Start by marking “The Abominable Snowman of Pasadena (Goosebumps, #38)” as Want to Read:
The Abominable Snowman of Pasadena  (Goosebumps, #38)

The Abominable Snowman of Pasadena (Goosebumps #38)

3.44  ·  Rating Details ·  2,811 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Jordan and his sister live in hot Pasadena, and just for once they'd like a real winter with real snow. Then their dad offers to take them to Alaska. But there's a catch. Dad wants to photograph the Abominable Snowman, but he's not camera-friendly.
Published September 1st 2003 by Scholastic (first published 1995)

Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Λίγο αφελές για τα γούστα μου, ακόμα κι αν μιλάμε για ένα παιδικό βιβλίο. Βέβαια, βασίζεται σε έναν ιδιαίτερα δημοφιλή κι εμπορικό θρύλο, αλλά αυτό δεν στέκεται αρκετό από μόνο του για να στηρίξει το όλο εγχείρημα που κάπου μοιάζει να χάνει.
Kristina
За първи път чета книга тази поредица и ми беше приятно. Ако трябва да бъда честна, имах доста по-големи очаквания и ми се искаше да има малко повече действие.

Идеална поредица за деца от възрастовата група 8-11 :)
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Well, THAT was weird. o.O But in a good way, I think. This is less of a horror story and more an adventure story, I'd say.

Jordan and Nicole Blake have never seen snow. They've spent their whole lives in sunny Pasadena, California. They try to imagine snow - but can't. Their father is a renowned photographer - and he's called off on assignment to track down an abominable snowman which has been spotted in Alaska. Since the kids' babysitter is not available, he's taking them with him.

Stunned and th
Weathervane
Dec 15, 2008 Weathervane rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goosebumps
An atrocious mess.

Jordan Blake and his sister Nicole live in California, and they're sick of the good weather. Their dad is a photographer who is easily distressed by Jordan's weak pranks.

Their dad goes to Alaska to search for the abominable snowman, and he figures it'd be a good idea to take his kids along with him.

Well, surprise, it wasn't.

Basically there's no way I can describe how truly terrible this book is without going into the ending, and I'm not going to do that. But rest assured that i
Molly
Nov 11, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
The entire series is corny, silly, far from scary, and bordering on stupid. But it's ADDICTIVE. It's a genuinely amusing series. Good for kicking back and relaxing.
Julia Brumfield
Jan 07, 2016 Julia Brumfield rated it it was ok
Shelves: book, ya-juvenile
Ghoosebumps as I mentioned before in another review has never been really my cup of tea but this one seemed to be somewhat interesting with the cover picture (again the cover picture doesn't even closely resembles what happens in the book).

Stine kept his characters basic - the ever-present squabbling sister and brother (is this a Stine basic?), the ever-occupied parent and the wish for something to do since the kids are bored. There really isn't much personality put into the characters so it's
David Santos
I have to take off points, because of the ending and we never learn about what happened to the "Snowman" after his escape. I hate it whens stories end just like that. The story looked promising. We had a guide that hated the kids (which we never read what happened to him either!)and that's always fun because it makes you believe he is up to something bad. I love snow, so I don't mind reading about it, but there was so much left out of this book there was almost no point in writing it. Its an ...more
Summer
Jul 30, 2014 Summer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, horror, goosebumps
Yeah, I'm another one of those adults taking a trip down memory lane. I loved checking out the Goosebumps books at my elementary school. I credit this series as being one that got me really into reading.

So, does it stand up to the test of time?

This one doesn't really. It has some nice well-rounded (albeit, cliche too) characters and a plot with some potential. The writing isn't bad for its time, but feels dated a couple decades later. I'm not the first to say that the title and the cover art ar
Glenn
Oct 16, 2013 Glenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Currently rereading my original Goosebumps collection

I iked this one until R. L. Stine ruined the ending by changing the plot and making it about 'magic snow'. I wanted more of the snowman! Also, this cover is fairy misleading. This book is not about The Abominable Snowman wreaking havoc across California. Not an entirely bad book, but could've focused more on the plot with the snowman.

