Start by marking “In the Land of the Big Red Apple (Little House: The Rose Years, #3)” as Want to Read:
In the Land of the Big Red Apple (Little House: The Rose Years, #3)

In the Land of the Big Red Apple (Little House: The Rose Years #3)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,742 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Meet Rose Wilder... the last of the Little House girls. Rose is turning nine years old, and it's an exciting time on Rocky Ridge Farm. The Wilders have settled into their new home in the Ozarks, and Rose is helping as all their Mansfield neighbors bring in the harvest. The year is filled with danger, excitement, and joy, as Rose battles an ice storm, starts her second year ...more
Published May 1st 1995 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about In the Land of the Big Red Apple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Land of the Big Red Apple

Naomi Sarah
Jul 22, 2016 Naomi Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gosh I relate to Rose SO much. This book is filled with wonderful moments and I remember relishing in them and pretending to be Rose when I read them as a younger person. (To be honest, I still do that.)
I love Effie+Abe's wedding, the Christmas, when Swiney gets Rose's sledge (SOBBBB), Rose's birthday, the new house, and when Rose takes Paul and George into the cave. (Oh, and when Blanche treats Rose to loads of fun things on July the 4th.)
(Spookendyke is a VERY original name for a donkey. I app
Katie
I've been saving my reviews of the non-Laura Ingalls stories until the end of each series. I just can't seem to hold back with this book, though.

The first two books in the Rose Wilder series was very promising. In fact, I liked the second better than the first one. Unfortunately, that isn't the case with this book.

Truthfully, and I will be completely honest, this one was absolute torture for me to read. I actually considered stopping it when I got to the halfway point. I disliked it that much. Y
Sarina
Jan 17, 2015 Sarina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only thing that disappoints me about these books is Laura, now mother to Rose, has lost a lot of her spirit. I've always thought Ma was stern and solemn, but now I feel Laura is taking on a more bitter form of that role. Now, compared to Laura, Ma seems humorous and happy. I feel Laura is harsher on Rose because she sees so much of the parts she hated about herself in Rose. There was a time when Rose was speaking about the injustice of her new teacher and the pranks the kids were playing on ...more
Mary-Jane
Aug 08, 2014 Mary-Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
During fall vacation from school, Rose helps with the various farm harvests. The harvesting of molasses is explained, and molasses is used as sugar by the locals (as imported white cane sugar is expensive). Honey is also used as sugar, but is usually a treat. Hired hand Abe shows how to "course" bees to find a hive. The local rules say that whoever finds a hive may have the honey, even if the hive is on someone else's land. A big ice storm causes damage to farms and livestock in the area, and Ro ...more
Heidi
I suppose it was good that I was reading this "side" of Missouri because my limited experiences there were NOT pleasant.
Gale
“GROWING HEALHTY APPLES AND CHILDREN”

Written by the adopted grandson of Laura Ingalls Wilder this book chronicles a year in the life of young Rose Wilder. The family has survived their first year in the Ozarks, after their long move East from the prairie to a place they call Rocky Ridge Farm. In this 3rd book in the RR series Rose is almost nine, coping with conflicting loyalties to girlfriends (country versus town girls) and feeling the faint stirrings of jealousy. Throughout extremes of weat
The other John
With a title like that, you'd think this book was some sort of fantasy novel, maybe one where a kid falls into a world of good nutrition or something. Well, it's not. Instead, this is the 3rd volume of the Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years series. The story of the Wilder family continues, describing life on their farm in the Ozarks and the events in their lives. It's enjoyable reading, though nothing outstanding. One thing I noticed in this one is some of the subtle differences between Mr. Mac ...more
Tiny Mendoza
May 23, 2013 Tiny Mendoza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Since I've read the entire Little House/The Laura Years & the first two books from The Rocky Ridge/The Rose Years last year, I've been itching to grab a copy of this book for a long time now. I seriously can't find a copy in bookstores or even online, secondhand or brand new (well except for Amazon, but duh I can't order from Amazon). But when I went to Manila with my aunt last Monday, I found out that she has the next two installments from the series! And the thing was, she gave the first t ...more
Kaitlyn
I'm enjoying The Rose Years, but the books aren't really distinguishable from each other the way Laura's were- each of hers had a very specific theme or location. It might be that Laura's travels made it easier to tell them apart, and Rose and her family living in one place is making them run together.
Ashley
Nov 24, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was mostly little episodes but connected mostly by Abe's courtship with Effie!

I love how MacBride shows Rose's emotions! It makes you feel them with her!

Also, I love Rose's unselfishness! And her donkey! I'm still trying to figure out what Spookendyke means in Russian. I also found Alva and Rose's tension interesting. Rose reminds me of myself. She doesn't really fit in anywhere yet. She's to "cityfied" for Alva, yet she's not as sophisticated as Blanche!

