major book collection (and the movie!!) I had when I was young! LOVE the Babysitters club! Taught me about American culture as I grew up in Europe. I always wanted to be in the club! 5 stars for good memories!
Jessica
How could Stacey leave?
And how will the Baby-Sitters cope without their good friend?

Turns out they will all be okay.

Natalí
Feb 01, 2013 Natalí rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, oldie, bsc
A bit sad as Stacey doesn't really know to be happy to return "home" or sad for leaving her new friends. I specially feel bad for Claudia, as she is left "best friend-less." I liked Stacey more in this book than the last one (The boy-crazy madness)
Erin
Nov 16, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another favorite book in the series from my childhood. I was absolutely devastated that the author would get rid of one of our beloved babysitters! Who could replace Stacey?
Nancy
Jan 08, 2016 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereading
In which Stacey moves back to OMGI<3NEWYORK. This one bummed out Young Me. Stace was my favorite. Don't worry. She'll be back. You can't escape the clutches of the BSCult.
Tara Calaby
I was already a bit too old by the time the Babysitters Club books started appearing in our school book club options, but I enjoyed the early books in the series nonetheless.
GraceWastheAnswer
Jun 11, 2010 GraceWastheAnswer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put it down. I couldn't put it down because I was mad at Stacey, and Anne for making Stacey leave! I just couldn't believe it! Why did she make her go away????
Nermine Ahmed
Sep 27, 2013 Nermine Ahmed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think it's a great book and i seem to feel about what stacey feel's when she will leave her friends and go back to new york that's a hard think that anybody could feel :(
  • The Magic Christmas (Sweet Valley Twins Magna Edition #1)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)