Start by marking “Hope” as Want to Read:
Hope

Hope

-- "An engrossing achievement". -- Kirkus, pointer review

Hope and her younger brother, John, went to live with the Shakers because they had no other choice. Ma had died, Pa was off in the California gold fields, and Uncle Josiah didn't want to raise them. But men and women, even boys and girls, must live apart in the Shaker village; that's just one of their strange rules.

Published October 30th 1995 by Atheneum Books

To ask other readers questions about Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hope

Lana Del Slay
May 13, 2013 Lana Del Slay rated it it was amazing
Hope is a reread for the umpteenth time.

When I was wee, I was fascinated with the Shakers. Still am, on some level, except now I'm pretty sure I couldn't live among them, the way I thought I could before I discovered... things. :) This therefore was comfort reading, since I figured I'd taken out some pretty heavy stuff. (The Death of Captain America, anyone?)

It shouldn't be a secret that Hope's been sent to live among the Shakers, along with her little brother, John. Coming from a world where s
Shannon
-I decided to read this book because it sounded really interesting and my sister recommended it.
-The category on the bingo board that this book completes is a book written before I was born.
-What I liked about this book was the detailed descriptions of what the characters were feeling/their emotions. I also liked the way that it was written, it showed two different opinions of a life with Shakers. One person hated it and wanted to get out of the village and one person loved every minute of it an
Pam
Mar 27, 2012 Pam rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-chapter
This novel, a chapter book for children, is about a girl named Hope, who was brought to live with the Shakers with her younger brother John, age 9, by their uncle after the death of their mother. It tells of her struggles adapting to the Shaker community and its rules, while her younger brother John flourishes in the same environment. While the book does an excellent job presenting the Shakers and their lives, and describes the Hope's emotions very well, it lacks an interesting story line and ...more
Amy
Mar 24, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
Juve. fiction, of course...A wee, small book about the Shakers. A young girl and her brother are orphaned and taken in by the Shakers, to be raised in their strict, tight-knit community. The men and women are separated, which explains why there aren't any more Shakers. Hmmm...I liked learning about the Shakers. Do my reviews sound like a 5th grader wrote them or what?
Angela
Oct 24, 2009 Angela rated it it was ok
Interesting book for children about the Shakers. Not a very satisfying story, but the writing was okay.
April
Mar 15, 2011 April rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I learned a lot about Shakers from this book for kids; interesting read. However, the ending was unsatisfactory.
Bookwoman67
Bookwoman67 rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2010
Caro
Caro rated it did not like it
Feb 15, 2010
Katie Lawrence
Katie Lawrence rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Dreama
Dreama rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2010
Hannah
Jul 08, 2009 Hannah rated it it was amazing
i love it! its awesome! totally splendid,heheheheheheh
Altar Ego
Altar Ego rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2012
Cat
Cat rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2012
B
B rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Michele
Michele rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2010
Ella
Ella rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2014
Rosie Hopkins
Rosie Hopkins rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2011
Lupe
Lupe rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Sage
Sage rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2010
Kelly
Jun 15, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read between March 6 & April 29 of 1998.
Maddie Kiernan
Maddie Kiernan rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2015
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2012
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Lilli
Lilli rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Kelsey Monahan
Kelsey Monahan rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2008
Ethan
Ethan rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2011
Karen Kozian
Karen Kozian rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Katharina Pfeiffer
Katharina Pfeiffer rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2010