Read from October 15, 2013 - October 15, 2013
Tracey
Sep 09, 2014 Tracey rated it it was ok
So what the hell was going on with the snowman? Was he an animal or did he used to be human? Why did he love trail mix so much? Why was he so helpful with the kids? And where the hell did he go when he ran off in Pasadena? My guess is that he's dead from overheating since R.L. Stine didn't bother to give me a proper ending.
Asher
Jan 19, 2010 Asher rated it it was amazing
THis book is interesting if you like a scary comedy. these kids go to alaska and its odd beacaues theyve never seen snow.i think thats odd that they have never seen snow when they live in the united states. it made me wonder, where do they go for there vacations. it is an odd book because of the fact that theres an abominable snowman. and then the fact that they have to goo search for it is even funnier.
Mac  Ross
May 13, 2015 Mac Ross rated it liked it
Unlike the first several books in the series (Goosebumps 2000), this book really wasn't really spooky or scary.

The story flows together really smoothly and there aren't any other plot holes. However, There were a few things that doesn't make any sense. And the story didn't leave any 'goosebumps' because as I have said, it wasn't really scary. Still, its a good book and its absolutely a decent read. Not R.L. Stine's greatest, but not too shabby either.
Drucilla
Jun 05, 2012 Drucilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goosebumps
A really interesting story even though the (view spoiler). The story would have been much better had (view spoiler), but I did like the ending.
Patrick
Nov 02, 2009 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Goosebumps. This is the series that kept me reading through my childhood. More than any other series, Goosebumps kept me interested in reading, and R.L. Stein is a wonderful children's writer. I applaud his efforts, and can't express enough my gratitude for the series.
Nothing♡ More
May 08, 2014 Nothing♡ More rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I absolutely love R.L. Stine. He is such a wonderful author. The books are always silly and have you on the edge of your seat.
Lisa
Mar 21, 2016 Lisa rated it it was ok
What a waste! I loved the first 80% that was all set in Alaska, but it lost me when they came back to Pasadena.
Felipe Guerrero
Oct 12, 2016 Felipe Guerrero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una de dos, o estoy muy insensibilizado o de plano esto no da miedo (y lo digo tomando en cuenta que es un libro para niños, mucho ojo).

Pero con esto no quiero decir que sea un mal libro, para nada, pero es mas de aventura. Este libro esta mas cerca de Jules Verne que de Stephen King, aun así muy disfrutable. La razón por la que no le doy la quinta estrella es por un elemento mágico que no tenia absolutamente ninguna razón de estar ahí, se siente tan fuera de lugar como brocoli en una pizza.
Kerry Croucier
Oct 03, 2016 Kerry Croucier rated it liked it
Read it to my son who enjoys a little scary, and wanted to read this after seeing the movie. It was enjoyable, especially for my 8-year-old.
Jay
Oct 29, 2015 Jay rated it it was ok
The Abominable Snowman of Pasadena isn't the greatest Goosebumps book out there. The scares aren't there, the plot has more holes than usual, and the monster isn't exactly the most formidable. But surprisingly, of all the books in the series. I think this is one that could actually have a few interesting sequels.