Also, what was with the lie sh
Paul Lunger
Oct 10, 2011 Paul Lunger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 3rd book in the Rose Years takes us through the end of 1895 & into the Summer of 1896. Through the events of this year we see the farm on Rocky Ridge have a semi-prosperous year as the Wilder family survives an ice storm, the holidays, & the building of a new house. Along the way we have the budding romance between Abe & Effie Stubbins & the jealousy with Rose in addition to following along the everyday hardships & daily routines of life at the close of the 19th century. ...more
Leanne Aurelio
Sep 08, 2013 Leanne Aurelio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I owned. I had it when we were strolling in the mall and there were bargained books placed in the middle of the Department Store. The cover really attracted me. And it turned out to be a really good story. It’s one of my favorites.
I really don’t know why but I have this strong liking for farm life. :)
So I searched for it online and I found in one of the previews their pictures and their family tree. Unfortunately, those weren’t included in my book.
It’s really amazing to kn
Emily
Mar 27, 2015 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as Laura Ingalls Wilder's novels but it's great to see what happens to Laura even after her novels stop.
Lauri
Aug 11, 2014 Lauri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the Rose years. I wonder if there was anyone in particular that Abe and Swiney were based on.
Kacey Kendrick Wagner
Lots of fun details in this book! How to find a beehive, how to make molasses, riding a donkey for the first time, surviving Missouri ice storms, how to move an addition off of one house onto another, etc. Those explanations are the best part about these books, in my opinion.

My favorite story lines are Rose learning about the Spirit of Christmas, Rose & Blanche's friendship, and Abe & Swiney pretty much joining the family, and what happens when Rose tells a lie. :)

Plus, Rocky Ridge Farm
Vincent Tang
Feb 03, 2014 Vincent Tang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contains Santa spoiler. Be ready for some 'splainin'.
Nicole
read aloud with the 7 year old
Emily Hunholz
I still really liked “In the Land of the Big Red Apple” but not as much as I liked “Little Farm in the Ozarks.” It had a lot more internal monologue—Rose gets her first crush. It wasn’t too annoying, but it didn’t fit as well with the style of the original Little House series. Nonetheless, I still LOVE the Wilder family and can’t get enough of their stories.
Emily
Jun 15, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the rose series. I reread them all the time. I love how this book describes how the Wilders are expanding their farm. There are a lot of little adventures that Rose has. She gets to go to town for the Fourth of July celebration, she gets her own donkey, enjoys the Christmas spirit, learns how to find a beehive, and gets to go to a wedding.
Jenn
Jan 02, 2016 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
She "quick" did this and he "quick" did that. Ugh, what a jarring way to write. Like the other two books in the series, I found this dull and lacking any real conflict. I enjoy reading about what time was like back in those days but there's very little excitement that belongs in a good story.
Elaine
Jul 21, 2014 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
We really enjoyed this one. Rose did a bit of growing up, and learned a lot of good lessons about friendship and honesty. It also was a big year in the Wilder household as things started looking up for them, after struggling for many years, so it made me happy to read about that.
Gl
Jan 21, 2008 Gl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: laura ingalls fans
I am a huge fan of the Laura Ingalls stories!!! The tried and true Laura stories are by far my favorites, but when I came across stories of her great-grandmother all the way down to her daughter, I was thrilled. Though I have to admit, the "Rose Years" are my least favorite.
Carolyn
Being a huge Laura Ingalls Wilder fan as a kid, it's a treat to continue on and read about her daughter's life in the late 1800's. I'm enjoying this and it's low stress.
Steph
May 16, 2013 Steph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story full of good references and good times back during those days! All ages should read this book, not only young adults!
Clwaddoups
Sep 25, 2008 Clwaddoups rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading the continuing lives of Laura Ingalls and her daughter Rose, with my daughter.
McKayla Smith
Dec 21, 2015 McKayla Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Love every part of it! Also don't know exact date that if finished
Kasey
Mar 25, 2010 Kasey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one but it took me a while to finish. Great part of the series.
Kirsten
Apr 10, 2010 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying this series, learning about Rose's life.
Jessica Mitchell
I fell in love with this book in the first chapter!
  • The Far Side of the Loch (Little House: The Martha Years, #2)
  • Little Town at the Crossroads (Little House: The Caroline Years, #2)
  • Across the Rolling River (Little House: The Caroline Years, #5)
  • West from Home: Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder, San Francisco, 1915  (Little House #11)
  • Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years
  • A Little House Sampler: A Collection of Early Stories and Reminiscenses
  • Home to the Prairie
  • Changes for Josefina: A Winter Story
MacBride called himself "the adopted grandson" of writer and political theorist Rose Wilder Lane, the daughter of writer Laura Ingalls Wilder, and as such laid claim to the substantial Ingalls-Wilder's literary estate, including the "Little House on the Prairie" franchise. He is the author of record of three additional "Little House" books, and began the "Rocky Ridge Years" series, describing the ...more
More about Roger Lea MacBride...

Little House: The Rose Years (8 books)
  • Little House on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #1)
  • Little Farm in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #2)
  • On the Other Side of the Hill (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #4)
  • Little Town in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rose Years, #5)
  • New Dawn on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #6)
  • On the Banks of the Bayou (Little House: The Rose Years, #7)
  • Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years, #8)

“And reading is a wonderful thing for the mind. I have not been many places in my life. But in books, I have traveled all over the world.” 1 likes
“Sometimes when Rose was reading, she would catch a whiff of the musty smell of her book. She put her nose down in the fold and inhaled deeply so that wonderful smell, the smell of adventure in faraway lands, would fill her up. She rubbed her hand across the pages to feel the velvety surface of the paper. When she closed her eyes, her fingertips could even feel the words that were printed there, each letter raised just a little, almost like the special language that her blind aunt Mary could read.
To Rose, a book was as real and alive as if it breathed and walked and spoke.”
0 likes