Start by marking “The Two-Thousand-Pound Goldfish” as Want to Read:
The Two-Thousand-Pound Goldfish

The Two-Thousand-Pound Goldfish

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Abandoned by a mother who is hiding from the FBI, Warren escapes into horror movie fantasies while he waits for her return.
Published October 1st 1987 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published September 29th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Two-Thousand-Pound Goldfish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Two-Thousand-Pound Goldfish

Duane
I usually like this author's work, but this book really dissapointed me. Warren is a young boy who daydreams of the horror movies he hopes to one day make. His daydreams help him escape his real life that consists of a eco-terrorist, missing mom, a older sister who really doesn't pay attention to him, and a grandmother who has wiped her memory of his mother. His horror movie escapes are interesting, but overall, this book just doesn't really come together for me. Am I suppose to feel sorry for t ...more
Carol
Disappointed in the lack of morbidly obese goldfish.
Lisa
A kid named Warren obsessively creates horror movie scripts to distract himself from the pain of missing his mom, who belongs to a Weather Underground type activist/terrorist organization and is on the run from the FBI. The author keeps her dramatic plot feeling real by focusing so tightly and truthfully on Warren's emotions that you kind of feel like the book was written by the most loving and understanding second grade teacher ever to exist. I liked how Warren and his sister have different fat ...more
Susan Katz
An old favorite from the always delightful Betsy Byars. Not only is Warren's obsession with monster movies a successful and original counterpoint to a mother lost in the political world, but for me it has the added fillip of reminding me of my son's foray into monster movies at a similar age - though for him it involved a cohort of his friends and a wreck of an old video camera. Not to mention such brilliant cameo roles for Mom as the soon-to-be-eaten Hatshepsut Smith.
Rhiannon20
This book is about this kid who loves horror movies,(but the book is kind of old so the effects he describes in the movies are CHEESY),and has a mother who is on the run from the FBI.
I'm not so sure about this book. There's not alot I can relate to, so for me it was quite dull.
Twyla
Catherine  Mustread
Young Readers Choice Nominee 1985, probably the first book I read by Byars who became one of my favorite youth authors.
Ruth
I read this book as a kid and loved it. Did a book project on it. And I am thinking of picking it up for my niece.
Milad El-Darzi
Great book. I read it 4 years ago and still sometimes I take it off the shelf and read it.
Annalisa
I wrote a book report on this when I was a kid... Don't remember when.
Stefanie Nicholas
Stefanie Nicholas marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Evana
Evana marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Nov 17, 2014
Butterflybrain178
Butterflybrain178 marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Christina Wells
Christina Wells marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Lori
Lori added it
Jul 18, 2014
Laura added it
Jul 08, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Jenny
Jenny added it
Mar 26, 2014
Kim R
Kim R added it
Mar 13, 2014
Mini Varghese
Mini Varghese marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Kiana
Kiana marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Katie Fitzgerald
Katie Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American
More about Betsy Byars...
The Summer of the Swans The Pinballs Tornado The Midnight Fox The SOS File