In the story, Jordan and Nicole live in Pasadena and they have never seen snow. One day, their dad gets the opportunity to photograph the abominable snowman up in Alaska and he decides t
Isabel Orama
Dec 06, 2014 Isabel Orama rated it it was amazing
The book that I read today was about two siblings named Jordan and Nicole Blake. They both live in Pasadena, California with their dad. Their mom lives with out them because their dad and mom got divorced. Jordan, Nicole, and their dad are tired of the heat. They have never seen snow before and are hoping to see it some day. One hot day, their father told them that he has to go to Alaska to find the abominable snowman for his research. Since the babysitter is busy and their mom has work to ...more
Cristina Boncea
E vorba despre Jordan și sora lui Nicole, care au 12 ani și locuiesc în Pasadena. Părinții lor sunt divorțați și tatăl lor este fotograf. Acesta primește slujba de a fotografia Teribilul om de zăpadă din Alaska (să-i zicem simplu TOZ). Cei trei merg acolo și stau la o cabană, ghidați de Arthur care are o sanie cu câini. Acesta e foarte speriat de TOZ și îi lasă baltă plecând cu trei dintre câini. Jordan și Nicole se rătăcesc încercând să-l oprească și ajung fix în peștera TOZ-ului. TOZ îi ridică ...more
Maggie Gordon
Jordan and Nicole are desperate to see snow, so when they dad is asked to go photograph a monster in Alaska, the two are ecstatic! The arctic, however, isn't super fun, and their guide is super creeped out by the rumours of the monster. So much that he ends up leaving the kids and their dad behind! In a series of stupid 12 year old hijinks, Jordan and Nicole stumble across the Abominable Snowman, who seems like pretty good folk despite all the gossip. He saves the kids and brings them back to ...more
Jaydon
Oct 15, 2015 Jaydon rated it it was amazing
Caleb Lattin
Mar 18, 2015 Caleb Lattin rated it really liked it
This book was ok. It was the biggest cliffhanger I have ever read. This book is called Gosebumps, but it didn't give me Gosebumps. It did make me mad though. It basically just ended. No ending or even a finishing scentence. In this book, two girls and their dad got to Alaska because their dad got hirede by the animal magizine to try and photograph this Abominable snowman creature that is supposably real. they go on an adventure and they find him, they find him alright.
I think this book could
Rocket to Mars
Dec 23, 2014 Rocket to Mars rated it did not like it
Shelves: picked
The premises of this book were nice: from the first few pages it's clear the story is setting itself up to be a Goosebumps retelling of King Kong. However, when it comes to the development, it all falls apart: keeping the total length of the book in consideration, the characters spend too much time in Alaska, causing the conclusion back in Pasadena to feel rushed. In particular, the events in the closing chapters of the story feel insipid, uninspired and are extremely disappointing.
The writing a
Connie
Source: I own this book.
Cost: Unknown

Title: The Abominable Snowman of Pasadena
Series: Goosebumps #38
Author: RL Stine
Overall Rating: 3 stars

Jordan and his sister have never seen snow, coming from sunny Pasadena. However, when they get the chance too, they realise that maybe every thing they think is wrong, and maybe it's not the snow they should be looking for. It should be the things that life in the snow.

I mean, it wasn't an amazing Goosebumps book. It didn't really stand out from an
Jerome
Apr 24, 2015 Jerome rated it liked it
Jordan and Nicole live in Pasadena but hate the hot weather, so they are excited to head to Alaska after their dad is paid to photograph an alleged Abominable Snowman appearance. Unfortunately, the family’s guide ditches them along with their food and supplies. The family ends up lost and stumbles into the lair of the Abominable Snowman.

Not very spooky or scary. The story is smooth for the most part, but it can get sloppy and implausible in parts, and quite boring in others.
Reymigius
Jan 23, 2016 Reymigius rated it it was ok
Alurnya sedikit terlalu cepat dan plotnya agak melompat-lompat. Banyak plothole yang setelah dipikir-pikir ternyata cukup mengganggu juga.

Twist di akhir mengecewakan, rasanya tidak korelatif dengan masalah utama yang disajikan. Ide ceritanya bagus sih, sayang R.L Stine menggarapnya dengan payah.

Well, surprisingly tokoh yang kusuka dari novel ini adalah si Manusia Salju itu sendiri. Bagaimana tidak? Dia monster yang doyan kismis! xD
Sherrie
Jan 16, 2016 Sherrie rated it really liked it
I've never read any of the Goosebumps books before. But I guess I'm going to have to put them on my ever growing series list. Pretty good book. I enjoyed Jordan and Nicole's trip to Alaska. They got to see snow and found a scary creature. And they brought the Snowman back to Pasadena. What happens then? You'll have to read the book to find out.
Alan Cruz
  • The Extreme (Animorphs, #25)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Ghosts: Tales to Haunt You
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)

“to see the drooling, pink mouth open” 0 likes