Start by marking “The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)

The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown #1)

When Bingo has to keep a notebook for school, all he can come up with are questions. Like how could I fall in love with three girls in three minutes? But not even his teacher, Mr. Mark, has the answers. In fact Mr. Mark has been acting pretty weird lately, and he's getting weirder. Is there more wrong with Mr. Mark than Bingo can handle?
Published May 1st 1988 by Viking Juvenile (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown

Emily
Jan 19, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Bingo Brown fell in love three times during English Class." When I read this first sentence, I knew I was in for a treat. Of course, I was the same age as Bingo at the time, sixth grade, and over the course of the next several weeks, I fell in love with Bingo, myself. I devoured everything Byars wrote about him. I was somewhat apprehensive about picking these back up almost twenty years later, because I didn't want to be disappointed. Fortunately, this book held up pretty well. Although I think ...more
Nancy
The name of this book is called "The burning questions of Bingo Brown" by Betsy Byars. You could say that its a pretty interesting book because it talks a lot the life of a twelve year old. He goes through any twelve year old drama that you would be able to think of. he also falls in love with 3 girls at the same time and he doesn't know who he truely likes. In the book you would also realize that a bully then moves right next door to him and his parents are always insane about hime. He would t ...more
Monchel Jones
Apr 18, 2012 Monchel Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely enjoyed this book. "The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown" was very interesting. It was about a little boy named Bingo. He was very curious about a lot and had a lot of questions about things. Bingo had to keep a notebook for his class but all he came up with we're questions. The ridiculous questions that he asked not even his teacher could answer them. It also appears his teacher has been acting weird and it was a lot for Bingo to handle. The age group for this book would be About 8 ...more
Kasha
Jun 15, 2010 Kasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found myself constantly chuckling at the situations in this book. Bingo is quite the character. I'm not sure if my son would find it nearly as amusing as I did, though, because I have a different perspective on that age group, being an adult. I read a Betsy Byars book a long while back and wasn't too impressed with it, but I did like this one quite a lot. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the teacher in Bingo's class was a little "out there" and one of his writing assignments was about su ...more
Danielle
"Bingo Brown fell in love three times during English class. Bingo had never been in love before. He had never even worried about falling in love. He thought love couldn't start until a person had zits, so he had plenty of time. Bingo was worried about being called on."

Ah, what a perfect beginning. Bingo is in sixth grade, and his story, while delightfully funny,also tackles serious topics, from freedom of speech (or dress, in school) to suicide. A great read, and I'm looking forward to following
Janna
Dec 08, 2012 Janna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book so often as a child that the cover is torn and the pages are bent. I recently re-read it as an adult and found it to still be entertaining. Bingo is an entertaining and quirky main character that I find relate-able, even as he's dealing (seemingly for the first time) with the fact that an adult he idolizes is a fallible human being who makes questionable choices. I'm glad this book has been reprinted and that people are still reading it, 20+ years after its publication.
Duane
May 13, 2008 Duane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bingo Brown is a really interesting character. I can see how any typical teenage boy could relate to Bingo. He experiences the daily drama that any 12 year old boy would. He loves multiple girls in his class, he adores his teacher, his parents drive him crazy, and the class bully just moved in next door to him, and yet he continues to look at life like it's an adventure. This book does deal with a serious matter that hints at suicide but it's handled properly. A great book for teens.
Alex
Mar 20, 2009 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a boy named Bingo Brown. He writing down questions in his notebook. His favorite teacher is Mr. Markham. One day, the passed a new rule that no one is to wear clothes with writing on them. Bingo has a plan to protest against this rule.

I have no connections.

I rated this book 4 stars because it was hilarious. I recommend this book to people who like comedies. This is a must read book.
Pyrate Queen
Bingo Brown has been assigned to keep a journal in his 6th grade class, which he uses to reveal his secret concerns and questions about life. He is suddenly concerned with his appearance, especially his hair and freckles, and finds himself in love with three girls in five minutes. His other turmoils in life are the class bully, a new kid who moves in next door and his likeable teacher, who turns out to have more troubles than Bingo could ever imagine.
Kricket
I'm a huge fan of Betsy Byars, and Bingo is a masterpiece of a character. In this one, Bingo's class tries to figure out why their teacher, Mr. Markham, is acting so strangely. This brings Bingo closer to his classmate Melissa, with whom he shares several successful "mixed-sex conversations." I love Bingo's interactions with his mother, they never fail to make me laugh.
Dominic Ciccodicola
There were about two or three years of my adolescence when this book was more relatable to my life than any other and served simultaneously as a good friend and guide book for my social interactions. How to talk on the phone. How to deal with girls. How to defend first amendment rights. How to laugh at life. I am still very much the aspiring hero of Bingo, with so many goddamn questions.
Siobhan

This book was so funny and weird at the same time. One really grows to love Bingo in all his oddities and minor existential crises. When I have kids, this will definitely be a book that I will give them to read.
Angie
Jan 02, 2010 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if this book was supposed to be funny, but I know my sister and I laughed our heads off when we were in elementary school reading about crazy Bingo Brown. I wonder if I would still think it was funny.
Jennifer Ramirez
The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown is an good book, but I didn't really like it. I liked how a boy that asked lots of questions and didn't know the answers, falls in love and she helps him figure them out. I would recommend this book for anyone that likes reading kind of love books.
Robert
I read this during the 2006-07 academic year. I recall liking it, but for the life of me, I don't really recall the story.
Krystal
May 31, 2014 Krystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will forever be 5 stars! I read it a million times in primary/elementary school. Memories!
Weronika
Feb 16, 2009 Weronika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!
This is a great book! Everyone should read it! It's a little bit about love, friendship and so on. It think it's a book for both girls ans boys.
Jaheem Gibbon
Jaheem Gibbon rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Dominique
Dominique rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2009
Rhapsody
Rhapsody rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2008
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2012
Sandi Turla
Sandi Turla rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Lila
Lila rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2010
Erin Cerasus
Erin Cerasus rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2010
Min Zhi
Min Zhi rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2007
Tonya Hall
Tonya Hall rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Maryka
Maryka rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2008
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it did not like it
Dec 13, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Pongwiffy: A Witch Of Dirty Habits
  • Attaboy, Sam!  (Sam Krupnik, #2)
  • The Facts and Fictions of Minna Pratt
  • Arabel and Mortimer (Arabel and Mortimer, #4-6)
  • A Taste of Blackberries
  • I Need My Own Country!
  • Ghosts Beneath Our Feet
  • A Girl Called Al
  • Dorrie and the Blue Witch (Dorrie the Little Witch, #2)
  • Notes from a Liar and Her Dog
  • Leon's Story
  • Rodeo Red
  • Flip-Flop Girl
  • Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack!
  • The Barn
  • The Catalogue of the Universe
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American
More about Betsy Byars...

Bingo Brown (4 books)
  • Bingo Brown and the Language of Love (Bingo Brown, #2)
  • Bingo Brown, Gypsy Lover (Bingo Brown, #3)
  • Bingo Brown's Guide to Romance (Bingo Brown, #4)